Main Menu

SOS Testing

Started by Mathews, June 20, 2016, 06:46:29 PM

Mathews

Greetings!  I'm new to the CAP community, having just been appointed as a chaplain (captain) at my local squadron.  No one in my squadron has taken Squadron Officer School from Air University, so I'll ask my question here: is all of the testing done online, or is it necessary to arrange for testing at an Air Force/ANG testing facility?  I'm seeing contradictory information online.  Also, while I'm asking, the same question applies to ACSC.  Can these programs be completed on one's own PC at home, or is it necessary to test at a testing center?

Thanks for any help!

RogueLeader

Tests are required to be taken at a certified Testing Facility.  It need not be a AF/ANG Test Facility. 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MSG Mac

The testing must be done at a Military Testing Facility and is an online test there. When enrolling at the E-Services site , it should list MTF's by state. You will also have to send a transcript showing you have at least a Bachelors degree to NHQ.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Mathews

Thanks so much, gentlemen.  Would just about any national guard base qualify as a military testing center?  There is one nearby.

RogueLeader

Here is the website that has a copy of the Test Control Facility (TCF) listing.  All approved TCFs will be on there.
Whoops. not showing what I wanted.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

When I signed up, the nhq coordinator sent me a list of all approved facilities. Wasn't just any and all bases.

DakRadz

So SOS requires proof of a Bachelor's, or just the higher courses after?

jhighman

Quote from: DakRadz on June 22, 2016, 01:55:18 PM
So SOS requires proof of a Bachelor's, or just the higher courses after?

One must have a Bachelors degree before being able to enroll in SOS. I attempted to enroll in the window between my final degree class and my receipt of the final transcript and was unable to enroll. This was October 2014, if that helps.

DakRadz

I appreciate it. I'm rejoining and learning the senior side, so that is something I missed.

dwb

ACSC is entirely online, but it is a boatload of work! Make sure you know what you're getting yourself in to.

ACSC is eight self-paced modules, plus four moderated modules where you're put into a cohort with other military and DoD civilian people. Those moderated sessions have firm deadlines for forum posts, essays, etc.

ACSC is way more than one NSC's worth of work. But, it's entirely online, so you don't need to spend a week in Montgomery, AL with all of the costs associated with that.

When I took SOS, I was able to do the tests at the ANG base where my (then) Group HQ is. It helped that they were familiar with CAP and I had a dual CAP/ANG member introduce me to the CMSgt in charge of the testing office. I gave them my SSN once, then whenever I needed to take a test I'd just drop them a quick email and they'd put me on the schedule. Easy peasy.

Mathews

I spoke with a member of my wing staff about SOS and ACSC.  He has completed SOS, and is currently enrolled in ACSC.  I asked him how these programs compare to other graduate-level studies. He indicated that in his opinion, SOS was about the equivalent of one graduate-level course in a master's degree program, and ACSC might compare to three such courses.  He qualified his statement with the caveat that it only his opinion.

LSThiker

I did SOS long back when it was still on paper, so I cannot comment on the current SOS.

However, I completed the ACSC online portion.  It was long with a lot of reading.  The quizzes were not too bad.  Overall the course was pretty good.  Although I missed the DG due to one essay on National Security.  I guess, the grader did not like my solution, but that is all right. 

Comparing the ACSC course to grad school would depend on the grad school and the subject.  For my master's degree, there were some courses that I had that were much easier than the ACSC, but more often I had courses that were far more difficult.

Mathews

Quote from: LSThiker on June 22, 2016, 08:58:33 PM
I did SOS long back when it was still on paper, so I cannot comment on the current SOS.

However, I completed the ACSC online portion.  It was long with a lot of reading.  The quizzes were not too bad.  Overall the course was pretty good.  Although I missed the DG due to one essay on National Security.  I guess, the grader did not like my solution, but that is all right. 

Comparing the ACSC course to grad school would depend on the grad school and the subject.  For my master's degree, there were some courses that I had that were much easier than the ACSC, but more often I had courses that were far more difficult.

I agree about graduate school.  I've done a lot of seminary, as well as an M.B.A. and an M.A. in philosophy.  Not all courses are created equal.  When you say "a lot of reading", can you approximately quantify this?   Thanks!

LSThiker

Quote from: Mathews on June 23, 2016, 07:23:21 PM
When you say "a lot of reading", can you approximately quantify this?   Thanks!

Sure can since I still have the reading:

1:  Orientation:  141 pages
2:  Leadership:  582 pages
3:  Applied Leadership:  Paper/Essay
4:  National Security:  1234 pages (more familiarization)
5:  Applied National Security:  Essay/Paper
6:  Warfare:  623 pages
7:  Air Power:  872 pages
8:  Applied Warfare:  Paper/Essay
9:  Joint Forces:  1009 pages
10:  Joint Planning:  860 pages
11:  JAO:  832 pages
12:  Applied Joint Studies:  Paper/Essay

Mathews

Quote from: LSThiker on June 23, 2016, 09:23:39 PM
Quote from: Mathews on June 23, 2016, 07:23:21 PM
When you say "a lot of reading", can you approximately quantify this?   Thanks!

Sure can since I still have the reading:

1:  Orientation:  141 pages
2:  Leadership:  582 pages
3:  Applied Leadership:  Paper/Essay
4:  National Security:  1234 pages (more familiarization)
5:  Applied National Security:  Essay/Paper
6:  Warfare:  623 pages
7:  Air Power:  872 pages
8:  Applied Warfare:  Paper/Essay
9:  Joint Forces:  1009 pages
10:  Joint Planning:  860 pages
11:  JAO:  832 pages
12:  Applied Joint Studies:  Paper/Essay

You were not kidding!  Most of my doctoral courses ran about 1,000 pages of reading, and about 300-400 for master's level courses. 

Mathews

While I'm getting such helpful information here, I'll ask another question: are CAP officers eligible to apply to the online master's degree programs offered by Air University?  The Air Command and Staff College has a master's degree in leadership online.  Or are we restricted to the standard distance SOS, ACSC, and AWC offerings?

Thanks!

LSThiker

Quote from: Mathews on June 24, 2016, 07:17:12 PM
While I'm getting such helpful information here, I'll ask another question: are CAP officers eligible to apply to the online master's degree programs offered by Air University?  The Air Command and Staff College has a master's degree in leadership online.  Or are we restricted to the standard distance SOS, ACSC, and AWC offerings?

Thanks!

Standard, non-degree distance learning courses.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: LSThiker on June 24, 2016, 07:28:14 PM

Thanks!

Where'd you get that perfect page breakdown? Is there a list for SOS somewhere? So far it's read 5, 6, 12, 20 pages here, 3-8 pages here, etc etc.

Mathews

Quote from: LSThiker on June 24, 2016, 07:28:14 PM

Thanks!

Thanks!

LSThiker

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on June 24, 2016, 07:38:51 PM
Where'd you get that perfect page breakdown? Is there a list for SOS somewhere? So far it's read 5, 6, 12, 20 pages here, 3-8 pages here, etc etc.

That breakdown is for ACSC not SOS.  I took SOS long back in the day when it was still on paper and we would it at the unit level.  The breakdown of the pages is from the material that I have saved from the ACSC when I took it.