Main Menu

Squadrons in England?

Started by JoeTomasone, January 15, 2009, 04:45:45 AM

JoeTomasone

I'll be in England next week on business and it occurred to me that if there was a Squadron nearby, it might be interesting to check them out.   However, I was unable to find any place that lists overseas Squadrons.   Anyone know where to look or have any data?   I will be in Oxford and Cambridge.

Pylon

I remember being in Cambridge when I was on IACE.  There are definitely Air Training Command (ATC) units around those areas.  It could be interesting if you were able to check out one of the local ATC cadet meetings, if there aren't any overseas cadet units. 

The overseas squadrons are limited to US Military Installations, and USAFE has presence at RAF Stations Mildenhall and Lakenheath which aren't too far from Cambridge (maybe 25 to 50 miles?).  RAF Station Feltwell and RAF Croughton, also USAFE bases, aren't too much farther from Cambridgeshire either.  All four USAFE bases in England are probably within 50 miles of Cambridge.  Your best bet is to do some digging for overseas squadrons at those locations. 

Have a jolly good time, enjoy a tall pint of Kronenburg 1664 or a Boddingtons bitter, and remember to look right when stepping off the curb.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Timbo

Quote from: Pylon on January 15, 2009, 04:58:53 AM
Have a jolly good time, enjoy a tall pint of Kronenburg 1664 or a Boddingtons bitter, and remember to look right when stepping off the curb.  ;)

Lets not encourage drinking here.  There are Cadets around. 

As far as Squadrons go, doesn't NHQ have a listing??

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: Timbo on January 15, 2009, 06:55:07 AM

I would tend to think Cadets on this board (and in general) realize this "encouragement" isn't in bad taste, and is between two adults who are well above drinking age.*  No harm in that just "because there are Cadets around".

*In no way am I implying the two gentlemen discussing alcoholic beverages are old.  (Or am I?   :P :P)

*Don't hurt me.*

SarDragon

According to here, dated 8/08, there are currently no OS units in England. There are two in Japan, and two in Germany.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fifinella

No OS units in the UK currently, just ATC (Air Cadets), as mentioned.  However, Fifinella is about an hour from Oxford... ;)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

O-Rex

Quote from: Fifinella on January 15, 2009, 11:51:49 AM
No OS units in the UK currently, just ATC (Air Cadets), as mentioned.  However, Fifinella is about an hour from Oxford... ;)

I met a couple of ATC Air Cadets who were in FL for IACE, they were really sharp.

Have you had a chance to be a 'fly on the wall' at any ATC funtions?  I saw their website and found their program interesting, particularly their Senior Program, which is much different than ours i.e., enlisted and officer career paths, and that that Senior noobs are basically "instructors" (SMWOG's not auth'd to wear uniforms) for their first year...

I also heard that the UK now has a separate CAP-like (purley) SAR organization that is NOT affiliated with ATC, have you heard anything?

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 15, 2009, 04:45:45 AM
I'll be in England next week on business ...

Small world.  I'll be at MoD for the next two weeks developing some joint training and experimentation for the summer of 2010.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on January 15, 2009, 01:39:51 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 15, 2009, 04:45:45 AM
I'll be in England next week on business ...

Small world.  I'll be at MoD for the next two weeks developing some joint training and experimentation for the summer of 2010.

Ah, the MoD.   Did stuff with them the last few times over (with a different company).   This trip, sadly, won't be nearly as interesting.

Quote from: Fifinella on January 15, 2009, 11:51:49 AM

If you get the urge to make your way over for a pint or cup of something, do let me know..  :)

Quote from: SarDragon on January 15, 2009, 07:59:48 AM
According to here, dated 8/08, there are currently no OS units in England. There are two in Japan, and two in Germany.

Bummer -- but how did you find that???

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on January 15, 2009, 07:34:50 AM
*In no way am I implying the two gentlemen discussing alcoholic beverages are old.  (Or am I?   :P :P)

I am NOT 'old" -- not until after this next birthday, anyway...   :)

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Fifinella

Quote from: O-Rex on January 15, 2009, 12:32:23 PM
Have you had a chance to be a 'fly on the wall' at any ATC funtions?  I saw their website and found their program interesting, particularly their Senior Program, which is much different than ours i.e., enlisted and officer career paths, and that that Senior noobs are basically "instructors" (SMWOG's not auth'd to wear uniforms) for their first year...

I also heard that the UK now has a separate CAP-like (purley) SAR organization that is NOT affiliated with ATC, have you heard anything?

Between my class schedule and their bureaucracy, I haven't.  I'm going to my first meeting tonight.  :) 

All I know about their SAR org. is what I've read on CAPTalk, but I'll let you know what I find out.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

JayT

I remember being in Cambridge when I was on IACE.  There are definitely Air Training Command (ATC) units around those areas.  It could be interesting if you were able to check out one of the local ATC cadet meetings, if there aren't any overseas cadet units. 

The overseas squadrons are limited to US Military Installations, and USAFE has presence at RAF Stations Mildenhall and Lakenheath which aren't too far from Cambridge (maybe 25 to 50 miles?).  RAF Station Feltwell and RAF Croughton, also USAFE bases, aren't too much farther from Cambridgeshire either.  All four USAFE bases in England are probably within 50 miles of Cambridge.  Your best bet is to do some digging for overseas squadrons at those locations. 

Air Training Corps, not Air Training Command.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Pylon

Quote from: Timbo on January 15, 2009, 06:55:07 AM

::)

I hope I missed the sarcasm.  We don't shelter young adults by lying to them and pretending that adults don't drink alcoholic beverages.  That'd be the opposite of being responsible.   Beer is as much of the culture in the United Kingdom and other places as wine is in France and Italy; it's a part of the experience of going to those places.  There's no moral turpitude implied in suggesting another adult enjoy a drink, nor is it wrong to mention, in front of our cadets, that from time to time some adults enjoy a drink.  Describing about some debaucherous excursion of drunkenness is inappropriate, but portraying responsible adults as being able to enjoy an alcoholic drink from time to time actually helps in setting a model of responsible treatment of alcohol.  Making it "hush-hush" and increasing the mysticism and privateness of the activity only serves to undermine educational efforts like DDR.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

I saw their website and found their program interesting, particularly their Senior Program, which is much different than ours i.e., enlisted and officer career paths, and that that Senior noobs are basically "instructors" (SMWOG's not auth'd to wear uniforms) for their first year...

Civilian Instructor (CI) is not just an entry level status.  Not everybody can be an NCO or officer.  I think they do have a polo shirt and a sweatshirt now, but are still not considered "uniformed staff" like the ATC NCOs and the RAFVR(T) officers are... And the officers hold commissions in the Training branch of the Royal Air Force Vollenteer Reserve...  and there is a retirement age for uniformed staff, so when you age out you'd go CI.

I've thought about defecting and going for Officer Cadet or Sgt, ATC.  And get paid for it!  ;D
Mike Johnston

JayT

Actually, only their officers are part of the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

Their Sergeants, Flight Sergeants, and Warrant Officers, are part of the Air Cadet Organization, which is the umbrella organization that commands both the Air Training Corps, and Combined Cadet Corps (RAF) (their JROTC.)

So, the ACO has it's own NCO's, but their borrow officers from the Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve.

Also, their pilots and flight intructors belong to a different branch of the VR, as do college level cadets.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

O-Rex

Quote from: MIKE on January 15, 2009, 08:05:42 PM
I saw their website and found their program interesting, particularly their Senior Program, which is much different than ours i.e., enlisted and officer career paths, and that that Senior noobs are basically "instructors" (SMWOG's not auth'd to wear uniforms) for their first year...

Civilian Instructor (CI) is not just an entry level status.  Not everybody can be an NCO or officer.  I think they do have a polo shirt and a sweatshirt now, but are still not considered "uniformed staff" like the ATC NCOs and the RAFVR(T) officers are... And the officers hold commissions in the Training branch of the Royal Air Force Reserve...  and there is a retirement age for uniformed staff, so when you age out you'd go CI.

I've thought about defecting and going for Officer Cadet or Sgt, ATC.  And get paid for it!  ;D

I read that after a year, you sit with the CC to see what path if any you take, then go before an NCO or Officer selection board, and then go to a mini OBC or BNCOC, **WITH PAY**

Joe:  Are you going to FLWG Conf at the end of the month?  If so, get some MARMITE when you're in the UK (yum!)  We'll hook up an chow down  :P

Judy: After you go, please share your observations-should be interesting......

Fifinella

Well, I'm just back from the meeting.  Spent most of it chatting with the CC.  I'll be happy to share more as I learn it.  MIKE, of course, is spot on with his facts.

The air cadets do a lot of sports (when we would be doing ES, I guess), and they do glider orientation rides.  They get to do a little acro and everything.  And they do a lot more of what we would call bivouac-ing.  In 2 weeks, I get to be the taster - they're working on their campfire cooking skills!  They also do water sports like canoeing, kayaking, and wind surfing.  They meet 2 nights a week, for about 1 1/2 hrs each, plus the weekend activities. (And the CC showed an IACE video that made me want to go to Canada IACE - some wicked white water rafting.)

The RAF provides their facilities (this bldg is circa 1940), but they have to raise the funds for their own minibuses.

The great thing is, cadets are cadets everywhere.  The one who's really sharp, the one who needs a haircut, etc. - they're all the same!  :D

Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

JoeTomasone

Quote from: O-Rex on January 15, 2009, 10:20:22 PM
Joe:  Are you going to FLWG Conf at the end of the month?  If so, get some MARMITE when you're in the UK (yum!)  We'll hook up an chow down  :P

Haven't decided yet - General Tomasone is a little upset at the amount of weekends away this month thus far......

Timbo

Not to drift.....but I love Yorkie Bars.  The one with the picture of a woman on the front with the circle and line drawn over her!  I think Nestle produces them.  

My first taste was during Katrina, and somehow all of the British MOD rations that made it back North afterward were all missing the bars  ;)

I have to say the MOD rations were just a little tastier than the German and US rations.  PLUS, I love the 4 packets of instant white tea they included.  Best tea out of all the teas!  

SarDragon

Quote from: JoeTomasone on January 15, 2009, 02:31:29 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 15, 2009, 07:59:48 AM

Bummer -- but how did you find that???

Click the word "here" in the quote. It's a link I forgot to underline in the OP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret