Main Menu

Boots in Blues

Started by Airman De Ruiter, February 04, 2013, 01:00:53 AM

Airman De Ruiter

I've heard that you can only wear combat boots with the Blues when it is in inclement weather. I didn't see that in the note for boots in Blues, but I know the military has the disposition to sprinkle unrelated regulations in random parts of manuals so can anyone help me out with finding this reg?
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

Eclipse

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on February 04, 2013, 01:00:53 AM
I've heard that you can only wear combat boots with the Blues when it is in inclement weather.

You heard incorrect.

CAP Cadets and Senior Members may wear proper boots with blues at any time.

"That Others May Zoom"

sandite190

Your boots would have to be really shiny to wear them with blues.

abdsp51

Quote from: sandite190 on February 04, 2013, 01:26:59 AM
Your boots would have to be really shiny to wear them with blues.

No.  They would have to be in compliance with CAPM39-1. 

Eclipse

Where do these wive's tales come from?

"That Others May Zoom"

JayT

Quote from: Eclipse on February 04, 2013, 01:29:43 AM
Where do these wive's tales come from?

I had a buddy at Colorado Springs who told me they would sometimes have them wear unbloused shined combat boots with service dress during snow and such.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

a2capt

No more "really shiny" than the typical black footwear. That's not what the manual says.

"I heard" ..

Always. Just like Wal*Mart. Always..  RTFM.

It's your friend.

SarDragon

And for the new folks out there - RTFM=
Read
The
Furnished
Materials
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Airman De Ruiter

Yeah, I read it and didn't see anything like that in it, but he was an Air Force Honor Guardsman and sel proclaimed uniform expert so it made me think that I had missed something.

LGM30GMCC

Self proclaimed uniform experts rarely have as much expertise as they espouse having.

a2capt

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on February 04, 2013, 02:36:26 AMYeah, I read it and didn't see anything like that in it, but he was an Air Force Honor Guardsman and sel proclaimed uniform expert so it made me think that I had missed something.
Who, him, or you? Got a mirror?

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on February 04, 2013, 02:10:50 AM
And for the new folks out there - RTFM=
Read
The
Furnished
Materials
That's not the "F" I've heard.  ;D

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on February 04, 2013, 02:36:26 AM
Yeah, I read it and didn't see anything like that in it, but he was an Air Force Honor Guardsman and sel proclaimed uniform expert so it made me think that I had missed something.
Generally, I've found many of them are not worth listening to. Pay attention to how things are said to. There's a big difference between "Back when I was Honor Guard..." and "According  to chapter such-and-such of uniform manual so-and-so." Pay attention to the difference.

Abby.L

This reminds me of a class that I just gave to the basics at my squadron. The fact that the answer to your question is in black and white(No shades of grey, unlike much of the manual) should be enough. Though, my flight sergeant then proceeded to tell me off because it doesn't look right or whatever, and the popular vote would prefer oxfords.

Well you know what? RTFM, and this ain't no popularity contest. If you want to wear combat boots, then by all means, go for it.
[/Rant]

Okay, I think I'm good now. But seriously, yes. Combat boots are fine. I wear them sometimes in colder/snowy weather, in addition to the dress boots that I'd often wear anyway.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Airman De Ruiter

That's what I was going to tell him(in a modified-for-respect way), but he said that it wouldn't be where I was reading, he said that somewhere in one of the first chapter it says "boots are authorized for dress uniforms in inclement weather ONLY". And given his rank/position/experience I jut rolled with it and kept my doubts to myself.

Sapper168

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on February 04, 2013, 03:40:27 AM
That's what I was going to tell him(in a modified-for-respect way), but he said that it wouldn't be where I was reading, he said that somewhere in one of the first chapter it says "boots are authorized for dress uniforms in inclement weather ONLY". And given his rank/position/experience I jut rolled with it and kept my doubts to myself.

Wait..... your friend who is an AIR FORCE Honor guard told you where it should be in the CAP Manual 39-1?   ???

My advice to you would be to take a time out with uniform inquiries.  It is obvious that you haven't actually cracked open the Civil Air Patrol manual 39-1.  I was able to find the answers in less than a minute without having to hunt for it.  Your next course of action should be to wait until you are actually a member of CAP and then send any more uniform inquiries you may have up your chain of command.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

Airman De Ruiter

No, he's a senior member.

If he was just a friend, I would just pulled out the PDF Of 39-1 that's on my phone and asked him to show me where it said that.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Table 2-1

Item                | New Service Dress | Old Service Dress | Long Sleeve Shirt | Short Sleeve Shirt | Mess Dress | Semiformal
(Combat Boots)   |              X            |              X           |             X           |              X            |                  |

Wear Instructions/Materials
Black, with or without safety toe; must have a plain rounded toe or rounded capped toe with or without perforated seam; zipper or elastic inserts are optional; no designs. Highly polished, high gloss, or patent leather.

Abby.L

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 04, 2013, 04:30:22 AM
Quote from: CAPM 39-1, Table 2-1

Item                | New Service Dress | Old Service Dress | Long Sleeve Shirt | Short Sleeve Shirt | Mess Dress | Semiformal
(Combat Boots)   |              X            |              X           |             X           |              X            |                  |

Wear Instructions/Materials
Black, with or without safety toe; must have a plain rounded toe or rounded capped toe with or without perforated seam; zipper or elastic inserts are optional; no designs. Highly polished, high gloss, or patent leather.

Straight from the horse mouth. Black and white. If this HG friend of yours persists on the subject, just tell him to RTFM(In nicer wording, preferably) and direct him to this section in particular.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Bobble

Quote from: Airman De Ruiter on February 04, 2013, 04:07:30 AM
No, he's a senior member.

If he was just a friend, I would just pulled out the PDF Of 39-1 that's on my phone and asked him to show me where it said that.

Bark Post less, Wag Read more.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

a2capt

So, a self proclaimed Uniform Na.. er, Know it All, takes the word of a someone "he knows" (that is obviously wrong), and barges into the unknown like a slobbery hungry mutt at the feeding trough, and tells everyone that ..

Nevermind.

I just wanted to make sure I got that straight. I think I have. I'm sure there will be no arguments. Well, maybe one. But I *expect* -that- one.

The last uniform argument I had with PDF's of 39-1 right in front of me.. turned out the other party was actually basing their argument off of the 1997 publication.   Reality really stung hard there. Nuptial flight and all.