Main Menu

Recreating an old file?

Started by Capt Thompson, January 27, 2015, 09:10:08 PM

Capt Thompson

Long story short......previous member with a long gap, returning to CAP. I submitted my paperwork to NHQ 2 weeks ago, and received my welcome email last Wed. When I left CAP, Eservices had just started, but almost everything was still on paper at the Squadron. When the Squadron folded (why I left) the paperwork was transferred to another local squadron, and after 5 years destroyed.

I was surprised when I logged into Eservices, that some of my previous awards (Mitchell, Earhart) and Encampment were listed, I figured it would all be blank. My question is, what is the process to submit anything that isn't listed? I remember reading a post a while back that said if you submit it all to NHQ, they will get it into Eservices, but who am I submitting it to?

Also, for the few things that I don't have copies of the original 2A's, someone mentioned that I can have the former Squadron Commander submit an affidavit? Is there a form for this, or would a simple email from him suffice?

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

LSThiker

Submit to Susie Parker:  sparker@capnhq.gov

However, some items are handled locally and are not tracked by NHQ.  For example, ribbons (i.e. Commander's Commendations) are not still tracked at NHQ. 

She can answer questions about not having the original paperwork, but if it is locally tracked items (i.e. again ribbons), then your Squadron Commander is your first line. 

JC004

National has very few records - especially older items. 

My first step as a Personnel Officer would usually be to make a list of items needed, and work from there.  For example, if someone has a FIND credit, list the 2a and work on documentation for it.

One helpful thing I've done was to find people who were in the same peer group, and get records like Participation Letters from their files.

For pre-electronic items, your wing (like the historian or Admin) may have old personnel authorizations and such for old awards, promotions, etc.

I'm working on carefully reconstructing records for people who come from poor administration units, right now.  The checklist helps - listing ribbons, badges, and such first.

Holding Pattern

Funny you should mention this... my eservices profile magically pulled my cadet signup date not too long ago. I was hoping other items might populate too, but alas, no.

Capt Thompson

How long of an absence did you have? My Mitchell and Earhart were in there, as well as my Encampment, which are all things tracked nationally. Everything else was gone, so I started from scratch.

It's rough, but that's the way it is. As a former Cadet, I breezed through Level I pretty quickly, and have OBC for Level II completed. Working on getting my ES quals back now. No sense getting down about it for long, just look to the future and work on what you can accomplish going forward. Welcome back and good luck with your new journey!
Capt Matt Thompson

Eclipse

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 20, 2015, 03:38:20 AMEverything else was gone, so I started from scratch.

You've indicated this in two different threads.  What were you missing that would still be relevent?

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

Awards and badges mainly. Obviously quals would have to be done again, as they would've expired long ago. Not complaining, I assumed it'd be a blank slate with as long as I was gone, and I'd have to prove my Mitchell and Earhart. Didn't want to take the Ranger tab off the BDU's, but I will make it back to HMRS eventually and earn it back.
Capt Matt Thompson

Майор Хаткевич

GroundHawg

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 20, 2015, 05:54:29 AM
Awards and badges mainly. Obviously quals would have to be done again, as they would've expired long ago. Not complaining, I assumed it'd be a blank slate with as long as I was gone, and I'd have to prove my Mitchell and Earhart. Didn't want to take the Ranger tab off the BDU's, but I will make it back to HMRS eventually and earn it back.

Ranger qualifications do not expire. You can wear what ever tab you earned. You will have to re-complete everything to move up to your next qual, but you can wear what you have already earned until then.

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 20, 2015, 02:36:40 PM
Heh...ranger tabs.

With what it took to earn, it matters.

Quote from: GroundHawg on February 20, 2015, 03:26:41 PM
Ranger qualifications do not expire. You can wear what ever tab you earned. You will have to re-complete everything to move up to your next qual, but you can wear what you have already earned until then.

Unfortunately no proof on paper anymore that I earned it. The only evidence is a well worn tab on my old BDU's. If I did wear it, I doubt anyone would ever question it, but I would be in the wrong.
Capt Matt Thompson

Storm Chaser

Many of us have been in the same boat. Recreate your record with anything you have and just redo the rest. You won't be the first.

jeders

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 20, 2015, 03:35:52 PM
Unfortunately no proof on paper anymore that I earned it. The only evidence is a well worn tab on my old BDU's. If I did wear it, I doubt anyone would ever question it, but I would be in the wrong.

I thought Hawk maintained a list of everyone who went through the school and earned ranger quals. Have you tried contacting them?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 20, 2015, 03:40:00 PM
Many of us have been in the same boat. Recreate your record with anything you have and just redo the rest. You won't be the first.

Yep, again not complaining, I was surprised there was anything at all with as long as I was gone. I got what I could done in January (this thread is almost a month old).

Quote from: jeders on February 20, 2015, 03:56:34 PM
I thought Hawk maintained a list of everyone who went through the school and earned ranger quals. Have you tried contacting them?

They have record of attendance, but the final task for the qual was signed off outside of the school. The paperwork is long gone unfortunately.
Capt Matt Thompson

Eclipse

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 20, 2015, 04:44:15 PM
They have record of attendance, but the final task for the qual was signed off outside of the school. The paperwork is long gone unfortunately.

Which qual?  How can you get a Ranger Tab signed off outside the school?

Also, at a minimum, the attendance record would be enough to substantiate the CSA ribbon.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Eclipse on February 20, 2015, 05:46:48 PM

Also, at a minimum, the attendance record would be enough to substantiate the CSA ribbon.

I was lacking 1 mission number to complete ( 2 or 3 were required, don't remember anymore, but I needed 1 more ). Everything on the training record was signed off at the school but the last training mission. Another member of the Squadron (an Expert Ranger) was authorized to sign off on tasks, so it was signed off a month after when I completed another training mission.

Only R-1 (or above) actually required attendance at the summer school. R-3 and R-2 can be signed off by a qualified Ranger outside of the school.
Capt Matt Thompson

Eclipse

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 20, 2015, 06:02:33 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 20, 2015, 05:46:48 PM

I was lacking 1 mission number to complete ( 2 or 3 were required, don't remember anymore, but I needed 1 more ). Everything on the training record was signed off at the school but the last training mission. Another member of the Squadron (an Expert Ranger) was authorized to sign off on tasks, so it was signed off a month after when I completed another training mission.

Only R-1 (or above) actually required attendance at the summer school. R-3 and R-2 can be signed off by a qualified Ranger outside of the school.

So which did you have?  It's still raising eyebrows that you could be signed off external from the school, yet not get into the
main rolls of "Rangers".

Again, if so, have the guy who signed you off sign a memo to that effect, bam, done.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

I was signed off on R-3 before heading to PA. I got everything signed off for R-2 except 1 mission there...the final mission was signed off after. My R-1 sheet was complete besides some map work and a pt test, but our GTL/Ranger went to the Air Force before I finished and I haven't been back to PA since.

Unfortunately I haven't seen the guy who signed off my tasks since he left for the AF in '98.
Capt Matt Thompson

Storm Chaser

You can always attend HMRS again. I attended NESA when I rejoined to get all my ground team quals back. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter as the Ranger tab doesn't confer any special quals in CAP or ES.

Capt Thompson

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 20, 2015, 06:44:56 PM
You can always attend HMRS again. I attended NESA when I rejoined to get all my ground team quals back. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter as the Ranger tab doesn't confer any special quals in CAP or ES.

True, the plan is to do the MIWG SAR Academy this summer, and then go back to HMRS next summer, so I'll earn the tab back anyway, so no big deal.
Capt Matt Thompson

GroundHawg

Quote from: S/M Thompson on February 20, 2015, 07:18:53 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 20, 2015, 06:44:56 PM

True, the plan is to do the MIWG SAR Academy this summer, and then go back to HMRS next summer, so I'll earn the tab back anyway, so no big deal.

HMRS will have your record of attendance, and more than likely, your records of R3, R2, and R1. When I sign people off for their grades, I have to email/fax/mail a copy of the record to HMRS for them to award the new grade and then send it back to me to present to the member.
They had my records from 1990, 91, 92, 93, and 94 when I rejoined in 2010.