Guidelines for creating patches

Started by NJcadet, July 20, 2013, 11:29:02 AM

lordmonar

1.  No one has said anything about making units change.....at least not immediately.
2.  IF.....IF non standard patches are going to be forced to changed....I am sure that the verbage will be such that "once on hand stocks are depleted" will be in there somewhere.....so no "additional" finds would have to be spent.
3.  Standardisation of unit patchs has been something that has been in the background for at least the last 10 years of my CAP time....this ain't something new nor is it something "who wanted to be chief" just cooked up.
4.  The simple solution to any "additional costs" is to just simply eliminate this optional patch from your squadron OI.   NHQ says you got to change.......you think it will cost too much......just stop wearing one....now everyone saves money.   NHQ does not have to spend time approving patches not submitted, unit don't have to spend CAP money to front the production, and members don't have to spend time and money on putting the patches on their uniforms.

Personally I am advising my commander to not authorize squadron patches if/when we get ABU's for this very reason.

YMMV.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"right" is "right", and in this case we have a lot of people doing things even despite being told
what the proper form is.  How many conversations have we had where we've advised a
unit to use a disc and the "designer" simply says "meh, I like this better?"

It costs zee-ro to redesign an insignia.  If, as a commander, you can't find someone in your unit / group / wing to
assist in that process, turn in your badge, you're the definition of useless.

And the process of design / redesign is a nice low-impact team-building situation.

Approval is an email, if that's too much effort for the unit requesting, or the wing approving, then
whoever is the impediment has to go as well.

This forces no cost on anyone, can help unit morale and cohesion, and is another baseline thing we should
all be doing as a matter of course, instead of again, making it this big deal.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on December 19, 2013, 05:59:58 PM
We don't do that "@" thing here...

Is this a board rule or an "Eclipse" rule?  >:D

SarDragon

Not so much a rule, as a common practice. The "@" is used other places because there's no quote capacity. We don't have that problem here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dracosbane

Patches, morale and otherwise, are nice to have, collect, make, design, etc.  The unfortunate thing is that most patches will not be worn on our uniform(s).  There are patch books, a couple of decent large loop panels from a couple of gear companies, and of course the (possible) option of go bags/gear placement.  Or perhaps the "pilot's jacket" with your favorite patches sewn/velcroed on.

However, for those contemplating the design of local logos, patches, morale boosters, etc., I might suggest that you look into the idea of zaps or stickers.  These can be placed on or in personal gear like binders, notebooks, laptops, etc.  They can also be put on gear totes, filing cabinets, or nearly anywhere.  They can also be collected, traded, given away, created in infinite sizes and shapes with your imagination as a guide, and printed at a relative low cost.

I like and collect both patches and stickers.  I create designs all the time for both mediums, knowing that if I were independently wealthy I'd probably have them all made and would pass them out like candy.

If you're looking for ways to use your creative juices to make spiffy designs for fun (or profit) don't limit yourself to one medium.  Let's not forget things like t-shirts and challenge coins as well.  The designs you make don't have to be just for uniform wear.

GroundHawg

On this point, does anyone have a good example of both a squadron patch approval submission letter to wing, as well as the wing letter of approval? Post here, PM, or email, anything would be better that what I have which is nothing.
I was working on this issue while still in KY Wing before my PCS, and would like to finish what I started for them.

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on December 20, 2013, 01:23:19 AM
"right" is "right", and in this case we have a lot of people doing things even despite being told
what the proper form is.  How many conversations have we had where we've advised a
unit to use a disc and the "designer" simply says "meh, I like this better?"

Well, there is no "proper form" yet for CAP patches unless a particular Wing has instituted rules of their own.  Many folks, including me, have pointed out what the AF standards are, but no one is under any obligation to follow those. 

GroundHawg

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 22, 2013, 02:39:58 PM
On this point, does anyone have a good example of both a squadron patch approval submission letter to wing, as well as the wing letter of approval? Post here, PM, or email, anything would be better that what I have which is nothing.
I was working on this issue while still in KY Wing before my PCS, and would like to finish what I started for them.

No one has anything on this? I'm a little shocked, I figured the gurus on here would have multiple examples from different wings.

PHall

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 26, 2013, 02:51:36 AM

No one has anything on this? I'm a little shocked, I figured the gurus on here would have multiple examples from different wings.

How hard is it to write a simple letter to your Wing Commander asking them to approve the patch design that is attached?
It's not Rocket Science!

MisterCD

My recommendation is to prepare a letter with an image of the designed insignia in question, along with a heraldic description, description of the significance of design features, name(s) of the designer(s), and the date (month and year) of the design creation. Pass this up your chain to INCLUDE THE HISTORIAN to help the commander. There are in short no CAP rules as to insignia design (not until this coming year) but the historian should be able to spot copyright issues, undesirable elements, etc. As a wing historian, I was tasked to handle heraldry and helped a number of units have insignia created and approved swiftly and without delay. Same can apply to other wings.

GroundHawg

Quote from: PHall on December 26, 2013, 03:26:40 AM

How hard is it to write a simple letter to your Wing Commander asking them to approve the patch design that is attached?
It's not Rocket Science!

That's not what I'm asking for. I'm asking if any wings or regions had/have forms specifically set up for patch approval and examples of wing approval letters based on the patches submitted. Anyone with word can write a basic request letter, I'm hoping there is more out there than that.
With the upcoming regulations that will be placed upon squadron patches by the new Heraldry department, I was looking to get some type of general form set up prior to this happening so squadrons that have current squadron patches and have lost or otherwise do not have the approval letter from wing can get them grandfathered in under the wire.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I remember some time ago all kinds of "bogus" CAP patches were turning up on Evilbay...mostly lo-viz, trying-to-look-tactical-when-we-are-not types of things.

I may have even seen a lo-viz version of the command shield we wear on flight suits, jackets, etc., but I am not sure on that one.

Something tells me they were knockoffs made in the Philippines, but again I do not remember specifics.

Obviously they were things we would never have been officially permitted to wear.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

They were and still are - really hacks me off because a couple of insignia I designed showed up
with this Alpha-H and filing complaints with eBays results in zero.

All part of the "great game", but still very annoying.

"That Others May Zoom"

MisterCD

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 26, 2013, 02:53:59 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 26, 2013, 03:26:40 AM

It's not Rocket Science!

That's not what I'm asking for. I'm asking if any wings or regions had/have forms specifically set up for patch approval and examples of wing approval letters based on the patches submitted. Anyone with word can write a basic request letter, I'm hoping there is more out there than that.
With the upcoming regulations that will be placed upon squadron patches by the new Heraldry department, I was looking to get some type of general form set up prior to this happening so squadrons that have current squadron patches and have lost or otherwise do not have the approval letter from wing can get them grandfathered in under the wire.

This is the draft...and I emphasis draft, i.e., you don't have to necessarily follow this, for the submission requirements that will be put in place in 2014.

Processing heraldry requests.

a.   Organization commanders submit requests by e-mail through CAP history channels (wing/region/NHQ historian) for Wing Commander final approval of heraldry actions involving emblems, mottoes, revised significance statements, or flag drawings.
i.   A request for an emblem or to modify an approved emblem must include the following:
1.)   A letter signed by the organization commander explaining (or justifying) the requested action(s), including what is to appear in the scroll(s). Also include an attachment to the letter explaining the symbolism of the new emblem. (See sample at Attachment 2 or at http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/Heraldry.aspx?HeraldryId=10880&CategoryId=6192&grp=1&menu=Uniformed%20Services&from=search ).   
2.)   For a new organization, or an organization activating again, a copy of the special order activating it. Contact Wing/HO or equivalent history office for assistance if needed.
3.)   A color representation of the design proposal in .jpg or other suitable electronic format rendered in accordance with standard CAP Heraldry (see above). The scroll(s) need not be filled in. In lieu of submitting a design proposal, the organization may instead request NHQ Heraldry design assistance in the development of sketch options for the commander's review and acceptance based on mission and functional statements (to be included with the request letter).
4.)   A statement of significance of the elements and colors in the design proposal.
5.)   The unit correspondence forwarding the proposal must name a point of contact(name, phone number, e-mail address and fax number) authorized to approve minor changes during emblem processing.

b.   Wing or NHQ/HOs must review emblem requests for compliance with this pamphlet and endorse subordinate organizations' submissions, and indicate as such in a formal cover letter or e-mail for official submission to the appropriate Wing Commander.

c.   Emblem proposal packages should be devoid of extraneous materials (i.e., duplicate copies of the design proposal, internal command staff summary sheets, unit's lineage and honors history, etc.).

d.   When submitted by e-mail to Wing/NHQ HO, enter a clear title in the subject of the message, e.g., Emblem Request Package for XXXXXX Squadron.

e.    Organizations must receive the officially NHQ registered and Wing Commander approved emblem package before arranging acquisition of patches, signs, decals, award plaques, or other emblem facsimiles. Organizations should obtain patches only from certified vendors to ensure quality reproduction. Request of a patch prototype for review prior to large quantity reproduction is encouraged.
f.   Do not revise or replace an approved emblem that meets current standards (reorganizations, redesignations, changes in station, and other such changes, do not justify changing an approved emblem). The Wing Commander and NHQ may approve changes to an approved emblem under the following conditions:

i.   The emblem violates the standards defined in this document. A unit with an approved emblem that falls into this category may have the emblem modified to meet the current heraldic standards.
1)   To maintain the lineage and tradition of the organization, design elements and colors should be preserved as closely as possible to the previous emblem; no new design elements or colors should be introduced.

ii.   An organization that has had more than one emblem in the course of its history may return to its first emblem (i.e., its historical emblem).
1)   Return to the historical emblem must be endorsed by the Wing/HO and the Wing/CC (or vice commander).
2)   Do not change elements of the historical emblem except to comply with this pamphlet.
3)   Place the historical emblem within the parameters of a shield or disc as appropriate.

Eclipse

In reference to the last paragraph - a unit CC should have the right and authority to change the unit insignia any time he wants to.

Quote from: MisterCD on December 26, 2013, 04:59:17 PM
(reorganizations, redesignations, changes in station, and other such changes, do not justify changing an approved emblem)

Of course they do.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: GroundHawg on December 26, 2013, 02:53:59 PM

I had a Unit patch project in 2007. I was told as long as it did not have any copyrighted images, you can put in anything on it. Letterhead with short explaination and page 2 was the image of the purposed patch. Done deal. As of today, no Wing, as far as I know, has anything in writing regarding Unit patches.   

a2capt

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 26, 2013, 09:29:56 PM
I had a Unit patch project in 2007. I was told as long as it did not have any copyrighted images, you can put in anything on it. Letterhead with short explaination and page 2 was the image of the purposed patch. Done deal. As of today, no Wing, as far as I know, has anything in writing regarding Unit patches.

"Anything" as in an official process?

My wing has a 39-1 supp (currently a 404 for some reason) with the approved insignia and a Pamphlet on the approval process.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on December 26, 2013, 09:32:59 PM
"certified vendors"?

Yeah, that's an issue, especially in light of the quality of the insignia currently coming out of VG.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2013, 05:23:14 PM
In reference to the last paragraph - a unit CC should have the right and authority to change the unit insignia any time he wants to.

Quote from: MisterCD on December 26, 2013, 04:59:17 PM
(reorganizations, redesignations, changes in station, and other such changes, do not justify changing an approved emblem)

Of course they do.

Why?

The Unit CC believes a high percentage of female Veterans have breast cancer so they want to add "pink" to the Unit patch. How would like make sense? Or the new CC wants to change the patch because the previous CC changed the patch and the new CC wants to have the same patch when he was a Cadet.