Personnel Senior Rating Exam

Started by capchick121, July 22, 2014, 04:30:59 PM

capchick121

I'm trying to get my senior rating in personnel but I realize the test is extremely longer than normal CAP tests and it isn't online like other tests. The test is in the personnel pamphlet and it is from 1997. The most recent personnel regulation is from 2001 I believe. So the test is obviously outdated. Am I missing something? What do I do?

Alaric

Quote from: capchick121 on July 22, 2014, 04:30:59 PM
I'm trying to get my senior rating in personnel but I realize the test is extremely longer than normal CAP tests and it isn't online like other tests. The test is in the personnel pamphlet and it is from 1997. The most recent personnel regulation is from 2001 I believe. So the test is obviously outdated. Am I missing something? What do I do?

Allegedly, there will be a new automated test out this year.  Otherwise, you can take the test, giving the correct (up to date) answers, just make sure you provide references to where your answers are and that whoever is grading it is aware.  Before you do anything, I would check up my chain of command to see what would be acceptable.

capchick121

Ugh. I feared that was the answer. I do not believe in doing unnecessary work. Thank you!

Camas

You'll need a testing officer to conduct the test. Not sure of the reg that states that but right now I'm too lazy to look it up.

At the time I was wing personnel officer I was also wing testing officer so that made it a bit of a challenge for me getting my senior rating. The solution? I went to my former squadron; had the testing officer test me and voila - problem solved.

capchick121

If the regulation doesn't specify whether or not a testing officer is required, can I take it without a testing officer? This whole time I just assumed I needed a testing officer. Which is fine but ours hates me lol. This test and the answers are provided in the specialty track pamphlet.

Alaric

Quote from: capchick121 on July 22, 2014, 04:39:39 PM
If the regulation doesn't specify whether or not a testing officer is required, can I take it without a testing officer? This whole time I just assumed I needed a testing officer. Which is fine but ours hates me lol. This test and the answers are provided in the specialty track pamphlet.

Its why I would check with my chain of command, in all the Wings that I have been in it was taken as a closed book exam, which you need to get IIRC at least a 90 on.

capchick121

IIRC? Sorry I'm slow lol. Id love to take this test online and blind side everyone. I can't stand our current leadership and really don't want them in my business. I'm transferring squadrons in a few months so I'm trying to get my stuff squared away. I'm seriously considering just memorizing the old regs so that I can just take and pass the test. If I bring this to the Chain of Command they will have to "check on it" and they will put me off for months.

Tim Medeiros

I would argue that it does not require a testing officer, especially since the answers for the test begin on page A5-6 of the same pamphlet.  Additionally, I've only come across one other test in CAP where I needed to actually write out answers (instead of using the CAPF 23), and that was the essay portion of my Spaatz Exam, which is a completely different animal.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

capchick121

"Ask your unit commander or unit testing officer to administer the questions at the end of this section as a closed book examination."

Crap.

THRAWN

Quote from: capchick121 on July 22, 2014, 05:12:24 PM
"Ask your unit commander or unit testing officer to administer the questions at the end of this section as a closed book examination."

Crap.

You are testing for the senior level in the rating and just finding this out? Might want to study some more before you sit for the eval.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

capchick121

Awww and we have a lovely example of CAP members at their finest now! Thanks so much!
  If you go back and re-read the entire thread here, someone mentioned that it didn't look like I needed a testing officer. I was kindly citing the regulations in reply to that. But thank you for showing us how supportive CAP members are THRAWN. :)

THRAWN

Quote from: capchick121 on July 22, 2014, 05:23:57 PM
Awww and we have a lovely example of CAP members at their finest now! Thanks so much!
  If you go back and re-read the entire thread here, someone mentioned that it didn't look like I needed a testing officer. I was kindly citing the regulations in reply to that. But thank you for showing us how supportive CAP members are THRAWN. :)

I'm being perfectly supportive. You should study the manual a bit more before you sit for the eval. Then you will know the answers to questions like this, and you will be in a better position to pass. I could grok if it was a manual that you're not familiar with, but you're testing for the senior rating, which means that you have more than a half-hour of exposure to the material. Furthermore, as an officer, you should know that you should consult your chain before posting questions like this, no matter how much you "can't stand" them.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

capchick121

So, you're saying you can only post questions on CAPTALK after you've consulted your chain of command. HA! Delaware must have NICE Squadrons.

My initial question was what do I do because the test is outdated. That question isn't found in the regulations. So your comment "You should study the manual a bit more before you sit for the eval. Then you will know the answer to questions like this...." is kind of irrelevant. Considering the answer to my question isn't found in the manuals!

Camas

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on July 22, 2014, 05:05:22 PM
I would argue that it does not require a testing office
Quote from: capchick121 on July 22, 2014, 05:12:24 PM
You got it - CAPP200 Page 9 Paragraph 3a.

Garibaldi

Quote from: capchick121 on July 22, 2014, 05:36:57 PM
So, you're saying you can only post questions on CAPTALK after you've consulted your chain of command. HA! Delaware must have NICE Squadrons.

Not at all, but sometimes we get people whose questions could have been answered locally. Mostly from cadets who are too lazy to check with their chain o' command (and that is NOT the chain you get beat with until you realize who is in command).

My initial question was what do I do because the test is outdated. That question isn't found in the regulations. So your comment "You should study the manual a bit more before you sit for the eval. Then you will know the answer to questions like this...." is kind of irrelevant. Considering the answer to my question isn't found in the manuals!

Valid.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

Nope, but they need to be your first stop.

The test is not outdated. The references are still valid. Read the book, and the references.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Alaric

Quote from: THRAWN on July 22, 2014, 07:19:48 PM

The test is not outdated. The references are still valid. Read the book, and the references.

Actually THRAWN some of the questions refer to regulations that have been superseded by new regulations (including a different number).  It's a known problem as I called down to NHQ before I took my test to see if they had reissued it and they were aware of the problem and working toward a new pamphlet (and appropriate tests) for Personnel.

capchick121

And just for the record. Commander just replied to my email and said exactly what I said he would "let me research this and get back to you". So that means it will never get researched and if I bring it up and start pushing, I start losing positions.

SarDragon

Quote from: THRAWN on July 22, 2014, 07:19:48 PM

The test is not outdated.
The references are still valid. Read the book, and the references.

Strongly disagree. The current correct answers differ significantly in several cases from the answers listed in the answer key. The references also differ in a couple of cases. Trying to find, and use, outdated reference material seems counterproductive. We need to be learning and reinforcing the current regs, not outdated material.

I took my test right in the middle of the governance change. What a clusterfex.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: capchick121 on July 22, 2014, 07:26:36 PM
And just for the record. Commander just replied to my email and said exactly what I said he would "let me research this and get back to you". So that means it will never get researched and if I bring it up and start pushing, I start losing positions.

If THAT happens, then it's a failure on his part. Commander being vengeful due to squeaky wheel. Bad, bad commander. If you DON'T squeak, you get passed by more than you would if you yelled. Sometimes, they need to be pushed.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things