Main Menu

medic gear

Started by maverik, May 16, 2009, 09:55:47 PM

maverik

So I was wondering what supplies were in yalls medical gear? Mine is just a standard first-aid kit from the surplus store.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Spike

What the heck is a "yalls"??

maverik

y'alls you alls (gotta love mid-west tounge)
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Eclipse

Nobody from the Mid-Western US says "yalls".

What's a "tounge"?

"That Others May Zoom"

maverik

oh lord okay reqind and let's get on topic haha.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

whatevah

All the average GT member should be carrying is basic first aid stuff and a CPR shield.  Really, that's it.  CAP is not an EMS agency and does not provide training on how to use medical supplies.  I've been at encampments where the cadet medics were carrying full EMT gear and were complaining that they couldn't carry oxygen, too.   That's ridiculous.

I recommend that the GT vehicle should have some extra supplies incase the first aid kits carried by the members are not sufficient, to include a few elastic bandages and antiseptic spray, neosporin, etc.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Eclipse

Bingo - for 99% of activities, the "medics" are "9-1-1".

For the other 1%, ORM should be nixing them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pumbaa

Yawl is that little boat....

Or is it U'all that little trailer behind your car...

SJFedor

Quote from: SARADDICT on May 16, 2009, 09:55:47 PM
So I was wondering what supplies were in yalls medical gear? Mine is just a standard first-aid kit from the surplus store.

You don't need anything more then that.

For CAP? I carry a nice little first aid kid w/ some extra trauma dressings.

My first in bag? That's got all sorts of neat BLS toys. But you'll never see me carrying that bag in the course of my CAP duties.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

maverik

No I don't I need to know what to carry I just wanted to see what other members were carrying for their parts of the country,
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT

♠SARKID♠

I just carry the basic first aid kit; the only thing I would like but don't carry are splinting devices and large dressings.  But, that's what sticks and somebody's t-shirt are for (kickin' it Boy Scout style).

CadetProgramGuy

Lets see in my 24 gear I have a basic first aid kit as dictated by GT Manual.

In my "Go Bag" I have BP kit, flashlight, pocket mask, sam splint, various gauze, (2x2, 4x4, 5x9) Various assortment of bandages, clip on light for a hat, 2 water bottles, MRE, trauma shears, pen light, various types of tape, a bunch of gloves, set of sterile gloves.

I throw my go bag into the vehicle, take it to the meetings, ect..... I check it once a week to make sure the gloves didn't melt together in the heat of the car.

Eclipse

I had to repack things anyway, so here you go:

The only reason I have a leg bag is that it came with the tac vest (which rarely wear), and was full when I got it.

Space blanket
Lots of gauze bandages
Lots of moleskin
CPR shield
Gloves
Stretch bandage
Sunscreen lipbalm
Various band-aids
Tagaderms
Couple pairs of scissors.
Tape.

and...

burn cream that expired in 1993 (?!)
and Advil that expired in 2006.   (both disposed)

I also need to swap out the gloves, and I should have some hand cleaner in there.

I have a couple large containers with a ton of resupply and stuff I'll never use (surgical staple pliers?! - a nurse gave me a bunch of stuff).

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Did you guys forget the rules for this forum?
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on May 17, 2009, 03:02:25 PM
Did you guys forget the rules for this forum?

I guess I must have - it "tools of the trade", and we're discussing "tools".

"That Others May Zoom"

Lt Oliv

QuoteKeep it on topic.   Example: this isn't the place for weapons chat since we're unarmed as CAP members.   Likewise, CAP is not a medical organization so medic-bag chats will be considered off-topic as well.

ol'fido

Quote from: Eclipse on May 16, 2009, 10:39:57 PM
Nobody from the Mid-Western US says "yalls".

What's a "tounge"?

Ya'all might not in Chicago, but it's common speech in Southern Illinois. Ya'all have a nice day now, hear.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

isuhawkeye

before the thread gets locked.  I prefer this companies kits

www.promedkits.com

unfortunately several of the larger companies have flat out stolen their designs

DC

For CAP use I have a small first aid kit that I clip onto my camelback. It's a little more comprehensive than what the 24hr kit calls for, but nothing ridiculous.

I keep a much larger bag in my trunk on the off chance I drive past an accident on the interstate or something... Its got just about everything I would want for BLS, without getting into the ridiculous (in that case I'd want O2, a halligan tool, and an OB kit!)

notaNCO forever

I just carry the required gear.