Main Menu

The Coin Thread

Started by Stonewall, August 30, 2007, 05:08:47 AM

AlphaSigOU

The Kwajalein American Legion (Richard B. Anderson Post 44 - the only known American Legion post currently meeting within a U.S. military installation) just got some new coins made up. As soon as I get one I'll take a picture of it and post it here.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

SarDragon

Just out of curiosity, have any of you priced coins at eSnacko? That's where Farva gets his for AF Blues.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on March 18, 2011, 12:48:47 AM
Just out of curiosity, have any of you priced coins at eSnacko? That's where Farva gets his for AF Blues.

I had thought he used coinforce, but esnacko sells coins as well. 

I spoke to coinforce last week - 3 month lead time, and discountchallenge coins wanted 45 days.

Incirlik is still the fastest and cheapest.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on March 18, 2011, 01:29:34 AM
discountchallenge coins wanted 45 days.

That must be new then - they used to be 35 days approval to door.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 18, 2011, 03:57:07 AM

I tried based on your recommendation and ICENINE being a PITA about it.  45 days plus any lead time on the art.
I don't know if because of all the military and ES action all over the place they are all just swamped, or what the deal is,
but no one but Incirlik could do it for us.  Ugur will turn around coins in 25 days including shipping.

$195 for 50, no charge for the art work.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on March 18, 2011, 04:07:58 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 18, 2011, 03:57:07 AM

I tried based on your recommendation and ICENINE being a PITA about it.  45 days plus any lead time on the art.
I don't know if because of all the military and ES action all over the place they are all just swamped, or what the deal is,
but no one but Incirlik could do it for us.  Ugur will turn around coins in 25 days including shipping.

$195 for 50, no charge for the art work.

It's too bad they extended their lead time. I like them because they stick to their promises.

Because I'm really curious, next time we (or Icenine and I) cross paths I want to compare DCC's quality to Incirlik :). I think they should be pretty similar but I'm curious.

NIN

Pylon's experience with CoinForce was, uh, not tremendously confidence inspiring....
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JC004

Does anyone have a better picture of a National Commander challenge coin?

Grumpy

Hey, they're nice but just try to wear them on your blues.  My God, the weight.   ;D

JC004

That is why I wear some around the neck on a wide ribbon and others around my belt.  It distributes the weight better.

Zen Master Charlie

Here are a few of my coins. I do agree with a lot of you, they are kind of over used, but I enjoy collecting them, each one has a story behind it, whether it be for overcoming something, meeting someone, or going somewhere. It's cool when my friends ask me about them, even though they are just souvenirs.

These are the ones I cherish the most: http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx132/FARVA809/myfavs.jpg

Top left: Secretary of the Air Force Michael Wayn. He was fired a few weeks later for the inncodent with the B-52 flying over the U.S. with armed nuclear weapons...  :(
Top Right: Gen Courter's coin
Bottom Left: My mom got this for me after my first solo, got it engraved with my name date and tail number on the back.
Bottom Right: Presented to me by the coolest Wing Commander  ;D
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

Zen Master Charlie

JC004

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 17, 2011, 07:28:40 PM
Here are a few of my coins. I do agree with a lot of you, they are kind of over used, but I enjoy collecting them, each one has a story behind it, whether it be for overcoming something, meeting someone, or going somewhere. It's cool when my friends ask me about them, even though they are just souvenirs.

These are the ones I cherish the most: http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx132/FARVA809/myfavs.jpg

Top left: Secretary of the Air Force Michael Wayn. He was fired a few weeks later for the inncodent with the B-52 flying over the U.S. with armed nuclear weapons...  :(
Bottom Left: My mom got this for me after my first solo, got it engraved with my name date and tail number on the back.

That National Commander coin is different than the others I've seen.  Do you have a picture of the other side?

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: JC004 on July 18, 2011, 03:42:36 AM
Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 17, 2011, 07:28:40 PM

That National Commander coin is different than the others I've seen.  Do you have a picture of the other side?

Tis a little unusual indeed. Nothin to special on the back, just the CAP Command shield but Ill snap one in the morning for ya!

lordmonar

I don't see how coins are over used.

Every squadron should have one.
Every speical event should have one.
Every commander should have one for 'atta boys.

The whole point of them is to build a esprit de corps and some fun one-up-manship.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on July 18, 2011, 05:45:51 PM
I don't see how coins are over used.

Every squadron should have one.
Every speical event should have one.
Every commander should have one for 'atta boys.

The whole point of them is to build a esprit de corps and some fun one-up-manship.

I agree. A coin should be used in the same manner as some ribbons, certificates, and gear is. You went to an Encampment and got a certificate? Great! Here's a kick ass coin to remember it by as well. Did the wing annual X event? Awesome! Here's a coin to remember it by. Part of X squadron? Here's a coin to remember your time there.

In my time I've earned a few local coins: Spring Encampment, Group, Squadron, C/CC with dates of service. The last one was a presentational coin sold (at the time?) by Vanguard, and has an shield that can be engraved. I cherish that coin the most because it forever reminds me of the time I was the C/CC. Sure beats the heck out of a certificate of some kind.

Not sure on the front design, but this coin has the shield I'm talking about.

crisptheyounger

Cadet: 2006-2013, Spaatz #1873

shlebz

random question... but during a coin check what if you dont even own a coin? (i do i'm just wondering) then would you have to buy the rounds?
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

Eclipse

I don't generally coin-check anyone unless I have a pretty good idea they have at least one (i.e. I gave it to them, know they've been to various activities, etc.).

In the case where I run into someone who doesn't have one, then tie goes to the runner, though in my days as a commander, that would likely mean you'd get one.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

I've added a couple since last year, most recently the AFRCC & Navy Chief's coin:

"That Others May Zoom"