Cap sUAS Program - The word from Headquarters

Started by etodd, April 12, 2019, 04:40:27 PM

etodd

For all those waiting to hear about it from National.  Read all about it. Page 35 of the current CAP Volunteer Magazine.

https://presspage-production-content.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/1913/volunteerspring2019finallores-103112.pdf?10000

If you want to be involved, contact your Wing's DOU and start training. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

etodd

No, its not in eServices. No, its not in WMIRS. And may be a year or more. We are doing everything on paper now. No time to waste waiting for the IT folks to get it online.  Its real, its already happening.

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on April 12, 2019, 04:42:19 PM
No, its not in eServices. No, its not in WMIRS. And may be a year or more. We are doing everything on paper now. No time to waste waiting for the IT folks to get it online.  Its real, its already happening.

Something a year+ from implementation is a pilot, nothing more or less. 

The wing DOs don't need every rank and file member calling them asking where to pick up their drone.
When the wing(s) have an actual mission or need, they will let members know, otherwise, read the articles
with the same salt grains as any other "special / limited-access" CAP activity and get back to normal unit OPS.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2019, 05:05:21 PM
Quote from: etodd on April 12, 2019, 04:42:19 PM

Something a year+ from implementation is a pilot, nothing more or less. 

The wing DOs don't need every rank and file member calling them asking where to pick up their drone.
When the wing(s) have an actual mission or need, they will let members know, otherwise, read the articles
with the same salt grains as any other "special / limited-access" CAP activity and get back to normal unit OPS.

For those interested, there ARE already specific Missions getting underway. 

No Wing is considered having sUAS "Operational Capability" until they have a minimum of 10 sUAS Mission Pilots,  or 5 Mission Pilots and 5 sUAS Technicians. So yes, each Wing is starting training now to get to Operational Capability with hopefully many more than the minimum to ensure we can respond. So yes, there is a bit of rush and time crunch. Hence our not waiting for WMIRS, etc.

The 'early birds' that got excited about this months ago and started signing up, yes, have running head start. But its not too late to jump in. Cadets age 16 and up can be Mission Pilots or Technicians. This is really going to be exciting for them.

I'll review all the previous posts I made in this forum and see if anything needs to be revised and updated, but at first glance it all still appears correct.

All the documentation (F5, F91, SQTR, CAPR 70-1U, etc., etc.) posted previously  is still all valid, and in use.

Taking my F91 next week with the goal of being an CAP sUAS Instructor and Check Pilot at that point, so I can start training others in my Wing.

(ETA: Interesting stat. CAP now has twice as many drones as airplanes.)

N6RVT

Quote from: etodd on April 12, 2019, 05:24:22 PM(ETA: Interesting stat. CAP now has twice as many drones as airplanes.)

That didn't take long.  And it will probably be 100 to 1 when the program is fully operational.

etodd

.... as any other "special / limited-access" CAP activity...

One of my goals in all my posts here are to make sure just the opposite happens. There is ample access and 'prior notice'.  Let no one in the future ever call this program one of those "good old boy clubs".  The early bird gets the worm. Those who sit on the sidelines waiting for an invitation ....

PHall

So etodd, do you have permission from the person in charge of the program to be posting all of this or are you once again jumping the gun?
If you're so bloody up on this program why aren't you one of the folks who are actually running it?
Have you ever heard the phrase "Stay in your lane"?

etodd

When the wing(s) have an actual mission or need, they will let members know,....

Thats like saying when CAP has a mission, we'll buy airplanes and start training. LOL

We are rolling this out quickly and need MANY members involved and trained ahead of time.

etodd

Quote from: PHall on April 12, 2019, 05:50:20 PM
So etodd, do you have permission from the person in charge of the program to be posting all of this or are you once again jumping the gun?
If you're so bloody up on this program why aren't you one of the folks who are actually running it?
Have you ever heard the phrase "Stay in your lane"?

Yes, and yes, they want the word spread. We need participants. But I do get it. Some folks just will not believe it unless Maj Gen Mark E. Smith tells them in person, face to face.

I'm here to help those who are excited about the program and possibilities, and might want some guidance as to how to get started.. Anyone not interested, we can move to the Lobby and discuss other issues. I'm game. :)

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on April 12, 2019, 05:56:47 PMSome folks just will not believe it unless Maj Gen Mark E. Smith tells them in person, face to face
until there is a training schedule in place in their wing, SQTRs, doctrine, missions on the calendar, and a controller in their hand.

FTFY.

Until >all< of those things are true, it's just a feel-good article for the majority of members.

You've been in CAP well-long enough to understand how it actually works, and to also know that
the only thing worse then not doing a thing, it getting people excited to do a thing that never happens,
especially if getting ready to do that thing means members have to spend time or money "getting ready".

"This is an sUAS, while it's charging we will now discuss some safety rules, and then begin a demonstration..."
Is how you start these conversations.

Not.

"That other wing you'll never get to has this thing, and I heard Wing HQ might get one next year, so let's get moving!"

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2019, 05:59:54 PM
Quote from: etodd on April 12, 2019, 05:56:47 PMSome folks just will not believe it unless Maj Gen Mark E. Smith tells them in person, face to face
until there is a training schedule in place in their wing, SQTRs, doctrine, missions on the calendar, and a controller in their hand.

FTFY.

Until >all< of those things are true, it's just a feel-good article for the majority of members.

I truly get what you are saying. And realize many will feel like you. I just hope they don't then decide later they wished to have been involved from the start. Not everyone care about sUAS. CAP has so many areas of interests. Something for everyone.  I'm just here for the ones that want to jump in now. 

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on April 12, 2019, 06:04:30 PM
I just hope they don't then decide later they wished to have been involved from the start.

Because?

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

"That other wing you'll never get to has this thing, and I heard Wing HQ might get one next year, so let's get moving!"

Every Wing is already involved and has a sUAS package and should have assigned a DOU by now, who is the "trainer of the trainers". I'm not sure what Wing you are in, but would be easy for you to call your DO and find out who is running your sUAS program and get the details.

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on April 12, 2019, 06:07:52 PM

Every Wing is already involved and has a sUAS package and should have assigned a DOU by now, who is the "trainer of the trainers". I'm not sure what Wing you are in, but would be easy for you to call your DO and find out who is running your sUAS program and get the details.

Which is exactly what you should >not< do.  When they are ready to roll things out, it will come down the chain.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2019, 06:18:15 PM
When they are ready to roll things out, it will come down the chain.

Enough eager beavers like me in every Wing, that the new DOUs are not having to send out Wing wide emails to try and draft people. They are already very busy training the members that are interested enough and are "self starters". Which is exactly what this program needs. People with initiative. Not those who sit back and wait to be asked.

Training is happening "now".  People are completing their F5u and F91u now.

My posts here are for those folks. Glad to help anyone who wants to find out more. PM me. :)

CAP9907

Nope, not here. Is there an official reference to a "DOU" somewhere? I can't find it in 20-1 nor in any Duty Assignment. What do they do, what are the responsibilities, what are the minimum qualifications required for appointment? Who do they report to?
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

etodd

Quote from: CAP9907 on April 12, 2019, 10:16:01 PM

Nope, not here. Is there an official reference to a "DOU" somewhere? I can't find it in 20-1 nor in any Duty Assignment. What do they do, what are the responsibilities, what are the minimum qualifications required for appointment? Who do they report to?

Which Wing? Have you asked your DO who is the new DOU for the sUAS Program? 

I need to quit allowing myself to be baited by the naysayers here and spend more time with the interested members that are contacting me separately.

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on April 12, 2019, 11:17:47 PM
I need to quit allowing myself to be baited by the naysayers here and spend more time with the interested members that are contacting me separately.

There is a significant difference between a "nay sayer" and experienced members who
actually know how these types of program work and evolve.

Used an SDIS rig lately?  How about an A.R.C.H.E.R. ground station?  Wait, wait, what about GIIEP?

It took CAP 2+ years to figure out how to mount a consumer camera to an airplane, and
that issue still isn't really sorted out.

Meanwhile, after all the press releases, magazine articles, and training hours, CAP is
prosecuting it's same two major missions, DF and Aerial survey, in essentially the
exact same way as it did 20 years ago, with the MARK1-E, L-Pers, and stand-alone digital cameras.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on April 12, 2019, 11:41:53 PM

Used an SDIS rig lately?  How about an A.R.C.H.E.R. ground station?  Wait, wait, what about GIIEP?

Yep, I understand the hesitancy and frustration from past endeavors.  Those were attempts by CAP to "buy it and they will come".

This one is totally different. This time, its our customers who are saying what to do, what to buy, and are involved to the point of deciding which Wings were trained first, over the last several months. One specific mission  that is already beginning  at multiple locations across the country, is what has already funded this program. 

You don't have to be a cheerleader ... I can handle the job. LOL

QuoteIs there an official reference to a "DOU" somewhere? I can't find it in 20-1 nor in any Duty Assignment. What do they do, what are the responsibilities, what are the minimum qualifications required for appointment? Who do they report to?

Thats what really "burns" some folks, I'm seeing. Sooooo acclimated to everything being online and "official" ... that when something rolls out this quickly, they just cannot fathom how it works. How dare we do SQTRs, F5s, F91s, etc. on mere paper and not have it online yet. Oh, the horror of it all!
A program done with word of mouth and email! Surely its not possible!  LOL

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on April 12, 2019, 11:57:43 PM
A program done with word of mouth and email! Surely its not possible!  LOL

If that's how you want to run your HOA or personal business, that's your call.

That's decidedly not how you run a Congressionally Chartered and funded national organization that
purports to provide services that protect life and property.

In fact, that is one of the chief complaints both on this forum and IRL, that
cap executes far too much of its operations via "word of mouth".

That is the literal definition of the GOBC.

"That Others May Zoom"