chiles

Quote from: cap235629 on December 13, 2008, 02:32:04 AM
Here is a simple rule to follow"

The ABC's of first aid

A=AMBULANCE

B=BEFORE

C=CAP

;) ;D :D

Nah. I'm pretty sure they taught me in nursing school to call my squadron commander first. Helps when I go to put in for the Certificate for the Recognition for Lifesaving award 8) ;D
Maj Christopher Hiles, MS, RN BSN, CAP
Commander
Ft McHenry Composite Squadron
Health Services Officer
Maryland Wing
Mitchell: 43417
Wilson: 2878

NJMEDIC

1. All Bleeding stops evenually
2. All Breathing stops eventually
3. If the liquid is wet warm and not yours dont touch it
Mark J. Burckley,NJ EMT-P
Major  CAP
Member NJ EMS Task Force

NJMEDIC

Quote from: cap235629 on December 13, 2008, 02:32:04 AM
Here is a simple rule to follow"

The ABC's of first aid

A=AMBULANCE

B=BEFORE

C=CAP

;) ;D :D

A. Ambulate
B. Before
C. Carry
>:D :clap:
Mark J. Burckley,NJ EMT-P
Major  CAP
Member NJ EMS Task Force

cap235629

Here is a true story. I thought it was funny at the time but it makes me angry in retrospect, what if that was MY MOTHER?

When the fire departments first started rolling on all medical calls 15 years or so ago in Massachusetts, there was a TON of resistance from the old school firefighters who wanted no part of EMS.  The new school won out and all firefighters are trained as first responders.  I was on a late night call in the ambulance going to a possible heart attack on the third floor of a triple decker in an old Mill town in Mass.  The local engine company was dispatched as well,  We heard them tell dispatch they had arrived and asked what was the eta on the ambulance.  I advised dispatch we were just a couple of minutes out and when we turned the corner there was the engine, occupied by the engine company, with the Lt. hanging out the window waving us on and pointing at the address.  I asked him later why they didn't go in and I was told bluntly, "They say we have to go, but they never said we had to do anything, call me when your ambulance is on fire, you can have this medical B.S."
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

ol'fido

Two stories:

We had to stop a CPR class while everyone recovered and got back in their seats from laughing so hard. One of our cadets had asked the instructor, "Shouldn't you use a safety pin to pin the tongue to the cheek so that they won't swallow it?"

and....

At GLR SARCOMP in 1988, I scored highest on the basic first aid test. I was only qualified in Advanced First Aid(ARC-old system) and there were several EMTs and Paramedics taking the test. They all overthought the questions instead of thinking like first aiders.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Stonewall

Two things that were drilled into my head from my first EMT class are:

"Scene secure, don gloves"

"ABCME:  Airway Breathing Circulation Major bleeding, Expose (the wound)"
Serving since 1987.

SJFedor

Quote from: olefido on December 13, 2008, 05:03:46 PM
At GLR SARCOMP in 1988, I scored highest on the basic first aid test. I was only qualified in Advanced First Aid(ARC-old system) and there were several EMTs and Paramedics taking the test. They all overthought the questions instead of thinking like first aiders.

Bah. That's kinda unfair. a Medic is going to approach a scene a lot differently then a first aid qualified person.

I always like ABCDEF myself.

Airway Breathing Circulation Deficits (neuro) Exposure Fluids

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JayT

I like that!

(So says the guy who just spent a twelve hour clinical rotation in the Pedatric Emergency room, got stratched multiple times, and who broke out in a cold sweat when he found out one of his patients was his Chief's nephew.)

"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."