Wearing the ABU's

Started by flyguy06, December 25, 2007, 05:52:59 PM

WWIntel

Quote from: Stonewall on January 15, 2008, 12:55:31 PM
Got my first set of ABUs this weekend at drill.  Cut out the inner-breast pockets and extra material.  Those things run big.  I got 36R and the "R" for regular must mean for people over 7' tall.  I was told they ran big, or long, so I got regs instead of long.  Things almost go past my toes and I'm about 6' 2".

I'm 5'7" and I'm wearing the 32R pants since the MCSS didn't have any S pants in stock.  They barely fit me.  The bottom of the lower leg pockets ends up being like half an inch below the top of my boot.  I would have thought the R's would fit you since you're 6'2".

Stonewall

^^crazy how that works, huh.
Serving since 1987.

Michael

I hear that the boots are extremely comfortable.  Any chance they'd be phased into the new 39-1?
Bill Coons, C/Capt

mikeylikey

^ I hope so.  We could have had it proposed for the latest Board meeting, but alas, it was not! 

My MCSS has not sold black boots for over a year now.  Wright-Patt has not sold black boots for 3 months now.  We need to change to Tan boots, and we need to change soon.  It would be a real shame if we have to keep buying black boots, and in a few years, the majority will be foreign made black boots, and that's not COOL.

So to those reading this from NHQ......get working on it NOW!
What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

^^Please; if you do, we promise not to raid NHQ or start a letter campaign
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

notaNCO forever

ABU boots are sage green not tan

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: NCO forever on February 09, 2008, 01:30:20 PM

Even better as they would match our current woodland BDU's!

Hawk200

The tan boots are permitted with the ABU until people can get sage ones. Both are being worn with the ABU at present.

Quote from: LittleIronPilot on February 09, 2008, 03:39:08 PMEven better as they would match our current woodland BDU's!

Already seen that done. They don't. And the "moldy green" I've heard them called is entirely apt.

Want a green boot that matched the woodlands? Jungle boots. That's about it.

notaNCO forever

Quote from: Hawk200 on February 09, 2008, 04:26:50 PM

The tan boots are permitted with the ABU until people can get sage ones. Both are being worn with the ABU at present.

I stand corrected.

lordmonar

Here on Nellis I've seen a lot of guys wearing the green boot with BDU's and it does not look all that bad.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Michael

Quote from: mikeylikey on February 09, 2008, 03:55:53 AM
^ I hope so.  We could have had it proposed for the latest Board meeting, but alas, it was not! 

My MCSS has not sold black boots for over a year now.  Wright-Patt has not sold black boots for 3 months now.  We need to change to Tan boots, and we need to change soon.  It would be a real shame if we have to keep buying black boots, and in a few years, the majority will be foreign made black boots, and that's not COOL.

So to those reading this from NHQ......get working on it NOW!

Yes! Please! Let's make rampant cadet blisters at encampment a thing of the past.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

PHall

Quote from: MikeTA on February 10, 2008, 05:10:53 PMYes! Please! Let's make rampant cadet blisters at encampment a thing of the past.

So how does the fact that a boot is not made in the USA have anything to do with blisters?
Either the boot is broken in and it fits or it isn't.
And the vast majority of blisters that cadets get at encampment are caused by boots that are either brand new or boots that don't fit or both.

mikeylikey

^ I took the cadets post as meaning something along the line as lets get away from cheap and shoty imports that aren't as well constructed as those made to MILSPEC standards.
What's up monkeys?

RogueLeader

That still doesn't invalidate his response either.  Blisters can be caused by all three.  The issue needs to be fixed.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

^ Oh no, I agree!  Boots should be well broken in before coming to a Cadet Activity like Encampment.  In fact, At the last Encampment I was at, as a rule I had all the Cadets who came with brand new boots that they picked up before Encampment and did not break in, TAKE them off and wear their tennis shoes all week. 

The military does the same.  When I staffed ROTC "Basic Camp" at Fort Knox last summer, Cadets that showed up with boots not broken in (when they were told specifically to break their boots in at home) we had them wear tennis shoes.  I think the term used for that group of cadets was the "Tennis shoe Brigade"  ;D

Training is hampered when you get bad enough blisters from boots.  Simple way around that, either break them in before the training, or wear tennis shoes!
What's up monkeys?

Michael

You're right.  I typed incorrectly.  It would just be better if regulation boots were more comfortable like the sage green ones worn with the ABU.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

afgeo4

Quote from: MikeTA on February 11, 2008, 08:38:30 PM
You're right.  I typed incorrectly.  It would just be better if regulation boots were more comfortable like the sage green ones worn with the ABU.
Many different types of boots will be and actually already are made in sage green. We're seeing from ICB to standard Altama combat boot to jump boots being made in the fabric/color.

The most procured item will be the ICB. They're already sold in black leather if you want. Hot and temperate versions.
GEORGE LURYE

Eagle400

I've been told that BDU's are becoming scarce right now.  Soon, CAP will have to switch to some other utility uniform.  Does anyone know when the Air Force will give CAP the official "OK" to wear ABUs?     

SarDragon

No, no one knows yet. That Q has been asked almost weekly since the new uniforms came out, and the answer remains the same. I'm sure that will quickly become a "sticky" thread in the uniform section when the decision is made.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eagle400

Thank you, Major Bowles.