ROTC Ribbons Required?

Started by Archer, February 13, 2014, 12:17:02 AM

Archer

39-1 requires all ribbons to be worn on the service dress blues, however, should a member have JROTC/ROTC ribbons that he/she has earned, would the member be required to wear up to 3 of them on the CAP SDB's?

Edit: for grammar, son.

Eclipse

Only CAP ribbons are required. 

Anything else is optional at the wearer's discretion.

As an FYI - the last-round of draft of 39-1 indicted cadets will be allowed to short-stack to their highest achievement.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

Quote from: Eclipse on February 13, 2014, 12:39:56 AM
Only CAP ribbons are required. 

Anything else is optional at the wearer's discretion.

As an FYI - the last-round of draft of 39-1 indicted cadets will be allowed to short-stack to their highest achievement.

I'm curious to see how many cadets end up doing that. I might, but not until I get my Eaker or get awarded something else, otherwise it's a pain to re-do my rack.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

UH60guy

They might have to given the amount of awards cadets can earn... Remember they also have to remain below the notch in the collar.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

Eclipse

For new cadets it would mean not having to buy a larger ribbon rack all the time.

Were I a CC, I'd probably suggest a short-stack on the shirt, when worn, and going full-boat on the service coat.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I'm just waiting for the statement crowd to wear a membership ribbon only. :)

Or Spaatz mafia members wearing only that one ribbon. Gonna be awesome.

HGjunkie

Quote from: UH60guy on February 13, 2014, 01:00:09 AM
They might have to given the amount of awards cadets can earn... Remember they also have to remain below the notch in the collar.

Negative, that applies to SM's only.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1NOTE: All ribbons and devices worn by senior members must fall below the top notch of the collar on the service coat or the bottom tip of the collar of AF-style shirts/blouses worn as outergarments.

Honestly, I think most cadets would just forego the rack on the shirt if they have that many ribbons to necessitate short-stacking.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Some need a ribbon that says "Continued on reverse"

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on February 13, 2014, 02:03:40 AM
Some need a ribbon that says "Continued on reverse"

I already have that ribbon. >:D

(CAC ribbon and a label maker!)

MSG Mac

Quote from: usafaux2004 on February 13, 2014, 01:39:14 AM

I once met a CMH recipient who only wore that 1 ribbon
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

UH60guy

Quote from: HGjunkie on February 13, 2014, 01:57:17 AM
Quote from: UH60guy on February 13, 2014, 01:00:09 AM

Negative, that applies to SM's only.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1NOTE: All ribbons and devices worn by senior members must fall below the top notch of the collar on the service coat or the bottom tip of the collar of AF-style shirts/blouses worn as outergarments.

Honestly, I think most cadets would just forego the rack on the shirt if they have that many ribbons to necessitate short-stacking.

Maybe I'm missing a change letter or another conflicting paragraph, but 39-1 on capmembers.com page 24 note 5 doesn't differentiate between cadets and seniors with the notch rule. Then again, the next page with the female uniform doesn't even mention it at all, so who knows.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

HGjunkie

If the notch rule applied to cadets, then that would automatically violate the "Wear of all ribbons is mandatory for cadets" rule on the Jacket. I'm already pushing it with a meager 19 ribbons and two badges, the Notch rule would state after 21 ribbons I would have to take something off. Then there are cadets with 30+ ribbons... who definitely surpass the notch.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

If I counted correctly, There are "only" 37 ribbons that cadets are qualified to earn, and "only"
32 that a cadet is ever likely to see, and that includes the AFA & VFW awards a lot of CCs don't even know about,
and few cadets get.

So the majority of cadets aren't going to get much past 25, and those are probably cadets wearing ROTC ribbons
which could be removed.

"That Others May Zoom"

HGjunkie

I can think of a couple people off the top of my head who have more than 25, and one specifically with 29 CAP ribbons. Rare, but not unlikely.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

Eclipse

Those have to either be Phase IV's nearing the end of their careers, or cadets who live for ES
and have saved the lives of multiple foreign dignitaries.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 13, 2014, 03:07:21 AM

What other ribbons would a MoH recipient need to wear?

On topic: My first squadron had some dual status CAP/JROTC cadets.  They had so many ribbons that it almost looked grotesque.

Soviet AF General's uniform provided for illustration...no kidding, this is what some of the cadets' ribbon racks were close to, not to mention that not a few of the ribbons were frayed and dirty.

I know little to nothing about AFJROTC ribbons, or their requirements - how many (if any) are "fog-a-mirror" ribbons?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

LSThiker

Quote from: UH60guy on February 13, 2014, 03:08:07 AM
Maybe I'm missing a change letter or another conflicting paragraph, but 39-1 on capmembers.com page 24 note 5 doesn't differentiate between cadets and seniors with the notch rule. Then again, the next page with the female uniform doesn't even mention it at all, so who knows.

CAPM 39-1, 2-1:
NOTE: All ribbons, badges, and devices worn by senior members must fall below the top notch of the collar on the service coat or the bottom tip of the collar of shirts/blouses worn as outer garments.

CAPM 39-1, Figure 2-1, Note 4 (Senior Members)
CAP Aviation Badges and Specialty Insignia: Highly polished, worn centered 1/2 inch above ribbons. All ribbons and devices must fall below the top edge of the notched collar.

CAPM 39-1, Figure 2-1, Note 5 (Senior Members)
All ribbons and devices must fall below the top notch of the collar

CAPM 39-1, 5-2:
NOTE: All ribbons and devices worn by senior members must fall below the top notch of the collar on the service coat or the bottom tip of the collar of AF-style shirts/blouses worn as outergarments.

CAPM 39-1, 6-3:
NOTE: All ribbons, badges, and devices worn by senior members must fall below the notch of the collar on the service coat or the bottom tip of the collar of all shirts/blouses worn as outergarments.

Notice how they only say Senior Members.  Cadets are never mentioned.

When I was a cadet, I wish I had this option.  I would have eliminated all the achievement ribbons and only worn the Spaatz ribbon.

Brad

Quote from: CyBorg on February 13, 2014, 05:29:37 AMI know little to nothing about AFJROTC ribbons, or their requirements - how many (if any) are "fog-a-mirror" ribbons?

I was NJROTC, and we always picked on the Army JROTC guys for having "cleaning the latrine" ribbons, they had SO MANY! All of ours at least had some form of justification behind all of them and there's only 25. Not too bad, especially considering the ones that belong to extra-curricular teams that you have to make an effort to participate with, and of course the top ones are likely not to be achieved until your senior year.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

spaatzmom

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 13, 2014, 03:07:21 AM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on February 13, 2014, 01:39:14 AM

That one ribbon kinda says it all.

MHC5096

I was awarded an NJROTC Meritorious Acheivement Award at the end of my junior year for being instrumental in setting up a new unit at another high school. I think I saw a total of 4 of them the entire 4 years I was in the program. Fun times.

The worst thing about the Army JROTC ribbons was the color combinations...

Purple, green and grey?

Brown, orange, green and grey?

Yellow, orange and green?

:o :o

Mark H. Crary
Lt Col, CAP (1990-Present)
DDC-P, CGAUX (2011-Present)
MSgt, USAF (1995-2011)
QM2, USN (1989-1995)