Main Menu

The Coin Thread

Started by Stonewall, August 30, 2007, 05:08:47 AM

kd8gua

I only have one: a generic USAF coin with the AF seal on the front and the Hap Arnold wing and star logo on the reverse with the USAF Vision inscribed around the edge. My squadron commander, back in 2003, bought every cadet from our squadron who attended Encampment one.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

MICT1362

All of my coins mean so much to me.  I need to get a nice display case for all of them.  Each one of these is very special.  Enjoy!

Here is a list of my coins:

349th Recruiting Squadron USAF- Presented by MSgt Bill Sander
1st Batallion USMC- Presented by LCpl Renfro
CAP USAF Liason Region Coin- Presented by Maj. Reinhardt
Maj. Gen. Dwight Wheeless- Non-Claim after an Encampment
Brig. Gen. Tony Pineada- Presented at NBB 2005
NBB 2010- Presented by Col. Regena Aye
NBB 2005- Presented by Col. Rex Glasgow
IACE 60th Anniversary- I don't know where this one came from...
North Central Region Encampment 06- Presented by Lt. Col. James Peace
North Central Region Encampment 04- Presented by Col. Rex Glasgow
Kansas Wing- Presented by Col. Burgess Rennels
Kansas Wing Winter Encampment 09- Presented by Maj. Rick Franz
Kansas Wing Winter Encampment 08- Presented by Maj. Phillip Aye
Waxahachie Talon Comp. Sq.- Presented by Maj. Jane Smalley
Emergency Services Coin (SAR Dog/ Ground)- Presented by Capt. Derk McPherson
Emergency Services Coin (SAR Dog/ Air)-Presented by Chaplain Maj. Nancy Smalley
World Trade Center/ Pentagon Remembrance Coin- Given to me by family
United States Armed Forces 5 Branch Coin- Given to me by family

I hopefully will be able to put pictures up soon.  But it might take me a while.

-Paramedic

flyboy53

I have to admit there are some really cool challenge coins, especially some of the ones shown here, but I think the idea of a challenge coin has been over-done. 

I'd rather have decorations, although I never really set out to collect medals.

For the record, I've got a cigar box collection of coins. My favorite is an AF coin in the shape of a bottle opener. They pretty much stay in the box because I've only ever carried one coin, a Security Forces coin with our beret flash on the front and the shield, weapons, aircraft formation, etc., in back, that has special meaning for me. It's carried in a plastic sleve with a silver dollar given to me by the first lieutenant that was in charge of my duty section 30 years ago at Mt. Home AFB.

DBlair

Anyone have a NESA coin with a number lower than 15?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

DakRadz

I have a coin from the Eagle heading the EE Dept. of USAFA, personally presented.

I also have a Det. 3 Big Safari coin from my dad's retirement.

Apparently I normally would have received one as the GAWG Honor Cadet, but no joy there; as it is, I only have the two above.

mccscadet

Operation Enduring Freedom - Presented by Maj John Wolf, USAF
ILWG Spring Encampment Staff Coin- Presented in 2007 by Maj Grant Farrell, CAP.
Camp Ripley MN- Presented by Capt Matthew Barrett, CAP for staff service at WIWG Encampment 2008.
TXWG Emergency Services- Presented by C/Maj Ron Martin, CAP for staff service at TXWG Winter Encampment 2008.
ARNG Recruit Sustainment Program- Presented by SFC Dale Grundy, WIARNG for completion of IADT.
USS John F Kennedy- Presented by Maj Bob Williams, CAP for executive staff service at ILWG Spring Encampment 2010.
Cadet Officer School- Presented in 2010 by Maj Gen Courter, CAP.
International Air Cadet Exchange- Presented in 2010 by Maj Lynne Putney, CAP.
Group 22 King of the Rock Cadet Initiative- Presented in 2010 by Maj James Kalemis, CAP.

ColonelJack

Wow, I feel like such a piker ...  anyway, here's what I have:

CAP 2007 National Board, Atlanta - sent in a Vanguard order
U.S. Air Force Emblem - really nice coin with a strange, beautiful shape
CAP Medal of Valor Association - Presented by Major Jim Shaw, CAP

Such as it is, that's my coin collection.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

CAP Producer

I have about 20 but here are the ones I value most.

National Commander's Coin - Presented by Maj Gen Courter
NESA Staff Coin - Presented by Lt Col John DesMarais
National PAO Academy Coin - Presented by Brig Gen Courter
MNWG/CC's Coin - Presented by Col Tom Theis
HMRS Coin - For assistance in promoting Hawk Mountain
AL PABON, Major, CAP

HGjunkie

I only have a couple, but:

Top- "Presented for excellence." Not a CAP coin, got it from an Army General a few years back while doing disaster relief work after a tornado.
Left- My FLWG Winter encampment 2009-2010 "Doolie" coin.
Right- CAP NHGA coin.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DBlair

Quote from: flyboy1 on November 01, 2010, 10:23:59 PM
I'd rather have decorations, although I never really set out to collect medals.

I agree. If being presented in the same way as a decoration, in recognition of some great performance, then I'd much rather a decoration, or even a certificate or plaque rather than a random coin.

If the coin is given as a memento to remember a certain event or person, then that can be a nice idea, but to award a coin in place of a decoration, I'm not a fan.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

MSG Mac

Coins are merely souveniers of having been somewhere or meeting someone. More lasting than a T-shirt and about the same intrinsic value.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 08, 2010, 12:07:46 AM
Coins are merely souveniers of having been somewhere or meeting someone. More lasting than a T-shirt and about the same intrinsic value.

That is a real good analogy, Mike.  Been There, Done That, Got the Hat... er, coin.  Doesn't rhyme, but I get it!
Another former CAP officer

HGjunkie

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 08, 2010, 01:26:12 AM
Been There, Done That, Got the Hat... er, coin.

Been there, Done that, Got the shiny little bottle cap!
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

NIN

I was recently at the Association of the US Army's Annual Meeting in DC, and Northwest Territorial Mint had a booth on the exhibit hall floor, and their guys have "business coins" instead of business cards.

Clearly, your average joe can't do that.  I have one that's the approximate shape of a dog tag but is setup as a bottle opener (with the NWT Mint guy's contact info).  Overall, its pretty neato.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on November 10, 2010, 05:10:13 AM
I was recently at the Association of the US Army's Annual Meeting in DC, and Northwest Territorial Mint had a booth on the exhibit hall floor, and their guys have "business coins" instead of business cards.

Clearly, your average joe can't do that.  I have one that's the approximate shape of a dog tag but is setup as a bottle opener (with the NWT Mint guy's contact info).  Overall, its pretty neato.

Well, at NWT's prices the average Joe can't do that, but in a decent-sized business it is certainly a good way to get noticed and worth the
$3-4 per coin.  I'd much rather get something like that than a pen, squeeze toy, or tin of mints.

"That Others May Zoom"

J.American

I have a few but I like them.

1. FLWG WE Doolie Coin
2. NESA 2010 Coin
3. Col. Lisa Robinson's Coin (ALWG Com)
4. FLWG WE Flt Sgt Coin
5. 1st LT Melton's Coin (Our Flights Tactical Officer)
6. Squadron "Cadet of the Month" Coin (waiting on my second)
C/2d LT Ricketts
SER-AL-087

manfredvonrichthofen

I have:
Two Currahee excellence coins, one by my Battalion Commander, and one by my brigade Commander, both in the shape of the Currahee rest.
One ANG Indiana FA coin from my father.
One Commanding General (two star) of Fort Campbell coin for excellence.
One "Double Eagle" coin for two combat deployments with the 101st ABN AASLT.
One PA NG Keystone coin for blowing up a building with the PA NG.
One 502 INF Brigade Commander's coin for excellence.
Two ARCOM coins.
One GOLD CAPMOV coin.
Probably my favorite coin is my MOH memorial coin for Michael A. Monsoor U.S. Navy Seal.

EDIT My CAPMOV coin is gold, not silver. I am sorry about the confusion about that. I did not mean to mislead.

A.Member

My most valued coin:

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

ES Ninja

I think challenge coins have been devalued as ordinary people start handing them out like business cards, or people started buying them for themselves as souvenirs. In our squadron, they are only given for two reasons: they are presented with a verbal challenge, or they are given in recognition of a cadet having met a challenge and overcome it. For example, I have presented a cadet in my squadron with a coin as a challenge to continue succeeding in CAP and one day become cadet commander of the squadron. I have also presented a cadet with a coin in recognition of their being our squadron's honor cadet of the year.

I have received several coins, but these are the ones I value the most:
SAR Tracker coin - presented by a SAR tracker who was training at MER GSAR as a challenge to continue training to become a tracker
National Blue Beret 2010 - presented by Col Aye, Activity Director, upon graduation of NBB
Civic Leadership Academy 2011 - presented by Maj Gen Amy Couters upon graduation of CLA
FBI coin - presented by a senior analyst in the FBI when our CLA 2011 group visited their base in Quantico
CIA Director's personal challenge coin - presented personally by him to me when our CLA 2011 group visited the CIA headquarters.

Sierra Larson, C/Lt Col, CAP
NCWG CAC Vice Chair
South Charlotte Cadet Squadron

NIN

Yeah, I really hate it when the company that actually makes the darn things uses their own product as a means of advertising.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.