Senior Officer Correspondence Course

Started by rroberts, November 03, 2009, 03:43:37 AM

rroberts

Good evening everyone,
I have heard through the grapevine that there could be a new Senior Officer Correspondence Course that would replace the EC13 course.

Should I go ahead and take the EC13 or should I wait and take the new course?

Thank you,
Bob Roberts

Eclipse

The new course is slated to be available starting 1 Jan, and you are supposed to be enrolled in the old course before then to continue with that one.

If you are a newer member not in a hurry for the credit, I'd wait for the new one.  If you need to get it done in the next month or two for promotion, go for the old one.

More detail here: http://tinyurl.com/yjz5ggp

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on November 03, 2009, 03:49:43 AM
The new course is slated to be available starting 1 Jan, and you are supposed to be enrolled in the old course before then to continue with that one.

If you are a newer member not in a hurry for the credit, I'd wait for the new one.  If you need to get it done in the next month or two for promotion, go for the old one.

I would need to get mine done by September-October of next year. I'm assuming the new course will also apply to cadets?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 03, 2009, 12:55:02 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 03, 2009, 03:49:43 AM

I would need to get mine done by September-October of next year. I'm assuming the new course will also apply to cadets?

Yep. The new CAPSOC, according to what I've read so far, will be entirely online, using the BlackBoard system that is also used for SOS via correspondence.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Short Field

I know one of the people reviewing/editing the lessons on the new course.  I can't speak for all the lessons, but I do know that in a few of them at least, the reviewing/editing process greatly shortened, clarified, and improved the final product.  If all the reviewers are doing the same level of work, this should be a great on-line course.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

rroberts

Sounds like the new product may be pretty good.  I use BlackBoard at our College and like it alot.  I'm not in any rush so I'll just wait for the new product.

Thanks!

Airrace

I have taken the EC13 I would wait for the new course. I was disapointed in the material  in the EC13 and am glad to hear that they are comming up with a new course.

Hawk200

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 03, 2009, 12:55:02 PMI'm assuming the new course will also apply to cadets?

No. It's the Senior Member Officer Course, a requirement for Senior Member Captain. It's not a requirement of any type for cadets.

Eeyore

It isn't a requirement for Cadets, but they do have the option of taking ECI13 instead of attending COS. I believe he was asking if Cadets will be taking the new online Senior Officer Course instead of attending COS or if they will no longer have that option at all.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: edmo1 on November 04, 2009, 07:28:33 PM
It isn't a requirement for Cadets, but they do have the option of taking ECI13 instead of attending COS. I believe he was asking if Cadets will be taking the new online Senior Officer Course instead of attending COS or if they will no longer have that option at all.

This^^^

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 04, 2009, 07:26:28 PM
No. It's the Senior Member Officer Course, a requirement for Senior Member Captain. It's not a requirement of any type for cadets.

Maybe we should teach SM a little about the cadet program for their own benefit.

So the question is, does the ECI13 go away forever, and cadets aiming for the Eaker can take the new test, or do cadets keep ECI13/Loose that option (which would be very unfortunate)

jimmydeanno

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 04, 2009, 07:46:10 PMSo the question is, does the ECI13 go away forever, and cadets aiming for the Eaker can take the new test, or do cadets keep ECI13/Loose that option (which would be very unfortunate)

I would be interested in finding out how many cadets choose the AFIADL course in lieu of COS or RCLS.  I would suspect the number is very low considering that COS has 100+ attendees each year, RCLS' (so I'm told) graduate about 400 cadets a year.  We don't have 500 Eaker Cadets a year (I don't think...).

BTW, NHQ says that this NEW course will be open for cadets to take for their Eaker.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Майор Хаткевич

Eaker Fact Sheet says we have 200 Eaker's per year. Then again, not every COS cadet becomes a Spaatz cadet, and neither are they all C/Majors on the boarder of the Eaker.

Hawk200

Quote from: edmo1 on November 04, 2009, 07:28:33 PMIt isn't a requirement for Cadets, but they do have the option of taking ECI13 instead of attending COS.

Do they? I will accept that it may have been permitted at one time, but didn't see anything in the latest 52-16 (the latest that includes change 1 dated 1 Jul 2009). Anyone got a reference for it?

Edit: Never mind, just found it. Para 2-8g(2).

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 04, 2009, 07:46:10 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on November 04, 2009, 07:26:28 PM

Maybe we should teach SM a little about the cadet program for their own benefit.

What does teaching senior members about the cadet program have to do with whether or not cadets are allowed to take a senior member course?

Майор Хаткевич

You just found the reference in CAPR 52-16 and you need to ask me why I think SMs need to learn more about the Cadet Program?

Maybe it was worth looking up before trying to dress me down with underlining to show my feeble cadet self that SM wisdom.

davidsinn

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 05, 2009, 03:29:28 AM
You just found the reference in CAPR 52-16 and you need to ask me why I think SMs need to learn more about the Cadet Program?

Maybe it was worth looking up before trying to dress me down with underlining to show my feeble cadet self that SM wisdom.

Easy there...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

I'm not crossing any lines here.

I just don't appreciate it when people throw something at me before taking the foot out of their mouth.

Hawk200

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 05, 2009, 03:29:28 AM

I had been looking for it, simply missed it. But I have serious doubts that you actually knew the reference, or even which publication was applicable, so you can dump your drama queen act. I was conducting Cadet Programs before you even knew what CAP was, and I've forgotten more about it than you've ever learned.

As to the question: What does teaching senior members about the cadet program have to do with whether or not cadets are allowed to take a senior member course? You can answer that if you have any desire to be taken seriously.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 05, 2009, 03:47:13 AM
But I have serious doubts that you actually knew the reference, or even which publication was applicable, so you can dump your drama queen act.

There we go again! My feeble cadet mind just can't compare to the WIWAC / Olde School SMs here. After all, I must have been handed my Earhart by national, without learning anything.

Take a peek here then if you are so sure I'm not knowledgeable about the options for the Eaker.

QuoteI was conducting Cadet Programs before you even knew what CAP was, and I've forgotten more about it than you've ever learned.

From what I've seen, all of those 30-40 Year members who were all [Hot-poop] cadets back in the day are very much behind on the modern cadet program.

I'm also pretty sure I know a lot about the cadet program, main difference is I didn't forget, and I do remember. I've been able to quote certain regulations down to the sub-letters when needed.

QuoteAs to the question: What does teaching senior members about the cadet program have to do with whether or not cadets are allowed to take a senior member course? You can answer that if you have any desire to be taken seriously.

Well, lets take a look. Not only are you acting unbecoming of, you just assumed that:

-I have no idea what I'm talking about, even though you were proven wrong.
- I didn't know where a reference was, even though I knew what I am allowed to take, unlike some.
-I'm a drama queen - very mature.
-Your years of forgetting the Cadet Program are superior to my years of learning it, retaining it, and using it.

I have no desire of being taken seriously by someone who has their foot so far in their mouth that it comes back out through the back exit.

Hawk200

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 05, 2009, 04:01:13 AMFrom what I've seen, all of those 30-40 Year members who were all [Hot-poop] cadets back in the day are very much behind on the modern cadet program.

And it doesn't matter, seniors only need to know about the cadet program if they are conducting it. Any other reason is "Nice to know" or "Good for you!"

If they don't conduct it, or are directly involved in it, it doesn't serve any benefit.

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 05, 2009, 04:01:13 AM
QuoteAs to the question: What does teaching senior members about the cadet program have to do with whether or not cadets are allowed to take a senior member course? You can answer that if you have any desire to be taken seriously.

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 05, 2009, 04:01:13 AMWell, lets take a look. Not only are you acting unbecoming of,

Acting unbecoming? Apparently your mirror is out of service.

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 05, 2009, 04:01:13 AM-I have no idea what I'm talking about, even though you were proven wrong.

I wasn't proven wrong about anything. And I actually posted the reference that I had been searching for.
Don't claim credit for a win that doesn't exist. You didn't prove anything, you chose to take offense at nothing.

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 05, 2009, 04:01:13 AM- I didn't know where a reference was, even though I knew what I am allowed to take, unlike some.

"Allowed to take" means nothing if you can't back it up. Black and white references will always trump "I was told..."

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 05, 2009, 04:01:13 AM-Your years of forgetting the Cadet Program are superior to my years of learning it, retaining it, and using it.

And then there's the things I've learned that you don't even know yet. 40 beats 18 in more ways than one.

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 05, 2009, 04:01:13 AMI have no desire of being taken seriously by someone who has their foot so far in their mouth that it comes back out through the back exit.

If that's what you want to say about everyone on the board, that's your call. This isn't a one-on-one conversation.

lordmonar

Okay....that's enought!

Take it to PM please.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP