Uniforms and Rank/Grade

Started by ColonelJack, September 16, 2013, 04:41:39 PM

Ned

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 21, 2013, 11:11:50 PM
I think the white aviator shirt is just that, an aviator shirt.   You see corporate pilots through airline pilots wearing them as their uniform.  Even some flight schools have their CFIs wear them in an effort to appear more professional.  I don't recall seeing military types wear them though I guess it is possible.   I understand that you can wear all of your CAP bling on them in a faux military fashion but since you cannot wear actual military bling on them that would seem to indicate that it is not a military uniform.

We are probably just talking semantics then.  I can only agree that our G/W combination is "not a military uniform."  But the phrase I thought we were discussing was whether it was a military style uniform.  Like when you said

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck
The G/W is not a military style uniform.

My only point is that since the G/W was deliberately "styled" (made with same distinctive features as, and designed to display the same grade, ribbons, badges, etc.) as a military uniform, that it must be a "military style" uniform essentially by definition.

(And while I am not personally offended, I suspect some members might be by your reference to it being a "faux military fashion."  Most of us think we are participating in the Congressionally authorized civilian auxiliary to the Air Force, not a "faux military" organization.)

lordmonar

+1

Blue BDU's are a "military style" uniform....even if the are not an USAF Military Style Uniform.

Take a white shirt....put button down pockets and epaulettes on it.....name tag, ribbons, wings......looks military to me......does not look like the USAF but there you go.

Just to state my preferences on this subject.

1) Everyone in USAF uniforms with the CAP Command Patch (or something suitable) on the Left Shoulder.
2) Everyone in a CAP "Corporate" Uniforms with the same shirt, shame pants, same hat (or not hat).
3) Status Quo.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

stillamarine

Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Grumpy

"I don't recall seeing military types wear them though I guess it is possible.   I understand that you can wear all of your CAP bling on them in a faux military fashion but since you cannot wear actual military bling on them that would seem to indicate that it is not a military uniform."

Here, check out the Army's dress blues and the white aviator shirts.

http://www.army.mil/asu/

Grumpy

Here's another shot.

http://www.army.mil/asu/changes.html

lordmonar

Critical AOA

I guess Army uniforms have changed a bit since I was in during the 1980s.  So, I stand corrected.  I will concede that the white aviator can be considered a military style uniform.  Though on mine the most you would see is name tag, aviator wings and possibly epaulettes. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Grumpy

That's all I ever wear on mine.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Grumpy on September 22, 2013, 02:04:59 AM
Here's another shot.

http://www.army.mil/asu/changes.html

Look like Air France flight attendants   ???

Private Investigator

Quote from: Grumpy on September 22, 2013, 03:26:19 PM
That's all I ever wear on mine.

Are we still talking about stains?   >:D

Eclipse

The current version of the ASU was adopted in 2008, so if anything, as usual, CAP led the Army in adoption.

To say the Aviator Whites are a military-style uniform is a stretch, considering there's no headgear, no standardization on the
shirt or pants, and no service coat.  At best, it's an incomplete, 1/2-measure.

Shirts with epaulets are a universally recognized "service" uniform for all walks of life from the BSA through security guards, LEA, FDs, not
to mention mechanics, and other specialized trades and occupations.   In that context, and considering that historically a lot of more formal
garments have military origins, that's about the extent of the legacy, and the same could be said for a lot of other clothing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Quote from: Eclipse
To say the Aviator Whites are a military-style uniform is a stretch, considering there's no headgear, no standardization on the
shirt or pants, and no service coat.  At best, it's an incomplete, 1/2-measure.

I see no need for a service coat but I agree with the concept of having the pants standardized.  My choice would be something utilitarian rather than dressy. 

Shirts with epaulets are a universally recognized "service" uniform for all walks of life from the BSA through security guards, LEA, FDs, not
to mention mechanics, and other specialized trades and occupations.   In that context, and considering that historically a lot of more formal
garments have military origins, that's about the extent of the legacy, and the same could be said for a lot of other clothing.

Yeah, when I was flying as a flight mechanic for charters, I was required to wear an aviator shirt with epaulets.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on September 22, 2013, 04:27:19 PMI see no need for a service coat but I agree with the concept of having the pants standardized.  My choice would be something utilitarian rather than dressy. 

There's a lot of members who have duties that need one.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

Well, judging by the impression I've gotten from skimming these pages, I'd say I'm in the minority of senior members who actually enjoys and takes pride in wearing my USAF Blues, if only for the fact that I am medically disqualified from the Real Military (tm). I get to stay involved and stay in uniform, and make good on the oath of office I took as a Midshipman as best I can given our missions, plus having found a mindset of discipline that works effectively for me since high school with NJROTC.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

ZigZag911

SHUman 14, I've been saying for years that we ought to return CAP to heritage USAF khaki uniform for service dress.

I did not realize there was a khaki utility uniform commercially available, but it makes as much sense as Blue BDUs.

Luis R. Ramos

Those of you arguing the White / Grays are a military uniform, why you could have posted something similar to this Youtube posting...

Le Boudin - March of the Foreign Legion (120 Beats)

I still do not consider our Gray / White is a military uniform, but after watching this I may reconsider in some years...

I hope that you guys arguing for a headgear for this uniform do not push for the Kepi Blanc in the future...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

lordmonar

That the Foreign Legion Pioneer Battalion. 

You don't want to mess with them....they look a little silly....but they earn those beards and are proud of their bling.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 22, 2013, 07:44:14 PM
Those of you arguing the White / Grays are a military uniform, why you could have posted something similar to this Youtube posting...

Le Boudin - March of the Foreign Legion (120 Beats)

I still do not consider our Gray / White is a military uniform, but after watching this I may reconsider in some years...

I hope that you guys arguing for a headgear for this uniform do not push for the Kepi Blanc in the future...

Flyer

And....here it is in the traditional 88 bpm:

http://youtu.be/WXoYaHPYxr0

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Luis R. Ramos

France may have lost many battles. But their soldiers have shown again and again their valor.

The French Foreign Legion, in Cameron, Mexico, a company-sized unit fought a Mexican army several times their size for a long time. To the last two or three soldiers.

They lost Dien Bien Phu, but again they showed valor and determination. During that battle, French paratroopers and Foreign Legionnaires would drop at night to strengthen the garrison. And they would be decimated in hours by the Vietcong. And they kept coming night after night in battalion- and company-sized units during the battle after knowing their previous comrades had been killed. France just did not have the large pool of men required for the task.

The Legion has won its reputation as an elite unit, on the blood of their fallen members.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Panache

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 21, 2013, 11:48:29 PM
Which hats are to be worn with the white aviator shirt/gray pants combination?

The only combinations that are always proposed or seen with these alternate uniforms are either the service cap or flight cap. Neither protects from the sun or cold.

And that's a very good point.  Neither the flight cap or the combination cover are really very effective in that regard.  Unfortunately, I don't know much about hat styles to make a suggestion.  Maybe CAPHQ should hire a good milliner?