Uniforms and Rank/Grade

Started by ColonelJack, September 16, 2013, 04:41:39 PM

Майор Хаткевич

We don't enforce the standards now anyway. Make new members get measured for height/weight when they join, tell them to buy Blues or G/Ws or only G/Ws based on where they fall on the chart. Remeasure every year at the beginning of then year. Put the input power into CCs or Admins hands. Once a year is not unreasonable, and we'd have hard numbers to back it up. That way it doesn't lead to uncomfortable conversations, the members are on notice, and its up to the member to make the number or not.

Eclipse

When the most baseline expectations are "optional", it's no wonder more important details are treated that way as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Speaking as somebody who doesn't meet the height-weight standards to wear the Blues, but is also the Squadron's PA officer, all I would really like is that they authorize a type of headwear other than the ballcap for the G/Ws.  Maybe it's just me, but wearing a ballcap with a military-style uniform shirt just screams "unprofessional", and I would like to give any members of the media I meet a good impression of CAP.  And, let's face it, first impressions mean a lot.

PA Guy

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 20, 2013, 08:43:40 PM
We don't enforce the standards now anyway. Make new members get measured for height/weight when they join, tell them to buy Blues or G/Ws or only G/Ws based on where they fall on the chart. Remeasure every year at the beginning of then year. Put the input power into CCs or Admins hands. Once a year is not unreasonable, and we'd have hard numbers to back it up. That way it doesn't lead to uncomfortable conversations, the members are on notice, and its up to the member to make the number or not.

Sad to say but I think far too many CCs would just pencil whip it to keep from being the bad guy.  When we continue to see Wing/Region commanders ignoring the reg I don't have much faith in this type of solution.

SarDragon

Quote from: Panache on September 21, 2013, 06:36:23 AM
Speaking as somebody who doesn't meet the height-weight standards to wear the Blues, but is also the Squadron's PA officer, all I would really like is that they authorize a type of headwear other than the ballcap for the G/Ws.  Maybe it's just me, but wearing a ballcap with a military-style uniform shirt just screams "unprofessional", and I would like to give any members of the media I meet a good impression of CAP.  And, let's face it, first impressions mean a lot.

A. Why do we need headgear in the first place? It isn't required, and having it confers no special status.

B. What's wrong with a clean, neat ball cap? I wore a ball cap sort of hat most of the time I wore a working uniform in the Navy. I've also worn one in various CAP uniforms. It's no big deal.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

I just wouldn't wear any headgear with the aviator shirt uniform combination; problem solved.

Panache

Quote from: SarDragon on September 21, 2013, 07:52:00 AM
A. Why do we need headgear in the first place? It isn't required, and having it confers no special status.

(1) I personally think headgear with a uniform shirt looks more professional, and (2) I like to keep the sun off my head.

Quote from: SarDragon on September 21, 2013, 07:52:00 AM
B. What's wrong with a clean, neat ball cap? I wore a ball cap sort of hat most of the time I wore a working uniform in the Navy. I've also worn one in various CAP uniforms. It's no big deal.

Agreed, with the working uniforms it is no big deal, and appropriate.  But I don't think it's appropriate with the white aviator shirt/gray slacks ensemble. Especially if you're meeting some media types.

That being said, if I do wear a hat with the G/Ws, it's a plain unadorned "low profile" gray baseball cap.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 21, 2013, 07:57:08 AM
I just wouldn't wear any headgear with the aviator shirt uniform combination; problem solved.

I know it's not required.  But I would like it to be an option.

Critical AOA

The G/W is not a military style uniform. It is a corporate uniform.

Caps are standard headgear for many actual military uniforms and there is not a lack of professionalism in their appearance. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

wuzafuzz

Wear the polo shirt uniform.  It looks just fine with a ball cap or without.  You can sport the polo uniform with nice slacks or tactical (cargo) pants for that "man (or woman) of action" look.   ;). Plus, polos are what most agency reps seem to wear when talking to the media lately, particularly during disasters. 

In COWG we have a great ball cap available that helps "brand" us and provides a consistent element between a variety of uniform options.  One is pictured here:
http://www.capvolunteernow.com/todays-features/?colo_wings_flood_damage_photo_mission_enters_5th_day&show=news&newsID=17418

(Just in case anyone wonders, a CAP ball cap is authorized for wear with the flight suit by CAPR 39-1 table 2-4 line 6.)
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Ned

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 21, 2013, 01:21:30 PM

Why do you say that?  I would have thought just the opposite.  Indeed, the whole point of the G/W is to provide a military style uniform for members who can not or choose not to wear the AF style uniforms.

Seriously, the shirt is essentially identical to the AF style shirt except for color and we even use the same rules for placement of our military style grade sleeves, nameplates, ribbons, badges, etc.

I obviously agree that it is a corporate uniform, but I tend to think of it as the military style corporate uniform.  I think the NB took a large step forward in creating a professional military style uniform for our members who until that point had only the blazer uniform as an option for service uniform level situations.

Shuman 14

Which is why I recommend adopting a military style uniform for the sole CAP Corporate uniform that is not the current USAF uniform.

A modern version of the late WWII thru Vietnam khaki uniform of the Army Air Corps - Army Air Forces - USAF would look very professional.

You could continue to have USAF links by adding a few Air Force Blue highlights: continue to use the USAF garrison and combination covers, use the blue belt and blue name tags, senior member NCO stripes continue to be silver on blue, use the USAF shoulder rank slides on the khaki shirt.

Change the color of the tactical pants for the polo uniform from grey to khaki too, heck they even make a solid khaki BDU style uniform to replace your BBDU, BDU, ABU uniform with.

Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Майор Хаткевич

Shuman 14

Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

You all gonna let me in on the joke?
Joseph J. Clune

Private Investigator

Panache

Quote from: shuman14 on September 21, 2013, 08:16:00 PM
You all gonna let me in on the joke?

I'm just as confused as you are.

Critical AOA

Quote from: Ned on September 21, 2013, 03:08:35 PM
Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 21, 2013, 01:21:30 PM

Why do you say that?  I would have thought just the opposite.  Indeed, the whole point of the G/W is to provide a military style uniform for members who can not or choose not to wear the AF style uniforms.

Seriously, the shirt is essentially identical to the AF style shirt except for color and we even use the same rules for placement of our military style grade sleeves, nameplates, ribbons, badges, etc.

I obviously agree that it is a corporate uniform, but I tend to think of it as the military style corporate uniform.  I think the NB took a large step forward in creating a professional military style uniform for our members who until that point had only the blazer uniform as an option for service uniform level situations.

I think the white aviator shirt is just that, an aviator shirt.   You see corporate pilots through airline pilots wearing them as their uniform.  Even some flight schools have their CFIs wear them in an effort to appear more professional.  I don't recall seeing military types wear them though I guess it is possible.   I understand that you can wear all of your CAP bling on them in a faux military fashion but since you cannot wear actual military bling on them that would seem to indicate that it is not a military uniform. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Critical AOA

Quote from: shuman14 on September 21, 2013, 06:49:28 PM
Which is why I recommend adopting a military style uniform for the sole CAP Corporate uniform that is not the current USAF uniform.

A modern version of the late WWII thru Vietnam khaki uniform of the Army Air Corps - Army Air Forces - USAF would look very professional.

You could continue to have USAF links by adding a few Air Force Blue highlights: continue to use the USAF garrison and combination covers, use the blue belt and blue name tags, senior member NCO stripes continue to be silver on blue, use the USAF shoulder rank slides on the khaki shirt.

Change the color of the tactical pants for the polo uniform from grey to khaki too, heck they even make a solid khaki BDU style uniform to replace your BBDU, BDU, ABU uniform with.

I definitely agree with the portion of your post that I put in bold but not much else.  Although I wouldn't mind a total khaki uniform but not with a BDU type of shirt.

Luis R. Ramos

Which hats are to be worn with the white aviator shirt/gray pants combination?

The only combinations that are always proposed or seen with these alternate uniforms are either the service cap or flight cap. Neither protects from the sun or cold.

The flight cap leaves most of the sides exposed to sun and cold. Has no visor to be effective.

The service cap has a very small visor that may protect only from the sun. It does not protect from the elements either.

When we wear coats with the aviator shirt, it looks more like we are wearing a business suit and not an alternative to the military uniform. When the coat we wear with this shirt looks more like the Air Force Service Coat I will accept the line of "the aviator shirt is an alternative military-looking uniform to the Air Force uniform."

I will not propose we stop wearing the service or flight caps when in AF Blues since it is a tradition to wear both in the military, and the uniforms look incomplete without them. I just do not see the transition of the aviator shirt to be an alternate to a military uniform but a corporate uniform as stated before by others.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer