Main Menu

Boots in Blues

Started by Airman De Ruiter, February 04, 2013, 01:00:53 AM

bosshawk

Although I only read CT randomly, I note that a lot of you folks are extending this argument about uniforms with some kid who isn't even a member.  I suggest, that to get rid of him, you ignore his postings(even though they ruffle your feathers).  Doing that, he will soon get tired of seeing his posts ignored and go away.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Майор Хаткевич

But this is fun! Positive attitude is everything.

Eclipse

Quote from: bosshawk on February 04, 2013, 06:36:53 PM
Although I only read CT randomly, I note that a lot of you folks are extending this argument about uniforms with some kid who isn't even a member.  I suggest, that to get rid of him, you ignore his postings(even though they ruffle your feathers).  Doing that, he will soon get tired of seeing his posts ignored and go away.

The problem with that course is that CAPTalk is a pretty significant part of the Zeitgeist of CAP, thanks muchly to the good folks at Google.

In a lot of cases, CT is the first, or in the top 5 of searches on a given topic, so messages here tend to get quoted, and allowing for the
average attention span of two sentences these days, sometimes are quoted even when wrong.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 04, 2013, 06:57:28 PM
In a lot of cases, CT is the first, or in the top 5 of searches on a given topic, so messages here tend to get quoted, and allowing for the average attention span of two sentences these days, sometimes are quoted even when wrong.

I resemble that!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
Wing Dude, National Bubba
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Dracosbane

You've received good info here, that boots are authorized with blues.

I don't make it a requirement for my cadets to wear oxfords or cor-fams or dress shoes over boots, but I do make it a suggestion that once they become officers, it does look nicer to actually wear shoes instead of boots, and it sets a good example.  If we're at a regular unit meeting, it doesn't matter what shoes they have on their feet, so long as it is a part of the uniform.  If we're out doing a public function, they'd all better be wearing the same type of shoes, either all boots or all dress shoes. 

I am, however, a stickler for shine, with one caveat:  boots in the field.

Cap'n

Quote from: JayT on February 04, 2013, 01:32:08 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 04, 2013, 01:29:43 AM
Where do these wive's tales come from?

I had a buddy at Colorado Springs who told me they would sometimes have them wear unbloused shined combat boots with service dress during snow and such.

I'm in Colorado Springs, so I can imagine having to wear boots when it snows badly enough. However, I've never seen anyone in my squadron do it before. Might not be the worst idea, with some of the snowstorms we get.

Майор Хаткевич

Today to get to our squadron storage I had to step into some 6 inches of snow or so in my dress shoes...my feet got wet and cold pretty quickly.

SarDragon

Quote from: usafaux2004 on February 06, 2013, 07:18:27 AM
Today to get to our squadron storage I had to step into some 6 inches of snow or so in my dress shoes...my feet got wet and cold pretty quickly.

Totes makes an excellent product that helps avoid such angst.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

J2H

Now... do you blouse them or straight leg it?  I straight legged it in active duty
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Майор Хаткевич

We're not PJs and are in CAP. Straight is the only way to go.

RogueLeader

Quote from: usafaux2004 on February 17, 2013, 09:35:10 PM
We're not PJs and are in CAP. Straight is the only way to go.
No, straight leg is tucked straight in the boots, its also known as peg-leg.

Quote from: J2H on February 17, 2013, 08:35:22 PM
Now... do you blouse them or straight leg it?

We don't do either.  Trousers are worn the same when wearing boots or shoes.

Quote from: J2H on February 17, 2013, 08:35:22 PM
I straight legged it in active duty

I bloused mine in the Army. 20th ENG BDE (C)(A).
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Майор Хаткевич

Learn something new every day!

Storm Chaser

While CAPR 39-1 is clear that combat boots are allowed with all service uniform combinations (and pants are worn the same way as with shoes as was stated by others on previous posts), I personally wouldn't recommend it under normal circumstances. I've been wearing blues for over 25 years in both CAP and USAF and can tell you, it just doesn't look good. If there are practical reasons to wear them, then do so knowing that you're within regs. Otherwise, stick to military-style shoes; they just look more professional IMHO.

I would also like to emphasize that if combat boots are worn with blues, then they must be "black" and "highly polished, high gloss, or patented leather." Also, combat boots are not allowed with mess dress or semiformal (cadets only) uniforms.

RogueLeader

While I may not match your years of experience, when properly worn, boots can look a lot better than low quarters.  My Cochran jump boots are nice, and I can wear them all day.  I can't say the same about my dress shoes.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Storm Chaser

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 18, 2013, 05:21:41 PM
While I may not match your years of experience, when properly worn, boots can look a lot better than low quarters.

I was careful to state that this was just my opinion; CAP obliviously feels that either shoes or combat boots are acceptable. That being said, other than combat airmen (pararescue, combat controllers, security forces, etc.), it is rare to see Air Force personnel wearing combat boots with service uniforms. There's a reason for that; service uniforms are the equivalent of civilian business attire. While dress boots are occasionally worn with civilian business attire, no one would wear utility boots with such attire. Shoes seems to be the preferred option for business and dress attire.

Hawk200

I wore plain black Ropers(which are legal, read the pub.) Most people didn't even know I was wearing boots. I have had a few people over the years that noted that they didn't have laces. Some people got their own and wore them, but most people noted it, and just moved on.