Main Menu

Aviator Shirt

Started by jnazars@yahoo.com, September 29, 2015, 06:07:46 PM

jnazars@yahoo.com

Does anyone know if a plain white law enforcement shirt with the epaulets would work? I'm finding very little information in 39-1 about what exactly constitutes a white aviator shirt. I can't afford to purchase the official air force blues shirts from Vanguard because with taxes, shipping rates, etc, it's almost $70 per shirt. I've tried some of the cheaper knock off air force shirts but have run into issues with them not meeting air force appearance standards and etc. I've also run into a couple now that we're smaller than advertised. I also just can't justify paying almost $100 for a shirt that's going to get stained, torn, faded over time and etc and eventually have to be replaced. If I go down to the local law enforcement uniform shop I can purchase a plain white LE shirt for like $15 and place all the CAP stuff on it. These are usually the shirts you see police supervisors and fire fighter supervisors wearing.

JC004

You'd have to get one that matches the standard.  That is, no military creases (like a lot of law enforcement uniforms have), no pleats in the pocket, etc.

The cost of an Air Force shirt from the Air Force is $14 for an issue shirt (poly/cotton), or about $40 for the fancy optional wool/poly blend. 

vorteks

Quote from: CAPM 39-1
4.2.5.1. Shirt (Long and Short-sleeved). White cottonĀ-polyester blend aviator style shirt is authorized. Shirt must be oxford, pinpoint, poplin, or broadcloth fabric with white buttons. Two standard sewn flap pockets with no top openings and with or without pen slots. Pocket flap may have straight bottom or curved bottom and be buttoned. Scalloped flap pockets are not authorized. Straight collars only, no button downs. Two epaulet straps. No eyelets for badges. No military creases. Shirt will be tucked neatly into trousers.

arajca

Look for an EMT shirt. Uniform Warehouse has them for $13 - $20, depending on size.

http://www.uniformswarehouse.com/shirts/duty-shirts/emt-white-shirts.html

winterg

This is where I get my aviator uniform shirts. I've had no problems so far. 

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/secd/40

THRAWN

Just make sure it doesn't have the slits for a badge.

Or just try these guys: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/secd/40

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

THRAWN

Quote from: winterg on September 29, 2015, 06:41:41 PM

HA! Two great minds...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

winterg

Quote from: THRAWN on September 29, 2015, 06:43:52 PM
Quote from: winterg on September 29, 2015, 06:41:41 PM

HA! Two great minds...
At the same time no less. Lol

THRAWN

And if that doesn't work, hit up your local pilot shop. They can always use your business and it's a good way to do some public outreach about CAP.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

AlphaSigOU

Go to www.pilotshirts.com for a great selection of aviator-style shirts. I prefer the PilotHouse pinpoint oxford cloth shirt, as it is not as 'translucent' as the Van Heusen Aviator and the pockets are cut identical to the Air Force short-sleeve blue shirt.

What is an aviator-style shirt? It has flap pockets and epaulets. No pre-sewn military creases, no scalloped flap pockets, no pre-drilled holes for a law enforcement badge or pilots' wings.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

jnazars@yahoo.com

I thank everyone. This has certainly been very helpful.

A couple of people who suggested I buy directly from the air force, that's fairly unlikely as the closest air force base is at least an hour and a half drive from me.

There's also just all of the massive amount of regulations surrounding the air force uniform that I would almost just rather go with the aviator shirt. Just seems less complicated. Less likely to get in trouble or chewed out by someone.

AlphaSigOU

Two different kinds of AF blue shirts available:

DSCP (Defense Service Center Philadelphia) - Issue shirt, made by UNICOR - ahem - prison labor. Only can be sold through Military Clothing Sales or issued.
Commercial - higher-quality cloth, approved by the Air Force. Available at MCSS or commercially.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

JC004

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on September 29, 2015, 09:33:59 PM
Two different kinds of AF blue shirts available:

DSCP (Defense Service Center Philadelphia) -

DLATS now.

It is important to note the $45 shirt is wool - dry clean item.

Vanguard does not sell the wool shirt that AAFES MCSS sells.

SarDragon

From another thread:

An "Aviator" shirt is a VH brand name, and differs from their  "Pilot" and "Commander" brands ( http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/pilot_shirts/ ). All of the above, and other similar shirts from other makers, can be generically caller aviator shirts. Confusing, perhaps, but true. BTW, the Pilot and Commander brands are not suitable for CAP wear.

I wear the VH brand, available from my local pilot supply shop. I think the newest one cost $22. YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LTC Don

The issue with most public safety shirts is of course, the scalloped pockets, but most often, the epaulets are not full, up to the collar, and they are usually sewn down to the halfway mark and cross-stitched.

Like this one:
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

jnazars@yahoo.com

Yeah I see what everyone is talking about. I'm not going to be able to use an LE shirt for this. I pulled info off of the national cap HQ page and it was saying that we are no longer allowed to purchase the uniform materials through the military exchange site because people were buying stuff they weren't supposed to have and that we have to call the 1800 527 2345 number and place the order over the phone. Well I called the number and the lady I got a hold of said they are no longer able to sell to CAP members over the phone, that we have to log into the website to make the purchase and that if we are not authorized to gain access to the website then there is nothing they can do to help us. So I'm left with three possible choices here for the official air force uniform. Keep purchasing these cheap knock offs until I find something that actually fits, try to make a trip to an air force base to purchase them or buy them from vanguard who is absolutely rapping CAP with these prices. The shirt is $55. The shipping costs are $10, the tax is about $5, so I'm looking at $70 for a shirt???? Forget that. Even if I have to pay $30 for a high quality aviator shirt then that's what I'm going to do. There's no cheap way about this apparently, apparently its going to be the cheapest most expensive route which is going to be the aviator shirt.

winterg

I direct new members to the local surplus store for many of the AF uniform items. It can be hit or miss, but many do get great uniforms for a few dollars.

Also, there are several surplus stores that sell online and on eBay that have a positive reputation among CAP members.

I am currently at work, but I will look for some of the links when I get home for you. It shouldn't cost an arm and a leg for a shirt and pants. 

jnazars@yahoo.com

winterg

AlphaSigOU

AAFES online shopping checks DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) to see if the individual is authorized to patronize shopmyexchange.com . Active duty, reserve and retired? No problem. Civilians and civilian contractors? Not unless you are stationed overseas and have 'Overseas MWR/Commissary/Unlimited Exchange" on your card. CAP membership doesn't count.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040