Main Menu

First aid

Started by Hoorah, December 11, 2008, 05:34:33 PM

Hoorah

Please explain the stories of first aid training.

I have a training meeting for FA this sunday.

Al Sayre

Not sure what "stories" you are asking about.  Would you like one about "there I was in the middle of a 40 car accident an hour after I finished taking basic first aide", or about the cutie that I met in a first aid class that may not be printable?  :D >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Stonewall

There I was, Camp Blanding, FL with my squadron for the weekend to conduct American Red Cross Standard First Aid and CPR training.

The instructor and his wife seemed to live for teaching these classes, although I think they lived in a van down by the river.

Our Senior Member in Charge (SMIC) was also a MSgt in the Army National Guard and was able to check out an Army 5 Ton truck to cart about 20 of us around in.

Back then, I think it was a 12 hour class.  We got there Friday evening and it lasted until 16:00 on Sunday.  In between classes and meals, we rappelled with an Army SF guy down the 30' tower, shot a .50 cal and tore apart the mini-PX.

Training went well, but on Saturday night, about 21:00, our Cadet First Sergeant, who stood 20 ft tall, came to get us and had us load up in the 5 ton because a huge disaster just happened.  We get over to where the classroom was and there were 5 people laying around all made up with fake injuries that we had to care for.

I remember this whole weekend vividly because it was my first weekend activity in CAP and I am still close friends with 2 of the cadets that were there 21 years ago.  In fact, we still laugh as we talk about it.  Also, I have some pictures from that weekend at home.  Fun times.  Makes me truly miss my CAP cadet days.
Serving since 1987.

lordmonar

It's not a first aid story per say....but...I was teaching a Life Saving Merit Badge Course at Boy Scout Summer Camp.

We were doing "tired swimmer drills".  I was the "victim" and one of my students was supposed to come out and assist me back to shore when when he passed out and sank in 10 feet of murky water.

Don't remember much after that....lots of confusion, noise, and a 30 minute ride to the hospital wearing no shirt, wet swimming trunks and combat boots (no socks).

That was my first confirmed save!

<that's what happens if you send before spell check>
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davedove

One time, in First Aid Camp .......
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

JayT

Quote from: capcadetwilliams on December 11, 2008, 05:34:33 PM
Please explain the stories of first aid training.

I have a training meeting for FA this sunday.

As my Intructor Paramedic once put it......

Always wear gloves.
You're not a doctor.
Protect the Airway.
Headwounds bleed a lot.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Trouble

Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)

EMT-83

Remember, all bleeding eventually stops.

SJFedor

If ever in doubt, go back to A (airway).

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JayT

"All of you will eventually kill someone at some point in your career."

No, honestly.

First Aid, just pay attention, read the material, and practical the skills you don't get to do often.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

arajca

Fainting and hyper-ventilation are self-correcting problems.

IceNine

Apply pressure to the wound, then above the wound.  Don't take off the bandages just put more on top.

Splint above and below no on top of.

That bloody wound, or broken bone may look serious, but not breathing is deadly.

ABC first, ignore that nasty gash on their leg, until they have a path to get air in, and getting air in, and their heart is beating, and they are not losing tons of blood.

Hint- When they hand you a tri-bandage they will tell you to make a sling.  If you tie a small knot on the wide point it makes a nice pocket to put the elbow into.  And if you put a little gauze behind the knot on their neck they won't complain as much about it rubbing.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JayT

Quote from: arajca on December 12, 2008, 04:17:53 AM
Fainting and hyper-ventilation are self-correcting problems.

Unless there's underlying problems with the PaO2 or PaCO2 in the blood and CSF.

I think.

Duke Dillio

The very first thing you should know is to protect yourself.  Don't go after that electricution victim who still has the live power line laying over him...

My EMT instructor said of BBP, "Always treat every patient as though they have something that you don't want."

Also, remember that First Aid is a touchy-feely type of activity.  Just don't touchy-feely too much...

IceNine

Tourniquets are for the military, and shouldn't be applied unless you intend to kill the limb.

There is no reason to carry anything more than some nitrilite gloves, a CPR mask, and a few band aids, some gauze, tape, scissors.  Don't go out buying the biggest and baddest FA kit.  That thing you saw at wal-greens that said emergency first aid kit will do.

Wear a watch (for class), if you ever do this for real tell the emt's EVERYTHING.  Especially if you've been doing CPR they will want to know about how long. 

Don't move a patient that has any type of traumatic injury (fall, car accident, etc)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Q: What do you do if the instructor has a heart attack during CPR class before he has certified you?   :D

"That Others May Zoom"

Duke Dillio

Call nine-eleven....  DUH!!!

Eclipse

THERE'S NO "11" ON MY PHONE!!!!!

"That Others May Zoom"

Hoser

Three rules of EMS

Everything you learn in school is wrong

People die and you cant do a thing about it

People will live because you did

JayT

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2008, 03:55:09 PM
Q: What do you do if the instructor has a heart attack during CPR class before he has certified you?   :D

Go hard, go deep, and go fast!