drivel... was: Navy Awards on Cap Uniform

Started by Shuman 14, August 16, 2014, 12:47:39 PM

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^You need not be surprised, Sir.

One possible solution I have flown (and it gets shot down quicker than a MiG-15 by an F-15) is to have a grey, or "postman blue" grey-blue beret for the G/W.

In fact, wearing one without insignia would qualify as civilian headgear.  I wear my Radar O'Reilly watch cap in the winter and that is actual military issue (mine had a DoD tag on it) and nobody says anything.

I daresay it would actually look classy with the Realtor jacket, as these RAF WWII vets show:

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Luis R. Ramos

I think the Beret looks way much cooler with the fold towards the back of the head, not to the side. The colors Grey or, more so, black.

Edited to add:

I myself wear black watch caps in winter and would not deny anyone from doing so, as it is a command decision in cold weather! ;D

Back to your beret photo: Four guys wearing the beret, and not only two are wearing it in a similar way. It looks awful, specially the second one. Is that uniformity?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on September 06, 2014, 01:53:59 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 06, 2014, 05:11:48 AM
Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Para. 6.2.9CAP Baseball Cap. Wing and region commanders may prescribe color, unit designation, and/or emblem to be on the baseball cap. No rank insignia may be worn on this cap, and no emblems (clouds, darts, etc.) may be worn on the cap visor.

May prescribe.

And if my Wing/Region Commander were to do so, I would wear that.  I still have one from my former squadron hanging in my closet.

Absent that, as long as one avoids the "scrambled eggs" and rank insignia, and of course being ordered not to by higher authority, the field is still rather wide.

I still do not understand the ambiguity toward berets by personnel here in the U.S.  Some hate it, and others believe it is only for elite units.

There are a lot of other countries besides les français for whom the beret is standard issue for basic trainees off the street.

GERMANY:

GREAT BRITAIN (RAF Air Training Corps Cadets):

THE NETHERLANDS:

AUSTRIA:

CANADA (Navy):

So what the beef is about this piece of headgear...ahh doannn geddit.

It's not the Beret's fault the people with large, overgrown egos seem to think that the Beret is "special".
It's not, trust me. It's the people who wear it that make it "special".

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on September 06, 2014, 04:40:28 PM
It's not the Beret's fault the people with large, overgrown egos seem to think that the Beret is "special".

Checking...

Nope, it's the beret's fault as per ISO 0U812.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2014, 05:04:13 PM
Quote from: PHall on September 06, 2014, 04:40:28 PM

Checking...

Nope, it's the beret's fault as per ISO 0U812.

Looked that up while wearing your Beret did you?

ZigZag911

The beret does not do it for me, but I must admit it would be more "military" looking with GWs than a baseball CAP.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: ZigZag911 on September 07, 2014, 09:40:51 PM
The beret does not do it for me, but I must admit it would be more "military" looking with GWs than a baseball CAP.

Which is precisely why the powers-that-be-do not want us to have it, or any other headdress.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

arajca

Quote from: CyBorg on September 08, 2014, 03:54:42 AM

Which is precisely why the powers-that-be-do not want us to have it, or any other headdress.
On the flip side, if you make the blue beret the official headgear for the corporate service uniform, you'll kill off the tacti-kewl factor of the beret for cadets... >:D

Storm Chaser

Conspiracy theory?  :o

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: arajca on September 08, 2014, 01:32:53 PM

On the flip side, if you make the blue beret the official headgear for the corporate service uniform, you'll kill off the tacti-kewl factor of the beret for cadets... >:D

Which would just break my heart...and I did not specify it had to be blue.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 08, 2014, 04:13:58 PM

If you like.

It is not difficult to see, though.  TPTB peruse CT, I know, so they are undoubtedly aware of the desire of many (not all) to have a TRUE headdress rather than something that does not at all go with what is supposed to be a "dressier" uniform.

Yet they refuse to authorise it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Panache

Quote from: CyBorg on September 08, 2014, 05:01:08 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on September 08, 2014, 04:13:58 PM

If you like.

It is not difficult to see, though.  TPTB peruse CT, I know, so they are undoubtedly aware of the desire of many (not all) to have a TRUE headdress rather than something that does not at all go with what is supposed to be a "dressier" uniform.

Yet they refuse to authorise it.

Have to side with CyBorg here.

Let's be honest.  A baseball cap with the G/Ws puts the "ug" in "ugly".  For a point of reference, imagine you were told that, effective immediately, the blue flight cap was no longer authorized and you had to wear a baseball cap of vague, undefined description with the AF blues now.

And I wish I knew why they took the flight cap away from those in the corporate flight suit.

We're supposed to project a "professional" appearance, especially to Johnny Q. Public.  So you have two senior members:  one wearing a blue AF-style uniform with a flight cap, and the other in G/Ws with a baseball cap.  This just screams "dysfunctional".

If you were Random Citizen and you had business / questions about CAP, who would you gravitate to first?

I'm not advocating that the AF relaxes their standards for wear of the AF uniform by CAP members.  Just give those of us who wear the corporate variants something nice, that's all.

arajca

Quote from: CyBorg on September 08, 2014, 05:01:08 PM
Quote from: arajca on September 08, 2014, 01:32:53 PM

Which would just break my heart...and I did not specify it had to be blue.
True, but if it's blue, we could kill two birds solve two problems with one shot.

ZigZag911

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

ColonelJack

Quote from: CyBorg on September 10, 2014, 07:26:50 PM
I meant something more like this:

I would have to swallow my pride, my dislike, and eight different kinds of bile to be able to do it, but ... in order to have some kind of headgear for the G/W combination, I'd even wear the silly French hat.

(Gasp!  Did I say that?  Was that out loud?)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

PHall

Go ahead, adopt the beret for wear with the grey and whites.
You guys will be right back here whining about how people are not wearing the beret properly.
Anybody here want to bet against that?

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on September 10, 2014, 10:47:16 PM
You guys will be right back here whining about how people are not wearing the beret properly.

I wouldn't take that bet with Bill Gates' money.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Not only that, but you have to 'shave' the beanie beret first to get rid of the fuzz and adjust it to your head size using the drawstring before first use. (At least, that's what the Army guys told me.) Let's see how many don't even bother with those prep instructions and mash it on their heads.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

There is no "proper" way for someone not in the military to wear a beret.

Being in the military provides a "cool points" shield around the wearer negating any negative comments

CAP members don't get that, nor do they "get" that.

There are four classes of beret wearers:

Military (and former, etc).

Jamie Hyneman.

School girl.

Poser.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I will.

First of all, TPTB would have to allow us to wear it with the G/W...at least with insignia.

That's a fart's chance in a hurricane of happening.

Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2014, 11:19:14 PM
Being in the military provides a "cool points" shield around the wearer negating any negative comments

Hmm...this little clip of a young recruit in Canadian basic training would seem to say otherwise.  I'm betting the young recruit didn't feel very "cool."

PO Robinson Yelling!~!~!~
Exiled from GLR-MI-011