When your motor stops......

Bear Walling

Well, theres something you don't see everyday

jb512

You guys have way too much fun...

SJFedor

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 20, 2008, 05:52:53 AM

I remember seeing this not working out for another flight crew....

http://www.youtube.com/v/KN9XArHS8yw

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mynetdude

Quote from: SJFedor on March 20, 2008, 06:15:49 AM

I'll bet it takes some skill to do boat tows from a helo, seemed like the helo was moving around a bit too fast IMHO they were moving around like it was nothing.  IMHO if the pilot has never done a boat tow from a helo then he/she shouldn't try to attempt it until they have had at least some kind of training to do it.

SJFedor

Quote from: mynetdude on March 20, 2008, 06:36:07 AM

I'll bet it takes some skill to do boat tows from a helo, seemed like the helo was moving around a bit too fast IMHO they were moving around like it was nothing.  IMHO if the pilot has never done a boat tow from a helo then he/she shouldn't try to attempt it until they have had at least some kind of training to do it.

I'm no helo driver, but he probably dropped the nose too much, added too much collective, and lost control.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

mynetdude

Quote from: SJFedor on March 20, 2008, 06:56:03 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on March 20, 2008, 06:36:07 AM

I'm no helo driver, but he probably dropped the nose too much, added too much collective, and lost control.

I noticed too much nose pitch down, but he also seemed to do his maneuvers a bit too fast.

stillamarine

Was that one of yalls boats? If so was this a training event or how embarrased was that officer to make that call?
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Pylon

Is the cost of that tow covered by AAA?   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Ned

Guys,

I think you have misinterpreted the photo.

Ingeniously, the Sheriff has discovered a way to increase the range of their electric helicopter by putting a generator on their patrol boat!   ;D

mynetdude

Quote from: Ned on March 20, 2008, 03:31:20 PM
Guys,

Ingeniously, the Sheriff has discovered a way to increase the range of their electric helicopter by putting a generator on their patrol boat!   ;D

Electric? I don't think water and such would do well together?

NIN

Air to ground towing is definitely an art.

Were it to be a "science," the Army would not have the restriction in the -10 of nearly every helicopter prohibiting "air to ground towing."

(I swear, that deuce and a half was more of an "assistive sling-load" than a "tow")

They guys with that Bell 206 trying to tow the boat were morons.  You gotta be TOTALLY gentle with any kind of external load..
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: mynetdude on March 20, 2008, 03:40:57 PM
Guys,

Is that a serious Q?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

cnitas

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

SSgt Rudin

well if your going to crash what better place than right next to (what appears to be a foreign) coast guard cutter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrJAxFgKg9E
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Flying Pig

It was a training day, our Deputies provide boating enforcement to the large lakes in the county.  Even in the rivers, sometimes just pulling the bow a couple of feet is enough to get the boat loose if they get pushed against something.  It is reserved for our deputies who have been trained as the Sheriff boat enforcement crew to operate with the helicopter.  We don't tie up to Joe Smith who breaks down while hes out fishing.

Ive seen that video several times before.  It was in the Bahamas I believe.  We do ours VERY slow and gentle. The guy in that Jet Ranger flat out over torqued his helicopter.  Id be surprised if the guy even had a Private Pilots License.  That was BEYOND a flying 101 mistake.

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on March 20, 2008, 05:44:15 PM
Quote from: mynetdude on March 20, 2008, 03:40:57 PM
Guys,

Is that a serious Q?

Thankfully no!

mynetdude

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 20, 2008, 09:38:58 PM
well if your going to crash what better place than right next to (what appears to be a foreign) coast guard cutter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrJAxFgKg9E

haven't seen a helo with pontoons in a very long time :)

Gunner C

Quote from: NIN on March 20, 2008, 04:01:59 PM
Air to ground towing is definitely an art.

Were it to be a "science," the Army would not have the restriction in the -10 of nearly every helicopter prohibiting "air to ground towing."

(I swear, that deuce and a half was more of an "assistive sling-load" than a "tow")

They guys with that Bell 206 trying to tow the boat were morons.  You gotta be TOTALLY gentle with any kind of external load..
That looks to be a C-46 (Navy or Marine Corps, methinks).  Not an Army bird.  I've done lots of sling loads, all went well, thankfully.  I saw a couple, however, that weren't so good - they dumped the loads.  Worst thing is being on top of the load with the clevis waiting to put it on the hook.  I just knew that darned army flyboy had some sort of problem with ground pounders and was going to make a sling-load sandwich out of me.  Fun but tense.

NIN

Quote from: Gunner C on March 21, 2008, 08:49:09 AM
That looks to be a C-46 (Navy or Marine Corps, methinks).  Not an Army bird.  I've done lots of sling loads, all went well, thankfully.  I saw a couple, however, that weren't so good - they dumped the loads.  Worst thing is being on top of the load with the clevis waiting to put it on the hook.  I just knew that darned army flyboy had some sort of problem with ground pounders and was going to make a sling-load sandwich out of me.  Fun but tense.

Actually, its a BV-107 (civvie CH-46) owned by Columbia Helicopters.

And yes, we are trying to make sling-load sammiches out of the crunchies.  Its good sport and keeps you boys on your toes.

For what its worth, however, our own @##$% pilots have been known to crunch us, too...

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.