Guidelines for creating patches

Started by NJcadet, July 20, 2013, 11:29:02 AM

NJcadet

In what circumstances can a specific patch be made for the BDU uniform? I know squadrons can create their own, but can lower-level groups make them such as color guards or ground teams?

If so, what must that group do to get it authorized?

lordmonar

The Regs are silent on lower echelon/special unit patches.......all patches must be approved at the wing level.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MisterCD

Approval at wing level is currently the only main requirement. The Office of CAP Heraldry will start up next week and will be developing guidance and information for CAP units in regards to insignia. Temporary guidance will be issued until a CAP Heraldry Guide can be published.

Eclipse

This requires a wing supplement to authorize wear.

It would then be worn the same as other optional patches such as NCSAs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_Vector__JanuaryMarch_2014_029373D619EB6.pdf

Office of Heraldry: At the November CSAG meeting the members approved development of a CAP
regulation for heraldry to be introduced in 2014
, together with a pamphlet with information on insignia
development. Both documents are currently being revised and finalized.

"That Others May Zoom"

Huey Driver

Quote from: Eclipse on December 18, 2013, 08:01:39 PM
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_Vector__JanuaryMarch_2014_029373D619EB6.pdf

Office of Heraldry: At the November CSAG meeting the members approved development of a CAP

Ah, excellent. A few units from my wing have been struggling to design patches, and to get them approved. Hopefully this will improve the process for us, and make the whole concept of changing a squadron patch less of a far-fetched idea.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

NIN

The Institute for Heraldry under the Department of the Army handles heraldry for the entire DoD and US government.

Why reinvent the wheel? Those folks are the subject matter experts. We would do well to run all of our heraldry items through them, to be assured of their accuracy and legitimacy.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

MisterCD

The gentleman writing the regulations has worked with the Army Institute of Heraldry and the policies largely adhere to current USAF regulations regarding heraldry. Once instituted, there will be a grace/grandfathering period for current insignia. We are just trying to simplify the actual documents so one covers what commanders need to know and the other is intended to provide information about designs, etc.

Eclipse

A reasonable expectation would be that existing insignia could be used in perpetuity with a "no re-order" directive and
and a mandate that the insignia(s) be corrected for shape, inappropriate art, etc., immediately.  The correction of the
insignia itself costs nothing to do.

Websites, letterhead, signage, etc., should be used until not serviceable or used up, etc., but no money can be spent going
forward on anything that doesn't comply.

It should also be in effect for all echelons. Despite its use being rescinded in Dec 2012, not only has NHQ created a number
of new insignia which contain the Hap Arnold wings, they continue to publish documents and presentations that contain
the prohibited insignia and have not removed it from older docs, and in many cases are using a version of that logo
that never was compliant to begin with.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: NJWG Cadet on July 20, 2013, 11:29:02 AM
In what circumstances can a specific patch be made for the BDU uniform? I know squadrons can create their own, but can lower-level groups make them such as color guards or ground teams?

If so, what must that group do to get it authorized?

I think the OP was thinking more along the lines of a morale patch http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=18230.0

i.e., "Ground Team 1 .. Mayberry Rescue Dogs" or "SQ 99 Wing Color Guard of the Year".  8)

Private Investigator

Quote from: JerseyCadet on December 18, 2013, 08:15:13 PM

Ah, excellent. A few units from my wing have been struggling to design patches, and to get them approved. Hopefully this will improve the process for us, and make the whole concept of changing a squadron patch less of a far-fetched idea.

Why do they need a Squadron patch? They do not have one or they just want to reinvent the wheel?   ::)

Eclipse

Personally I think a unit insignia should be required for everything with a charter.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

@ Eclipse

Just a unit insignia or also a unit patch? Because on a previous discussion you argued against wearing multiple patches. If we were to reduce the number of patches worn on the BDU, I think many (maybe most) members would prefer to wear patches they've earned rather than a unit patch.

While I have nothing against unit patches, I would rather see the wing patch become mandatory for all again and remove the reversed U.S. Flag from the uniform.

Eclipse

All units should have an insignia, what they do with it from there is up to the commander,
there are lots of places to use a unit insignia besides a patch.

My points on the uniform were in regards to wearing >all< of the possible patches, not anyone
specifically.  Just because you >can< wear something doesn't mean you should, and the
choices one makes in regards to the insignia will speak volumes about what you think is
important, especially if you limit what you wear.

Personally, I'd just as soon as lose the wing patches alltogether and mandate a unit insignia in
that spot.  Most members rarely, if ever, leave their wing, and when they do, it isn't very often.
Seeing 100 people at every SAREx with the same wing patch is pretty much useless.

We don't do that "@" thing here...

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: NIN on December 18, 2013, 08:37:42 PMThe Institute for Heraldry under the Department of the Army handles heraldry for the entire DoD and US government.

Why reinvent the wheel? Those folks are the subject matter experts. We would do well to run all of our heraldry items through them, to be assured of their accuracy and legitimacy.
Simple. "Not Invented Here".

Create an office, create a title, sell it to the body that approves.

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on December 19, 2013, 05:59:58 PM
Personally, I'd just as soon as lose the wing patches alltogether and mandate a unit insignia in
that spot.  Most members rarely, if ever, leave their wing, and when they do, it isn't very often.
Seeing 100 people at every SAREx with the same wing patch is pretty much useless.

Nah.  If we don't look like walking billboards, somebody may mistake Lt. Random CAP Member as a member of the RealAirForce™ in a Quickie-Mart parking lot, and as everybody knows, that's one of the signs of the Apocalypse.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Patterson

If I'm not mistaken, The Institute if Heraldry approved any and all CAP patches submitted to them at one point.  Before that organization existed, the Army's Quartermaster General actually created and/or approved all CAP patches into the early 1950's.  I also saw the CAP Corporate logos, seal and patches copywrite documents about a year ago...the owner was listed as "Quartermaster, US Army".  I will do my best to dig these items up as I'm sure someone will counter these claims.

Pulsar

C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

a2capt

Okay, so if stuff was generally approved by an entity prior to this "new one" being made, and this "new one" comes along and says "hey you have to change all this".. 

More members time wasted. No, it's not "free" just to place a new order, someone still has to re-work it, play the approval process game again, etc., and for what?

So a bunch of patches are 'standard', when we've done pretty well for 70 years now. All because someone wants to be Chief at something.

Whatever.