Correct T Shirt for Wear with BDU

Started by Brit_in_CAP, February 25, 2014, 03:27:48 PM

Brit_in_CAP

This may seem like a very basic question but I have come to realize that the only stupid questions are the ones we don't ask, and that CAPTALK is a good place to find good information.  Here we go.

I understand that 39-1 is undergoing revision.

What is the **current** correct statement regarding the color of the T shirt that can be worn with the BDU blouse; I'm worried that I have missed a detail in a change letter somewhere.

If you've had chance to read or comment on the 39-1 draft, what is contained in the draft on the subject?  Again, I'm looking to check my understanding.

Eclipse

Black or Brown.

Black or brown is in the draft.

Edit: Like he said

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

It hasn't changed and is not changing. 

Current 39-1:

(Undershirts) Brown or black. Either V-neck, U-neck, crew neck or athletic style
without pockets. Black or brown turtlenecks, dickeys, or thermal
undershirts without pockets may also be worn. EXCEPTION:
members may wear white thermal undershirts even if exposed at neck.
Unit commanders may prescribe color, unit designation, and cloth or
silk screen emblem, to be worn on left side of chest not to exceed 5
inches in diameter.

Draft 39-1:

5.1.2.1 Shirt (Long Sleeve). Cotton and nylon twill or rip-stop cotton; single-breasted
with four bellow pockets with flaps; straight-cut bottom sleeve tabs, and side body panels
with or without take-up tabs. Long sleeve camouflage pattern (woodland green) may be
rolled up; if rolled up, sleeve material must match shirt and will touch or come within 1
inch of forearms when arm is bent at a 90-degree angle; may be removed in the immediate
work area. A black or brown, crew neck T-shirt will be worn. Military creases are
prohibited.

And just a personal aside to the OP after reading your signature:  You are not a "1/Lt", you are a "1st Lt.".   Or, if you are a Cadet, you are a "C/1st Lt.". 

Eclipse

I think the only real change is removing white from the blue field uniform (which looks awful, especially if the shirt actually isn't "white")

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Correspondence on this matter can be closed!

Many thanks - I was simply worried that I had missed a change along the way.

I also fixed the previously unnoticed typo   :-[    in my signature so it's been a productive morning....

Sapper168

Quote from: JoeTomasone on February 25, 2014, 03:38:00 PM
It hasn't changed and is not changing. 

Current 39-1:

(Undershirts) Brown or black. Either V-neck, U-neck, crew neck or athletic style
without pockets. Black or brown turtlenecks, dickeys, or thermal
undershirts without pockets may also be worn. EXCEPTION:
members may wear white thermal undershirts even if exposed at neck.
Unit commanders may prescribe color, unit designation, and cloth or
silk screen emblem, to be worn on left side of chest not to exceed 5
inches in diameter.

Draft 39-1:

5.1.2.1 Shirt (Long Sleeve). Cotton and nylon twill or rip-stop cotton; single-breasted
with four bellow pockets with flaps; straight-cut bottom sleeve tabs, and side body panels
with or without take-up tabs. Long sleeve camouflage pattern (woodland green) may be
rolled up; if rolled up, sleeve material must match shirt and will touch or come within 1
inch of forearms when arm is bent at a 90-degree angle; may be removed in the immediate
work area. A black or brown, crew neck T-shirt will be worn. Military creases are
prohibited.

And just a personal aside to the OP after reading your signature:  You are not a "1/Lt", you are a "1st Lt.".   Or, if you are a Cadet, you are a "C/1st Lt.".

if you keep reading you get to this which is the new drafts version of the above....

5.1.2.4 T-Shirt. A black short or long sleeved t-shirt will be worn under the BDU coat. Unit commanders may prescribe unit designation emblems, subject to the approval of the wing commander, not to exceed 5 inches in diameter, in cloth or silk screen, worn on the left side of chest. Neither unit designation emblems nor commercial logos will be visible when wearing the BDU coat (shirt). Black turtlenecks may also be authorized; thermal undergarments may be black, white or cream colored and are authorized for wear as weather conditions warrant. T-shirts and turtlenecks will not have pockets and all must be tucked into the trousers

It doesn't mention brown at all. ::)
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Panache

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on February 26, 2014, 04:55:00 AM

I believe it does, but only in one part, which leaves me to believe it was a typo or an oversight.

Sapper168

Quote from: Panache on February 26, 2014, 04:57:12 AM

I believe it does, but only in one part, which leaves me to believe it was a typo or an oversight.

I meant it doesn't mention brown in the t-shirt section at all.  It actually looks like they took out all brown and white t-shirts from field and flight uniforms leaving just black.  I also think it is a typo.

JoeTomasone

if you keep reading you get to this which is the new drafts version of the above....

5.1.2.4 T-Shirt. A black short or long sleeved t-shirt will be worn under the BDU coat. Unit commanders may prescribe unit designation emblems, subject to the approval of the wing commander, not to exceed 5 inches in diameter, in cloth or silk screen, worn on the left side of chest. Neither unit designation emblems nor commercial logos will be visible when wearing the BDU coat (shirt). Black turtlenecks may also be authorized; thermal undergarments may be black, white or cream colored and are authorized for wear as weather conditions warrant. T-shirts and turtlenecks will not have pockets and all must be tucked into the trousers

I filed a comment mentioning that.  I believe it to be an oversight and that they meant to include it.   Who knows?  I could be wrong.

Mitchell 1969

As good a place as any to ask:

Does anyone know the why behind prohibiting pockets on black t-shirts? I've never understood why it is an issue.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

lordmonar

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on February 26, 2014, 05:29:43 AM
As good a place as any to ask:

Does anyone know the why behind prohibiting pockets on black t-shirts? I've never understood why it is an issue.
Because.

No other reason is needed.

Probably because someone in the military thought it "looks better".
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panache

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on February 26, 2014, 05:13:19 AM

I meant it doesn't mention brown in the t-shirt section at all.  It actually looks like they took out all brown and white t-shirts from field and flight uniforms leaving just black.  I also think it is a typo.

From the draft:

5.1.2 Men's and Women's Battle Dress Uniform.
5.1.2.1 Shirt (Long Sleeve). Cotton and nylon twill or rip-stop cotton; single-breasted with four bellow pockets with flaps; straight-cut bottom sleeve tabs, and side body panels with or without take-up tabs. Long sleeve camouflage pattern (woodland green) may be rolled up; if rolled up, sleeve material must match shirt and will touch or come within 1 inch of forearms when arm is bent at a 90-degree angle; may be removed in the immediate work area. A black or brown, crew neck T-shirt will be worn. Military creases are prohibited.

Sapper168

Quote from: Panache on February 26, 2014, 05:44:17 AM

From the draft:

5.1.2.1 Shirt (Long Sleeve). Cotton and nylon twill or rip-stop cotton; single-breasted with four bellow pockets with flaps; straight-cut bottom sleeve tabs, and side body panels with or without take-up tabs. Long sleeve camouflage pattern (woodland green) may be rolled up; if rolled up, sleeve material must match shirt and will touch or come within 1 inch of forearms when arm is bent at a 90-degree angle; may be removed in the immediate work area. A black or brown, crew neck T-shirt will be worn. Military creases are prohibited.

As previously stated this is the only place in the draft a brown t-shirt is mentioned, leading to the belief it is a typo.  ???

a2capt

Figuring on when the uniform is worn without the blouse, then you've got some pocketed, others not. So specify no pocket, and you know what you're getting. But then some have various activity logos on them, too.

Eclipse

What are you going to put in there, anyway?

Your pocket protector and slide-in glass case?

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2014, 04:41:08 PM

What are you going to put in there, anyway?

Your pocket protector and slide-in glass case?

Our Sooper-Sekrit CAP decoder wheel, obviously.

(spins wheel)

D-R-I-N-K Y-O-U-R O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E.  A crappy commercial?  Son of a bi....

Al Sayre

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on February 26, 2014, 07:50:58 AM

From the draft:

As previously stated this is the only place in the draft a brown t-shirt is mentioned, leading to the belief it is a typo.  ???

Yeah, and who puts military creases in a T-shrt anyway? >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Luis R. Ramos

Quote from: Al Sayre on February 26, 2014, 08:47:06 PM
Quote from: Ground_Pounder on February 26, 2014, 07:50:58 AM

From the draft:

[/b]

Yeah, and who puts military creases in a T-shrt anyway? >:D

Al S,

That last sentence is because the entire para is devoted to the shirt and what is worn under the shirt. So, the last sentence refers to the shirt, which is the first sentence and the para title and not to the undershirt.

Panache,

Another message for that sooper-sikret decoder:

W-e-a-r Y-o-u-r S-e-a-t B-e-l-t

and

D-o N-o-t Q-u-e-s-t-i-o-n A-u-t-h-o-r-i-t-y-!

>:D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Panache

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 26, 2014, 11:43:29 PM
Panache,

Another message for that sooper-sikret decoder:

D-o N-o-t Q-u-e-s-t-i-o-n A-u-t-h-o-r-i-t-y-!

Eclipse

Hmm...no bubble gum left, that leaves only one other option...

"That Others May Zoom"