Uniforms and Rank/Grade

Started by ColonelJack, September 16, 2013, 04:41:39 PM

Panache

Quote from: lordmonar on September 23, 2013, 12:52:45 AM
That the Foreign Legion Pioneer Battalion. 

You don't want to mess with them....they look a little silly....but they earn those beards and are proud of their bling.

Also Sikhs.  Those are one group of people you don't want to mess with.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Panache on September 23, 2013, 05:23:13 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on September 23, 2013, 12:52:45 AM
That the Foreign Legion Pioneer Battalion. 

You don't want to mess with them....they look a little silly....but they earn those beards and are proud of their bling.

Also Sikhs.  Those are one group of people you don't want to mess with.

Don't forget the Gurkhas... meaner than junkyard dogs!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Shuman 14

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 21, 2013, 11:16:27 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on September 21, 2013, 06:49:28 PM
Which is why I recommend adopting a military style uniform for the sole CAP Corporate uniform that is not the current USAF uniform.

A modern version of the late WWII thru Vietnam khaki uniform of the Army Air Corps - Army Air Forces - USAF would look very professional.

You could continue to have USAF links by adding a few Air Force Blue highlights: continue to use the USAF garrison and combination covers, use the blue belt and blue name tags, senior member NCO stripes continue to be silver on blue, use the USAF shoulder rank slides on the khaki shirt.

Change the color of the tactical pants for the polo uniform from grey to khaki too, heck they even make a solid khaki BDU style uniform to replace your BBDU, BDU, ABU uniform with.

I definitely agree with the portion of your post that I put in bold but not much else.  Although I wouldn't mind a total khaki uniform but not with a BDU type of shirt.

I just threw the khaki BDU uniform out there to see what would stick.

I think the Khaki Dress and Service uniform is the way to go, if you're happy with BBDU as the field/work uniform so be it.

I was just thinking if khaki was adopted as the Corporate Dress/Service uniform, then go all in and make khaki the "color" of CAP, khaki tactical pants, Khaki BDUs, khaki flight suits... then people get use to seeing khaki and think CAP... think of it as a form of color branding.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

abdsp51

Quote from: shuman14 on September 23, 2013, 01:40:39 PM

I think the Khaki Dress and Service uniform is the way to go, if you're happy with BBDU as the field/work uniform so be it.

I was just thinking if khaki was adopted as the Corporate Dress/Service uniform, then go all in and make khaki the "color" of CAP, khaki tactical pants, Khaki BDUs, khaki flight suits... then people get use to seeing khaki and think CAP... think of it as a form of color branding.

Umm how about we stick with what we have and enforce the policies in place.  We don't need to change our colors especially to something like khaki everything.  Then there woudl be debates on what's the proper shade.  Do you really have that much disdain for AF Blue?

stillamarine

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 23, 2013, 02:58:46 PM

Umm how about we stick with what we have and enforce the policies in place.  We don't need to change our colors especially to something like khaki everything.  Then there woudl be debates on what's the proper shade.  Do you really have that much disdain for AF Blue?

I don't think it's so much disdain for AF blue as it is a desire for one uniform. I would not be opposed to that idea. I actually think that the khaki service uniform shown above looks pretty sharp. But of course there will never be agreement and if you suggest an idea then you are evil. Nobody on this board agrees on anything. Such is life.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

abdsp51

Suggesting an idea is great however but our uniforms need to stay close to AF. 

Storm Chaser

Quote from: lordmonar on September 22, 2013, 12:00:53 AM
+1

Blue BDU's are a "military style" uniform....even if the are not an USAF Military Style Uniform.

Take a white shirt....put button down pockets and epaulettes on it.....name tag, ribbons, wings......looks military to me......does not look like the USAF but there you go.

Just to state my preferences on this subject.

1) Everyone in USAF uniforms with the CAP Command Patch (or something suitable) on the Left Shoulder.
2) Everyone in a CAP "Corporate" Uniforms with the same shirt, shame pants, same hat (or not hat).
3) Status Quo.

+ 1 as well, except that my preferences are for 1 and 2, with 3 in a >very< distant third.

stillamarine

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 23, 2013, 03:17:39 PM
Suggesting an idea is great however but our uniforms need to stay close to AF.

But the AF will not allow everyone to wear their uniforms. That khaki uniform is a solution that looks professional that all can wear and has historic ties both to CAP and AF. I think it's a good suggestion not that person having a problem with blues. Which is what was suggested.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

ColonelJack

Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: ColonelJack on September 23, 2013, 04:30:06 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 22, 2013, 04:27:19 PM
I see no need for a service coat

Why not?

Jack

Probably same reason some folks like to wear utility uniforms all the time.

Grumpy

Quote from: shuman14 on September 21, 2013, 06:49:28 PM
Which is why I recommend adopting a military style uniform for the sole CAP Corporate uniform that is not the current USAF uniform.

A modern version of the late WWII thru Vietnam khaki uniform of the Army Air Corps - Army Air Forces - USAF would look very professional.

You could continue to have USAF links by adding a few Air Force Blue highlights: continue to use the USAF garrison and combination covers, use the blue belt and blue name tags, senior member NCO stripes continue to be silver on blue, use the USAF shoulder rank slides on the khaki shirt.

Change the color of the tactical pants for the polo uniform from grey to khaki too, heck they even make a solid khaki BDU style uniform to replace your BBDU, BDU, ABU uniform with.

Ah yes, the Silver Tans.  We didn't wear those year around though.  In the fall and winter we switched to Blues.

Luis R. Ramos

Oh no, Grumpy!

Now you will start another problem... Now someone will start arguing for yet another uniform to cover the off-season.

I do remember my first two years. 1985 through 1987. We had to switch from long-sleeve shirt and tie to short sleeve as seasons changed. I believe it was stated in CAPR 39-1. I think that back then was a regulation and not a manual.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Grumpy

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 23, 2013, 06:56:33 PM
Oh no, Grumpy!

Now you will start another problem... Now someone will start arguing for yet another uniform to cover the off-season.

I do remember my first two years. 1985 through 1987. We had to switch from long-sleeve shirt and tie to short sleeve as seasons changed. I believe it was stated in CAPR 39-1. I think that back then was a regulation and not a manual.

Flyer

Oops!

SunDog

I'm just barely old enough to remenber USAF 1505's, a khaki uniform that was wretched. I had occasion to wear it only once or twice. . .

Freshly pressed, it looked like an unmade bed in about ten minutes. If starched, it look like you slept it in after 20 minutes. Wasn't a uniform you could wear twice in a row. They disappeared long before the official drop date. . .new guy or old timer, I never met anyone who had bought a 1505 item.

Few one wore it unless they had to, and given the option, most preferred the open neck light blue shirt with the dark blue pants. Or, the non-camo green fatigues, which, perversley, did stay pressed with starch. Heavier material, maybe?

I imagine modern taxtile science could do domething with the fabric, keep it looking better. . .as long as it isn't that ghastly "double knit" quasi-khaki-looking thing the Navy had a while back.

Grumpy

Quote from: SunDog on September 23, 2013, 11:04:36 PM
I'm just barely old enough to remenber USAF 1505's, a khaki uniform that was wretched. I had occasion to wear it only once or twice. . .

Freshly pressed, it looked like an unmade bed in about ten minutes. If starched, it look like you slept it in after 20 minutes. Wasn't a uniform you could wear twice in a row. They disappeared long before the official drop date. . .new guy or old timer, I never met anyone who had bought a 1505 item.

Few one wore it unless they had to, and given the option, most preferred the open neck light blue shirt with the dark blue pants. Or, the non-camo green fatigues, which, perversley, did stay pressed with starch. Heavier material, maybe?

I imagine modern taxtile science could do domething with the fabric, keep it looking better. . .as long as it isn't that ghastly "double knit" quasi-khaki-looking thing the Navy had a while back.

I wore both the 505's and 1505's.  The 505's were of a heavier material and had to be starched and, yes, they wrinkled in about 5 to 10 minutes of putting them on.  They also had a bush jacket with a belt that was a pain in the tush.  You should have seen the shorts and pith helmet that was available too.

The 1505's were of a lighter material but I never starched them.  I did wash and iron them.

Here's a shot of 505"

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//post-214-1180477852.jpg

and the bush jacket       http://bobhudson.com/ebay/bushfront.jpg

Shuman 14

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 23, 2013, 02:58:46 PM

No I have no disdain for USAF Blue, the Air Force itself or CAP for that matter. The discussion at hand is ONE Corporate uniform that everyone can wear in CAP that the USAF will accept and the actual membership of CAP can accept and more importantly that everyone can wear.

The more military minded members seems to want something other than:

the polo shirt/tactical pants uniform

the white aviator /grey trouser uniform

the Corporate Dress Uniform

yet the USAF seems unlikely to lift the weight/grooming restrictions of the USAF sytle uniforms.

So I offer an alternative; a traditional American uniform, a color and style that harkens back to CAPs roots and birth underfire, a new Corporate uniform that EVERYONE can wear bringing "uniformity" back to the organization.

What is your distain for everyone being in the same uniform?
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: SunDog on September 23, 2013, 11:04:36 PM

I imagine modern taxtile science could do something with the fabric, keep it looking better. . .as long as it isn't that ghastly "double knit" quasi-khaki-looking thing the Navy had a while back.

Simple solution, Blauer, a civilian police uniform maker, as a style of uniforms called Streetgear, they look like tradional police (ie military-style) police duty uniforms. They come in many colors to include khaki.

I wear the LAPD Blue ones at work, I'm a VA Police officer on the civilian side, and I have two pairs of black Streetgear trousers that I wear as civilian dress pants.

They're a modern poly-cotton blend with some spandex woven in as well. Wash them on  cold permanent press cycle, dry they on low heat,  take them out alittle damp and hang them on a hanger and they are good to go.

Have had to wear the uniform 16 hours straight and they still look as good as when I took them off the hanger that morning.

So no need to bring back the old 1505s, order a modern updated version and there you go.
Joseph J. Clune

PHall

OFF TOPIC:

shuman14, a quick question, why does somebody who is not a member of CAP have such an interest in CAP's uniforms?
Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just curious.

OFF TOPIC

And now back to your regularly scheduled CAPTalk uniform thread!

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on September 24, 2013, 12:56:50 AM
OFF TOPIC:

shuman14, a quick question, why does somebody who is not a member of CAP have such an interest in CAP's uniforms?
Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just curious.

OFF TOPIC

And now back to your regularly scheduled CAPTalk uniform thread!

Good question, not sure really.  :-\

I guess I enjoy the debate and I'd like you guys and gals to look good doing the outstanding job that you do for all of us.
Joseph J. Clune

Brad

Speaking with regards to the golf shirt combo, I would be all for khaki pants as opposed to the gray pants. We had this uniform when I was in NROTC and it looks very sharp, and the AF has it too if you look in the current uniform regulation. They wear the blue polo shirt with the USAF logo on it and the brushed silver nameplate. Very sharp.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN