CAP Cutouts for SM on BDU's

Started by Smoothice, September 21, 2009, 05:56:04 PM

Smoothice

I am sending out my BDU's to get the goods sewn on. My question is, I cannot seem to find an actual picture of how to sew on the Cutouts (Senior member, no rank yet).

In which direction do I orientate the CAP to the collar?
Does anyone know where there is a photo?

DC

The illustration is actually for blues, but the placement is pretty much the same. 1" from the front edge of the collar, parallel to that edge, centered vertically.

Smoothice

LtCol Hooligan

Make sure the P is at the bottom of the right side collar!!  Oh and also fold do not cut!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

SarDragon

Also, the vertical part of the C and P are parallel to the front edge of the collar.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

And it's 1 inch from the white to the front edge of the collar.

Not from the blue
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Chicago_Pilot

I ran into this same problem when I tried to get CAP cutouts on my BDUs.  It seems silly that the all the information sent to new members shows lots of pictures of people in uniforms that are NOT SMWOG.  I was even sent some nice glossy photos specifically attempting to show uniform regulations to new members, but not one of the pictures was a SMWOG.

We still have a way to go to give new members a "great start."

RiverAux

Requiring SMWOG to put cutouts on both sides of their BDUs is one of the dumbest CAP regulations we have.  Who wants to sew something on that they are almost going to immediately have to replace?  They should just leave the "rank" side empty for them. 

DC

Quote from: RiverAux on September 22, 2009, 02:57:12 AM
Requiring SMWOG to put cutouts on both sides of their BDUs is one of the dumbest CAP regulations we have.  Who wants to sew something on that they are almost going to immediately have to replace?  They should just leave the "rank" side empty for them.
Yeah, but that would be far too convenient and make far too much sense for it to ever be approved.  ::)

Hawk200

Quote from: DC on September 22, 2009, 03:33:13 AM
Yeah, but that would be far too convenient and make far too much sense for it to ever be approved.  ::)

No kidding.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Or just use metal CAP cutouts until they get their 2nd Lt.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BuckeyeDEJ

The other dimension no one's mentioned (and I'm surprised)... you're only allowed 1/8" of blue border around the insignia. So it's actually 7/8" from the edge of the collar to the blue, and 1" from the edge of the collar to the white.

Too many senior members don't look at the book, and I've seen as much as the entire piece of fabric left visible around the insignia.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Gunner C

Requiring SMWOG to put cutouts on both sides of their BDUs is one of the dumbest CAP regulations we have. 
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Hawk200

Quote from: CyBorg on September 22, 2009, 03:36:28 AMOr just use metal CAP cutouts until they get their 2nd Lt.

Why bother in the first place? Yeah, OK, they're cheap, but why should they be needed in the first place?

On a side note, eliminate them for our Senior Member NCO's too. Sleeve rank and collar insignia is seriously idiotic. The only people that should have anything on the collar (on the senior side) should be those with officer rank.

DC

Quote from: CyBorg on September 22, 2009, 03:36:28 AM

Or just use metal CAP cutouts until they get their 2nd Lt.
Then, age notwithstanding, they would be identical to C/ABs... A young new SM could easily be confused for an old cadet.

I'm all for just leaving the collar clean. They're 'slick-epauleted' in blues, so why not with BDUs?

Smoothice

great info all! Thank you. Can someone post a close-up photo of what they actually look like sewn on the BDU's??
I don't want to mess them up!

Hawk200

Quote from: DC on September 22, 2009, 05:07:32 AMThey're 'slick-epauleted' in blues, so why not with BDUs?

Of all the reasons against collar insignia for SMs, I never thought of this one. I think it's pretty compelling.

Nick

Quote from: DC on September 22, 2009, 05:07:32 AMThey're 'slick-epauleted' in blues, so why not with BDUs?

Figure 2-3 and 2-5, note 1: Senior members without grade and NCOs and Airmen wearing chevrons on the sleeve wear the CAP lapel/collar insignia on both sides of collar.

At least they're staying consistent between blues and BDUs.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

ßτε

QuoteThey're 'slick-epauleted' in blues

What do you mean by 'slick-epauleted'?

MSgt Van

Quote from: Hawk200 on September 22, 2009, 05:05:02 AM
...a side note, eliminate them for our Senior Member NCO's too. Sleeve rank and collar insignia is seriously idiotic. The only people that should have anything on the collar (on the senior side) should be those with officer rank.

:clap: