Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2019, 04:39:29 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Uniforms & Awards  |  Topic: Uniform Tips
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Uniform Tips  (Read 37190 times)
kwe1009
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2017, 09:37:03 PM »

If you are using white school glue then you can probably remove the device to reposition when you earn another device.  Plus, like PHall said, ribbons are cheap.
Report to moderator   Logged
Jester
Seasoned Member

« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2017, 01:09:29 AM »

If I have to order them from Vanguard, I'll make a ribbon last as long as possible. My military ribbons are easy, I can just go to MCS and grab them.

That's part of the reason I only use plastic racks instead of metal. I've had the metal ones slice a ribbon right off the backing just by sliding it on.
SarDragon
Global Moderator

Unit: NAVAIRPAC

« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2017, 01:15:07 AM »

If I have to order them from Vanguard, I'll make a ribbon last as long as possible. My military ribbons are easy, I can just go to MCS and grab them.

That's part of the reason I only use plastic racks instead of metal. I've had the metal ones slice a ribbon right off the backing just by sliding it on.

It's all a matter of technique. I've wrecked exactly two ribbons on metal racks, and it was the same one - the purple and white POS that I've always had trouble with.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret
capcolorguard

« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2018, 09:37:27 PM »

I think these were all great tips! Thank you for sharing them! I have a question though, how often would you recommend you iron your blues and ABUs?
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2018, 10:41:44 PM »

Often / never.

SarDragon
Global Moderator

« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2018, 07:34:22 AM »

Blues coats and trousers should be sent to the dry cleaners after wearing three or four times, or when they are visibly dirty.  They need to be hung up between wearing to reduce wrinkling. They shouldn't really be ironed after they have been worn. That just embeds any dirt.

I launder my shirts after each wearing, but you might get away with two or three wearings if you are really careful. I have more than one, so I'm not wearing the same shirt all the time.

Utility uniforms - wash them and hang them up immediately out of the dryer. That means they are on the hanger when they go from the wash room to the closet. No wrinkles. :)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
C/WO, CAP, Ret
kwe1009

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2018, 06:49:41 PM »

ABUs are pretty good and being wrinkle resistant.  Unless you are overloading your dryer then they should come out with no wrinkles.

Blues should really only be dry cleaned.  You can iron them if needed but never directly.  Use something like a handkerchief between the iron and the blues.

Also, the service coat is a formal dress item and not an every day wear item.  It is worn for ceremonies or things like recruiting events.  If you only wear it when it is appropriate then it will last a long time between cleanings. 
J2H
Seasoned Member

Unit: MER-MD-031

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2018, 10:43:24 PM »

All you have to do is shake out the wrinkles and wear, that's what I used to do.  I dry clean my blues pants, tie, and cap once or twice a year, I use Dryel the rest of the time, and launder the blue shirt.
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031
Jim Lahaie
Recruit

Unit: GLR-IN-211

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2019, 03:29:42 PM »

I personally prefer to buy from USAF veterans when it comes to uniforms because as stated previously, Vanguard often takes too long to ship out and the cotton/polyester blend is thin and flimsy (ABU-wise), and actual USAF uniforms have better durability. But onto the answer to the original question posted;

Put a cardboard flatblock inside of your PC to keep the top of it nice and firm, much like a ridgeway cap. I recommend thin cardboard when not wearing it and double-wide when you are. Do this cut and dry for a solid few weeks, and the top of your cover will stay shaped better than before. And, if it's within regs, get an 8-point cover. Just my two cents.
Jim Lahaie
Cadet Master Sergeant, CAP
Recruiting & Retention NCO, LCCS
"Both laziness and greatness can be found equally distributed from E-1 all the way to O-10"
Jester
Seasoned Member

« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2019, 03:46:13 PM »

I personally prefer to buy from USAF veterans when it comes to uniforms because as stated previously, Vanguard often takes too long to ship out and the cotton/polyester blend is thin and flimsy (ABU-wise), and actual USAF uniforms have better durability. But onto the answer to the original question posted;

Put a cardboard flatblock inside of your PC to keep the top of it nice and firm, much like a ridgeway cap. I recommend thin cardboard when not wearing it and double-wide when you are. Do this cut and dry for a solid few weeks, and the top of your cover will stay shaped better than before. And, if it's within regs, get an 8-point cover. Just my two cents.

Where are you seeing 8-point covers in CAP?
Gunsotsu
Forum Regular

« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2019, 04:44:23 PM »

Please provide guidance where in CAPM 39-1 where it is authorized/required to put cardboard in one's hat.
Spam

Unit: GA-001

« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2019, 04:55:41 PM »

He isn't. The USMC style covers are not authorized. At all. I've put a stop to them in 3 different units under my command over the years.

BTW, Cadet: "Ridgway" is a proper name (GEN Matt Ridgway), and is both capitalized and spelled thus with no "e". I assume that you're referring to the cardboard and starched mods to the M-1951 field cap, or fatigue hat, formally known as the "Cap, Field, Cotton, Wind Resistant, Poplin, M-1951", which came in while he commanded 8th Army (the ones with the Umbrella Corporation patch).  By 1953, with not much fighting or actual ops to do in Korea, the REMFs had taken over.

My opinion, if you want to wear fatigues to look like a garritrooper (not a paratrooper), then by all means just wear blues. Fatigues are for working folks - go get into the field, and you'll sweat your pretty cardboard into pulp!  LOL

V/r
Spam

TheSkyHornet

« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2019, 05:08:24 PM »

And, if it's within regs, get an 8-point cover. Just my two cents.

It's not within regs.

The Air Force doesn't even wear an 8-point.

If you aren't sure if it's even within regs, why suggest it to someone else?

go get into the field, and you'll sweat your pretty cardboard into pulp!

I cannot stand anyone putting cardboard in their PC...nor anyone that Rangers their cover up.

Wash it. Starch it. Shove it into your pocket. Pull it out. Push out the folds. Slap it onto your head. Repeat. If you need to put a device into your cap so it keeps its shape, or else it otherwise is as flimsy as a cotton t-shirt, you bought a garbage cap.
SarDragon
Global Moderator

« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2019, 07:59:25 PM »

Back in the dark ages when the Marines still wore BDUs, there was a statement in the 39-1 that specifically prohibited the "Marine style BDU cap" (8-point). It no longer appears in the 39-1.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
C/WO, CAP, Ret
Eclipse
Too Much Free Time Award

« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2019, 09:50:21 PM »

I cannot stand anyone putting cardboard in their PC...nor anyone that Rangers their cover up.

Nothing "smarter" then your hat looking like a dog bowl so it holds water in the rain, or like it got stuck
in the dryer door.

Get one of these and you're done.

https://kellac.com/military-hat-shaper/

2 color-matched stitches in the back when you're sewing on your grade and it will
never come out, you can put in in your pocket where it belongs and springs back to life when it comes out.

As to 8-pointed hats, being on a Navy base with a NEX we saw a lot of those BITD because
of panic parents dropping off their cadets, but can't imagine how / why anyone would suggest
that as the preference for CAP.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All Send this topic Print 
CAP Talk  |  General Discussion  |  Uniforms & Awards  |  Topic: Uniform Tips