Wearing the ABU's

Started by flyguy06, December 25, 2007, 05:52:59 PM

RiverAux

Quote from: SarDragon on March 10, 2008, 11:49:54 PM
No, no one knows yet. That Q has been asked almost weekly since the new uniforms came out, and the answer remains the same. I'm sure that will quickly become a "sticky" thread in the uniform section when the decision is made.
Almost worth making it a sticky thread now...

SSgt Rudin

You know what would be nice? If CAP worked something out with the AF for use to be able to trade our BDU's and BDU accessories (GORTEX, Field Jackets, not boots) for ABU's. Or at least something like 1st set of BDU's for free, 2nd and 3rd set at 1/2 price, Gortex and other stuff at 1/2 price for first accessory 2/3 for 2nd and 3rd.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Eeyore

^ Now that is a great idea, it would save many lots of $$. Downside is that it would never get approved.

A.Member

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 11, 2008, 04:24:26 AM
You know what would be nice? If CAP worked something out with the AF for use to be able to trade our BDU's and BDU accessories (GORTEX, Field Jackets, not boots) for ABU's. Or at least something like 1st set of BDU's for free, 2nd and 3rd set at 1/2 price, Gortex and other stuff at 1/2 price for first accessory 2/3 for 2nd and 3rd.
What would the AF want them back for?  They already threw them out...that's how we got them.  Besides, the AF doesn't sell the clothing, AAFES does.  They're not going to do this out of the goodness of their heart.   A mere pipedream...but like you said, it "would be nice". 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: A.Member on March 11, 2008, 05:15:29 AM
Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 11, 2008, 04:24:26 AM
What would the AF want them back for?  They already threw them out...that's how we got them.  Besides, the AF doesn't sell the clothing, AAFES does.

Yes, however a reservist can bring in his/her old uniforms that are unserviceable and trade them for serviceable ones, at least in the Navy. And I have already been told that when the new Navy uniforms come out for fleet wide distribution I am more than welcome to trade my old uniforms for the new ones at no cost to me.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

mikeylikey

Officers are never issued free uniforms (except for specific combat related items).  As a CAP Officer the same "buy your own" tradition is extended to US.  That is why there is a Free Cadet Uniform program, not a Free Senior Member Uniform Program.  Crystal?

What's up monkeys?

Stonewall

Quote from: 2d Lt Rudin on March 11, 2008, 05:20:53 AMYes, however a reservist can bring in his/her old uniforms that are unserviceable and trade them for serviceable ones, at least in the Navy. And I have already been told that when the new Navy uniforms come out for fleet wide distribution I am more than welcome to trade my old uniforms for the new ones at no cost to me.

It's like that in the Army and Air Guard too.  Trade in non-servicable uniforms for new ones.  However, with the ABUs, we're just getting them issued with no need for BDU trade-in.  Tells me they have no need for BDUs.  Not to mention it does cost the unit money to order them and I'm not sure there would be a unit out there interested in purchasing ABUs for CAP.

So, Rudin, you're in the Navy Reserves?  Ever think of going Air Guard?  Good bonuses....better duty.... :angel:
Serving since 1987.

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Stonewall on March 11, 2008, 12:16:59 PM
So, Rudin, you're in the Navy Reserves?  Ever think of going Air Guard?  Good bonuses....better duty.... :angel:

I did, but at the time when I was separating from AD the Guard (Both Air and Army) told me I would have to take a reduction in rank from E5 to E4, same with the AF Reserves. I worked my ass off to make E5 in less than 3 years, don't really feel like giving that up. Also the in the NR there is no 1 weekend a month 2 weeks a year, your required to do 48 days of service a year(works out to the same as 1 w/e a month 2 weeks a year), and they don't have to be consecutive. Being a full time student this really works for me. I can do all 48 days over the summer, or if I'm low on cash a drill weekend is only a phone call away. I may think about it if I make E6, but still got about a year in TIG left, unless I can squeeze a EP out of my butt, then I can take the test in September.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Stonewall

We just got two prior Navy E-5s in my unit and they kept their rank.  Only rank reduction I've ever heard of is when someone was an E-6 in a different career field (Corpsman) and cross over to something else (Security Police).  Other than that, across the board (I've been in Army and Air Guard and AF Reserves) E-5 from any branch is a direct transfer.

Glad you stayed in though, regardless of branch.  Always sucks to see someone throw away their TIS.
Serving since 1987.

DNall

Got no issues taking folks in grade on the Army side either, NCO or officer, even with career field changes. They just get sent to the appropriate job 7 leadership schools for their MOS & move out. No big deal. It's more about finding a unit that will agree to take them in the appropriate grade related slot. That gets harder as you move higher in rank, but E5 is no issue at all, not here anyway, prob shouldn't try to speak for the whole country.

JayT

At my local surplus shoppe, they sell cotton tee shirts that are a very light tan. Are plain cotton tees approved with the ABU/ACU?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 11, 2008, 12:13:14 PM
Officers are never issued free uniforms (except for specific combat related items).  As a CAP Officer the same "buy your own" tradition is extended to US.  That is why there is a Free Cadet Uniform program, not a Free Senior Member Uniform Program.  Crystal?

LOL

The reason why military officers aren't ISSUED uniforms is because they get paid enough to afford them. Most enlisted people don't. That's why the enlisted get their uniforms issued.

How much do we make as CAP officers again?
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: Stonewall on March 11, 2008, 05:01:41 PM
We just got two prior Navy E-5s in my unit and they kept their rank.  Only rank reduction I've ever heard of is when someone was an E-6 in a different career field (Corpsman) and cross over to something else (Security Police).  Other than that, across the board (I've been in Army and Air Guard and AF Reserves) E-5 from any branch is a direct transfer.

Glad you stayed in though, regardless of branch.  Always sucks to see someone throw away their TIS.
There's usually a reduction when you go from Res/Guard to AD, not the other way around. The reason for that is because traditional reservists/guardsmen don't perform their duties as often as their active duty counterparts and are thus considered to be less experienced.
GEORGE LURYE

afgeo4

Quote from: JThemann on March 13, 2008, 02:17:29 AM
At my local surplus shoppe, they sell cotton tee shirts that are a very light tan. Are plain cotton tees approved with the ABU/ACU?
Yes. Cotton, blended and synthetic sand color crew neck t-shirts are approved for wear with the ABU.
GEORGE LURYE

mikeylikey

Quote from: afgeo4 on March 13, 2008, 04:17:02 PM
LOL

The reason why military officers aren't ISSUED uniforms is because they get paid enough to afford them. Most enlisted people don't. That's why the enlisted get their uniforms issued.

Ummm ya.....I had to open a credit card to pay for my set of uniforms before I was Commissioned.  I hate credit cards, and it took me almost 6 months to pay it off cause a 2LT (2nd Lt) doesn't make all that much.  All set up, my payments to AAFES totaled around $1200. 

As for CAP, I think I have spent somewhere around $1,000 on uniforms to include my cadeting days.  Thats alot also....... 

What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 13, 2008, 04:35:00 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on March 13, 2008, 04:17:02 PM
LOL

Ummm ya.....I had to open a credit card to pay for my set of uniforms before I was Commissioned.  I hate credit cards, and it took me almost 6 months to pay it off cause a 2LT (2nd Lt) doesn't make all that much.  All set up, my payments to AAFES totaled around $1200. 

As for CAP, I think I have spent somewhere around $1,000 on uniforms to include my cadeting days.  Thats alot also....... 

I agree... as an O-1 making his/her first uniform purchases it's A LOT. However, take the average officer's salary and the average officer's annual uniform expenses and you'll see that it's not so much proportionally.
GEORGE LURYE

DNall

yeah, that's later when you're making more & buying less per year. When you have to get a full set-up, including service & dress uniforms, it's a fortune, trust me on this.

SarDragon

Quote from: afgeo4 on March 13, 2008, 04:17:02 PMThe reason why military officers aren't ISSUED uniforms is because they get paid enough to afford them. Most enlisted people don't. That's why the enlisted get their uniforms issued.

That's not exactly true. If you dig down into some of the supply stuff, you'll see that enlisted folks get paid for their uniform.

There is an initial clothing allowance that turns into your recruit training clothing issue. From then on, annually, a clothing allowance is paid, based on the projected life of uniforms and how many are required to be maintained. Any uniform items above and beyond that are paid for by the member. In my time in the Navy, I was never able to spend just a year's worth of clothing allowance on a year's worth of uniforms.

The only time I was ever "issued" any uniform items after recruit training was when they did a service-wide uniform change (utility uniform one time, and dress blues two other times). Organizational clothing was an entirely different matter, and isn't part of this discussion.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eagle400

Quote from: mikeylikey on March 11, 2008, 12:13:14 PM
Officers are never issued free uniforms (except for specific combat related items).

True, but items issued to cadets/officer candidates are free and may be kept after commissioning. 

adamblank

This is true.  But a lot of the items that an ROTC cadet is issued at 18 might not fit at 22.  I also had to put a uniform deposit down when ROTC issued me blues, BDU's and PT gear.  I just turned my uniforms back in and opted for a new set.  I would venture to say I spend about 500 a year on uniforms.
Adam Brandao