Main Menu

And its a tow truck

Started by Flying Pig, March 20, 2008, 05:52:53 AM

Flying Pig

It simply starts like this

mynetdude

can't imagine having to deal with the rotor wash... and it swirling all its avegas around itself and you can smell it... it is horribly smelly!  ::)

SarDragon

Quote from: mynetdude on March 22, 2008, 06:03:12 AM
can't imagine having to deal with the rotor wash... and it swirling all its avegas around itself and you can smell it... it is horribly smelly!  ::)

Not AvGas, burnt kerosene. That thar helicopeter be propelled by Jet-A.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

mynetdude

Quote from: SarDragon on March 22, 2008, 06:10:21 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on March 22, 2008, 06:03:12 AM

My bad, /me forgets these things sometimes... some Helos actually have jet engines.

What about helos that don't use jet engines?

SarDragon

Well, most gas burning anythings don't have all that much odour. When was the last time you got that kind of smell from a car, or a C-182? Much of what's in gas exhaust is odorless.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on March 22, 2008, 06:10:21 AM

As my t-shirt says: "I love the smell of Jet Fuel in the morning!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

The rotor wash for me (the guy on the skid) is pretty light that close to the fuselage.  Now, the guys on the boat....thats a different story.  However, the MD500E has a low inertia rotor system.  The rotor wash is actually pretty light compared to what most people think of. 

Piston driven helicopters operate and "smell" just like a piston airplane.  They use 100LL.  Personally, I love the smell of Jet A.  It can get a bit overwhelming though in the summer when its hot out.

One of the challenges of boat towing, is that when you hover to the boat, it blows away.  So you have to get right over the top of it and get them the rope quick

mynetdude

Quote from: Flying Pig on March 22, 2008, 04:09:05 PM
The rotor wash for me (the guy on the skid) is pretty light that close to the fuselage.  Now, the guys on the boat....thats a different story.  However, the MD500E has a low inertia rotor system.  The rotor wash is actually pretty light compared to what most people think of. 

Piston driven helicopters operate and "smell" just like a piston airplane.  They use 100LL.  Personally, I love the smell of Jet A.  It can get a bit overwhelming though in the summer when its hot out.

One of the challenges of boat towing, is that when you hover to the boat, it blows away.  So you have to get right over the top of it and get them the rope quick

Haha never thought of the blowing it away! Why not tow like that? :D give 'em alittle "push" with some AIR :D

Flying Pig

We have done that before.  It just takes a while.  Usually, someone will come along and be a good samaritan.