Uniforms and Rank/Grade

Started by ColonelJack, September 16, 2013, 04:41:39 PM

PHall

Quote from: Brad on September 24, 2013, 02:17:33 AM
Speaking with regards to the golf shirt combo, I would be all for khaki pants as opposed to the gray pants. We had this uniform when I was in NROTC and it looks very sharp, and the AF has it too if you look in the current uniform regulation. They wear the blue polo shirt with the USAF logo on it and the brushed silver nameplate. Very sharp.

And the only folks authorized to wear this combo are in the Services Squadron and work at the Gym. A very small number.

Shuman 14

Speaking with regards to the golf shirt combo, I would be all for khaki pants as opposed to the gray pants. We had this uniform when I was in NROTC and it looks very sharp, and the AF has it too if you look in the current uniform regulation. They wear the blue polo shirt with the USAF logo on it and the brushed silver nameplate. Very sharp.

Does look good.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on September 24, 2013, 02:41:44 AM

And the only folks authorized to wear this combo are in the Services Squadron and work at the Gym. A very small number.

Do Recruiters fall in the Service Squadron, because I see them wearing this all the time?
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on September 24, 2013, 02:45:02 AM

Do Recruiters fall in the Service Squadron, because I see them wearing this all the time?

Interesting, I've never seen Air Force Recruiters in anything other then the Blue Service Uniform while in their office or at MEPS.
And Recruiters are assigned to a Recruiting Squadron.

Shuman 14

The ones I talked to said the local HS's prefer the polo uniform as it is a "less military" look.

I know, didn't make much sense to me either.  :-\
Joseph J. Clune

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on September 24, 2013, 03:50:02 AM

Interesting, I've never seen Air Force Recruiters in anything other then the Blue Service Uniform while in their office or at MEPS.
Last year at Aviation Nation.  The USAF recruiters were out in force......almost all of them were in Polo and Khakis.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panache

There are pros and cons to the khaki Army Air Corp-styled uniforms and BDU's, but let's be honest:  it's pretty much a pipe dream.  I don't think anybody here thinks it would ever become a reality.  There are five fundamental forces in he universe: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, weak nuclear, and bureaucratic inertia.

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: lordmonar on September 24, 2013, 04:27:19 AM
Quote from: PHall on September 24, 2013, 03:50:02 AM

Last year at Aviation Nation.  The USAF recruiters were out in force......almost all of them were in Polo and Khakis.

The last time I was on Maxwell AFB, it seemed all the OTS Students hanging out in the BX  were in blue polo and khaki. 
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Al Sayre

Then we'll never get the khaki as it wouldn't be easily recognizable in low light conditions... >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

AlphaSigOU

Nope... they fall under the Air Force Recruiting Service, not under Services (Force Support Squadron, these days.)
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Grumpy on September 24, 2013, 12:03:39 AM
Quote from: SunDog on September 23, 2013, 11:04:36 PM
I'm just barely old enough to remenber USAF 1505's, a khaki uniform that was wretched. I had occasion to wear it only once or twice. . .

Freshly pressed, it looked like an unmade bed in about ten minutes. If starched, it look like you slept it in after 20 minutes. Wasn't a uniform you could wear twice in a row. They disappeared long before the official drop date. . .new guy or old timer, I never met anyone who had bought a 1505 item.

Few one wore it unless they had to, and given the option, most preferred the open neck light blue shirt with the dark blue pants. Or, the non-camo green fatigues, which, perversley, did stay pressed with starch. Heavier material, maybe?

I imagine modern taxtile science could do domething with the fabric, keep it looking better. . .as long as it isn't that ghastly "double knit" quasi-khaki-looking thing the Navy had a while back.

I wore both the 505's and 1505's.  The 505's were of a heavier material and had to be starched and, yes, they wrinkled in about 5 to 10 minutes of putting them on.  They also had a bush jacket with a belt that was a pain in the tush.  You should have seen the shorts and pith helmet that was available too.

The 1505's were of a lighter material but I never starched them.  I did wash and iron them.

Here's a shot of 505"

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//post-214-1180477852.jpg

and the bush jacket       http://bobhudson.com/ebay/bushfront.jpg

I wore 1505s, a lot. 505s were still around, too and I wore them a few times, as my "spare uniform."

Neither one was ever referred to as "khaki."  They were tan, or silver tan. The 505 was cotton, and would fade, while 1505 was a cotton/poly blend (more cotton than poly) and was less likely to fade. 1505s were not supposed to be starched, but could take sizing.

I had an unusual pair of trousers back then. The left leg wrinkled more than the right. Over time, the left leg faded more. I took a closer look. And discovered that they were a hybrid. I guess that one day at the uniform factory they switched from making 505s to 1505s. Somebody blew a whistle, the 505 fabric was carted away and 1505 brought in. But...there was one left half of a 505 trousers in the works. Somebody grabbed a 1505 right half and sewed them together. Close enough for government work.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Mitchell 1969

But you're missing the CAP mindset. They didn't pick gray specifically to wear with the polo or the aviator shirt. They picked gray "to save members money." Making you buy khaki "...would COST you more."

(Because gray goes with the blazer and it works so well with the IACE uniform - Please don't confuse things by saying that most CAP members don't go on IACE or own the blazer - that's beside the point).

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Luis R. Ramos

...there was one left half of a 505 trousers in the works. Somebody grabbed a 1505 right half and sewed them together. Close enough for government work.

Sshhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Those members that argue their tan shirt is a shade of brown, and all those that use any shade of brown but do not consider that 39-1 means "Army Brown" with their BDUs will use this as proof they can mix and match, and use any shade of brown with their BDUs!

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

Storm Chaser

While the beige khakis look great with a navy blue polo (and the Air Force does use them), they wouldn't look as good with the aviator shirt or other uniform combinations. I agree with others that that was the main reason they were picked over beige khakis. I'm sure that our gray insignias (name tag, epaulet slides) also had something to do with it.

Luis R. Ramos

I do not see how a blue polo can look great with a beige pant, and a white shirt not look so great with the same pant.

White is white, and goes great with any color.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on September 24, 2013, 04:21:19 AM
The ones I talked to said the local HS's prefer the polo uniform as it is a "less military" look.

Wait a minute, they're "Military Recruiters". Wouldn't trying to look "less military" be false advertising? ???

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: PHall on September 26, 2013, 01:37:03 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on September 24, 2013, 04:21:19 AM

Wait a minute, they're "Military Recruiters". Wouldn't trying to look "less military" be false advertising? ???

False Advertising on the part of Military Recruiters?  Oh say it ain't so. 

Remember that Goldie Hawn Movie 'Private Benjamin'?  Here she is in the mud and rain practicing being miserable and says something along the lines of:

This isn't the Army I joined  I joined the Army with the Condos and the beaches.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 25, 2013, 07:24:06 PM
I do not see how a blue polo can look great with a beige pant, and a white shirt not look so great with the same pant.

White is white, and goes great with any color.

Flyer

Khaki pants are usually considered casual/business casual, which is fine with a polo shirt, but not (IMHO) as a corporate, military style uniform. As far as colors go, I have trouble picturing a military style uniform that is white and beige, especially when the name tag and epaulet slides are medium gray. It may work for some, but I just can't see it. I suspect many others feel the same way.