Squadron Patch Criteria

Started by JROB, February 06, 2010, 04:07:21 AM

JROB

My squadron commander and I were discussing the possibility of setting a criteria for the awarding of the squadron patch. I was wondering of any other unit does this? During my time with another squadron cadets had to complete the curry achievement to be allowed to wear the unit patch.
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

B.Kahuna

I've never seen it done. IMHO, squadron patches can be extremely unifying...I don't really see anything wrong with making C/Amn a requirement, although I  wouldn't make it any stricter than that.

arajca

The unit I work with awards the sqdn patch to cadets when the complete the Curry and seniors when they complete Level I. It is done at the monthly awards and promotions ceremony.

High Speed Low Drag

When our cadets join, they pay a $16 "dquadron fee" for which they immediately get a SQ T-shirt (required as a cadet trainee uniform), a SQ patch, and "buy-in" for collar brass.
I apologize ffor any missspellings - I am in tghe middle of a party tright now.
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

JayT

Quote from: High Speed Low Drag on February 06, 2010, 04:49:56 AM
When our cadets join, they pay a $16 "dquadron fee" for which they immediately get a SQ T-shirt (required as a cadet trainee uniform), a SQ patch, and "buy-in" for collar brass.

And a good time you're having I see!
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

MikeD

Then what are you doing on CAPTalk????

Rotorhead

I object to withholding any uniform or standard part of a uniform until a criteria is met unless that is mandated by regulation.

Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Shotgun

Timely topic - I was just updating our SOI to reflect our tradition with the Squadron Patch.

Cadets are awarded the squadron patch after they graduate from encampment. It is actually a huge motivational tool for cadets - especially for cadets who are on the fence about attending. We actually had 4 cadets attend encampment in another state so they could wear get their patches.

After they are given their patch they are required to memorize the Heraldry and are considered out of uniform if they do not have it sewn on within a week.

Here's the webpage regarding our patch: http://tinyurl.com/yzfw2ra

Only 5 or 6 of my Senior Members actually wear BDU's. They are awarded the patch after the complete Level 1. It is freely given to cadets. Senior members pay $2.50

Shotgun

We are thinking of doing something along these lines.
I like the idea of including a T-Shirt.

Our main reason for implementing the fee is that our cadets are quick to get BDU and Blues uniforms from what we we can provide and the local surpluse store. However, they seem to take much longer in ordering their patches and insignia. The initial fee would cover those items also.

MIKE

Quote from: Rotorhead on February 06, 2010, 01:30:58 PM
I object to withholding any uniform or standard part of a uniform until a criteria is met unless that is mandated by regulation.

I would rather have nobody wear squadron patches/hats/shirts/PTU etc, then force members to buy them.  Don't even feel like mandating them if they are provided for free.  IMO anything other than the basic uniform WRT insignia should be considered optional... If you want uniformity then it starts there.

Death to patches!  >:D
Mike Johnston

EMT-83

I know of a squadron that issues uniform items to cadets one piece at a time. Meet some requirement, earn your blouse. Do do something else, earn your cover.

The new cadet who shows up at O-fight day without a uniform is an ongoing problem.

davidsinn

Quote from: EMT-83 on February 06, 2010, 03:53:42 PM
I know of a squadron that issues uniform items to cadets one piece at a time. Meet some requirement, earn your blouse. Do do something else, earn your cover.

The new cadet who shows up at O-fight day without a uniform is an ongoing problem.

That's not right at all. They should be smacked senseless by their next higher command.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

NIN

Quote from: MikeD on February 06, 2010, 05:38:54 AM

Then what are you doing on CAPTalk????

No kidding, I thought precisely that.  Either he's way too addicted to CAP-Talk, or the party is way lame.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: Man Of Action on February 06, 2010, 02:10:05 PM

We are thinking of doing something along these lines.
I like the idea of including a T-Shirt.

Our main reason for implementing the fee is that our cadets are quick to get BDU and Blues uniforms from what we we can provide and the local surpluse store. However, they seem to take much longer in ordering their patches and insignia. The initial fee would cover those items also.

$50 to the unit on joining.

Gets you: Flight cap device, 2 x wing patches, collar insignia (now 2x chevrons versus cutouts and chevrons), nametag, Curry ribbon w/ribbon holder, 2 x CAP Tapes, 2 x name tapes, 1 squadron patch, BDU belt, boot blousers and a BDU cap. 

We were pretty good about issuing/recovering BDUs, so probably 98% of the cadets get issued BDUs, and they're 100% ready to be equipped when their FCU gets mailed to them.  The only thing that cadets have to buy for their blues are a v-neck t-shirt, socks and shoes (and sometimes we have those to issue, but they're far more hit-or-miss) and black t-shirts, socks and boots for their BDUs (and sometimes we can issue boots, too, but those are pretty hit-or-miss as well..)

By the end of CBT, we had everybody in a correct uniform.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spike

Quote from: MIKE on February 06, 2010, 03:21:03 PM
Quote from: Rotorhead on February 06, 2010, 01:30:58 PM

I would rather have nobody wear squadron patches/hats/shirts/PTU etc, then force members to buy them.  Don't even feel like mandating them if they are provided for free.  IMO anything other than the basic uniform WRT insignia should be considered optional... If you want uniformity then it starts there.

Death to patches!  >:D

Mike Wow.

The Squadron I Command has been around since 1950.  We have a very distinctive squadron patch that in no way matches heraldry guidelines today.  A few years ago, the Wing and Region tried to force the patch off of the uniform stating it "did not meet criteria or form".  Well, we researched and found out it had special approval by both the AF and the Army heraldry department, and dated back to 1944.

The patch is a reminder of our past, and we are proud to be one of a few CAP units that wear an "oddly" shaped patch.

The Squadron provides the patch when the Cadet or Senior Member shows up on E-Services, and the very next meeting night we have a ceremony to give the patch out (which also dates back to 1962). 

I feel my members take more pride in the Squadron if they understand the history and meaning of what they get or what they do. 

flyboy53

JROB..I think waiting until a cadet earns a Curry or a senior member completes Level i before presenting them with a squadron patch, is a great morale device. Just do it.

When I was a SP, you weren't allowed to wear your beret until graduation and it was part of the ceremony. Then my first tour overseas was to the 21st Composite Wing (now Space Wing), Alaskan Air Command, at Elmendorf AFB. We didn't get our wing patches right away. Mine were presened by my NCOIC after I had completed 5-level training. Whether it was intended or not, that beret and functional badge and the first command and wing patches each had an extra special meaning for me.

Marines have a ceremony during basic training where they are presented their globe and anchor devices after a rather difficult week in the field. I've seen Marines cry because it recognizes their acceptance.

Rotorhead

Quote from: davidsinn on February 06, 2010, 03:57:37 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on February 06, 2010, 03:53:42 PM

That's not right at all. They should be smacked senseless by their next higher command.

Absolutely. If NHQ wanted it that way, they'd have mandated it and would send uniform items piecemeal.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

Rotorhead

Quote from: flyboy1 on February 06, 2010, 07:22:16 PM
JROB..I think waiting until a cadet earns a Curry or a senior member completes Level i before presenting them with a squadron patch, is a great morale device. Just do it.

Just do what? Make up your own regs? There's a good example for cadets, eh?
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott, AZ

TACP

Quote from: Rotorhead on February 07, 2010, 01:41:22 AM

Pretty sure there's no reg on that... Squadron patch is an optional uniform item, so the squadron would not be violating the regs by awarding it for an achievement.

Spike

Quote from: TACP on February 07, 2010, 03:31:19 AM
Quote from: Rotorhead on February 07, 2010, 01:41:22 AM

Pretty sure there's no reg on that... Squadron patch is an optional uniform item, so the squadron would not be violating the regs by awarding it for an achievement.

In fact I can make my Squadron Members earn the patch any way I see fit.  Just don't cross that hazing line or NATHAN will show up and put you in your place!