Basic Cadets in Service Jacket

Started by C/2d Lt, November 21, 2012, 03:24:36 AM

C/2d Lt

This could be a opinion question or a regulation and I am not sure so here it goes. The service jacket to my understanding is very formal, and thus used for color guard /honor guard and most officers/ senior NCO. However what I do not understand is cadet airmen who are not on color guard/ honor guard wear service jackets and cadet captains don't, and in the same picture? If the squadron had extra it would make sense that sonority would rule however most of the time this isn't the case. Service jackets look better on a officer anyway.

Getting to my question...

Is there regulation that says you have to have a specific reason to have a service jacket and not just give them out to cadets that have no reason to have them?

(I do not mean formal conferences where a service jacket would be appropriate.)
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

Kansas Wing Winter Encampment ES Flight-2012       *GTM3, MRO, UDF, FLM, MSA
New York Wing Encampment-
              2012- Golf Flight Inflight
              2013- Charlie Flight Commander- Honor Flight for the Encampment
              2014- Squadron 2 Commander

SJFedor

Read 39-1. Do you see anything in there that states you must be a C/XX before you can wear the service jacket?

I'll save you some time, no, it's not in there.

The commander should set the UOD (service dress, S/S blues, etc) and it should be followed. The whole "only staff gets to wear jackets" is kinda ridiculous as well.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

arajca

In a word, no.

Some units have established OI's/policies that only certain cadets can wear them at the unit. Those OI's do not apply to activities outside the unit.

C/2d Lt

Outside the units I would understand wearing them however inside the units they should be for the most experienced cadets, yes most of the time that is staff.

Distinguishing staff by the service jacket is farfetched because there are much better ways to distinguish staff, however I believe it looks ridiculous when an inflight has a service jacket and the some cadets on staff do not.
C/1st Lt Neuman                                                 Cadet Executive Officer    NER-NY- 135                                    

SJFedor

Quote from: C/MSgt on November 21, 2012, 03:36:36 AM
Outside the units I would understand wearing them however inside the units they should be for the most experienced cadets, yes most of the time that is staff.

Distinguishing staff by the service jacket is farfetched because there are much better ways to distinguish staff, however I believe it looks ridiculous when an inflight has a service jacket and the some cadets on staff do not.

I agree, which goes back to the commander setting the UOD. If that particular cadet does not have a specific reason for needing to wear it (promotion board, etc) then said cadet should be following the prescribed UOD.

WIWAC, we had shoulder cords (white/blue) for wear at the unit for those on staff.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations

C/2d Lt

I am going to put it out there that I know nothing of the shoulder cords besides color guard, honor guard, and CAC but can you really make up any color cord you want at the squadron just for staff. I get the idea but adds a lot of verity within CAP. At out squadron, 60 cadets and all I know every single one of my staff, aren't they distinguishable enough.

Again not trying to disrespect anyone just trying to get information. 

SARDOC

In my unit, it's whoever buys their own or we just happen to have one that fits you.

C/2d Lt

Is it really any color you want or or is it a constant wing thing? Does it have to be approved?

arajca

Quote from: C/MSgt on November 21, 2012, 03:45:34 AM
I am going to put it out there that I know nothing of the shoulder cords besides color guard, honor guard, and CAC but can you really make up any color cord you want at the squadron just for staff. I get the idea but adds a lot of verity variety (sp) within CAP. At out squadron, 60 cadets and all I know every single one of my staff, aren't they distinguishable enough.

Again not trying to disrespect anyone just trying to get information.
Not quite. Only the wing commander can approve shoulder cords not specified in CAPM 39-1. Your commander can request a staff cord in whatever color or color combination he wants as long as it is not already assigned in the manual.

SJFedor

Quote from: C/MSgt on November 21, 2012, 03:49:22 AM
Is it really any color you want or or is it a constant wing thing? Does it have to be approved?

CAPM 39-1, table 1-3, line 3:
QuoteThe wing/region commander has authority to approve the following items for
wear within his/her wing: (a) Shoulder cords. Not more than one shoulder
cord will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (see
Figure 5-2). Color to be determined by the wing commander, EXCEPT all
primary members of Cadet Advisory Councils will wear gold at the National
level, blue at region level, and red at wing level. (See CAPR 52-16, CAP
Cadet Program Management.) National Cadet Competition teams will wear
white shoulder cords. Honor Guardsmen will wear silver shoulder cords; (b)
scarves; (c) white gloves; (d) white and black belts; (e) helmet liners. Color to
be determined by wing commander except that helmet liners authorized for
wear by members participating in emergency services missions will be white
and will be worn with the decal depicted in Figure 6-20.

CAPM 39-1, Chapter 5, para 5:
Quote5-5. Shoulder Cords. Shoulder cords may be worn by cadets only to denote special honor positions or
may be authorized by the wing commander for special purpose activities (see Table 1-4). Not more than
one shoulder cord will be worn at one time, and it will be worn on the left shoulder (Figure 5-2).
Shoulder cords may be worn by cadets at all times. Shoulder cords will be worn along the shoulder
seam and fastened from the underneath, inside the shirt.

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/m391_e6f33eaaec28a.pdf

Go there, hit Ctrl+F, and type for whatever you're looking for. All your answers you seek are in black and white.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

abdsp51

I personally think the whole thing of only officers/ncos or staff only wearing service coats is kinda out there.  It can create that whole elitism thing that should be avoided at all costs. 

C/2d Lt

You could also use it as a goal. Become a Senior NCO officer and you can be on staff and wear service jacket. Good for motivation.

C/2d Lt

Yes the elitism should be avoided however basic cadets shouldn't be taking to CC anyway. Who doesn't want to be like the CC, they are awesome, make that a goal. Say one day Im going to be the Cadet Commander. At least at our squadron which is really big but still it isn't a social time and the officers and senior NCO have earned the right to wear the service jacket. (There is a reason they are one staff)

tsrup

Quote from: C/MSgt on November 21, 2012, 04:29:10 AM
Yes the elitism should be avoided however basic cadets shouldn't be taking to CC anyway. Who doesn't want to be like the CC, they are awesome, make that a goal. Say one day Im going to be the Cadet Commander. At least at our squadron which is really big but still it isn't a social time and the officers and senior NCO have earned the right to wear the service jacket. (There is a reason they are one staff)

I don't think CC means what you think it does.

And there is a difference between professional separation and "I get to wear this because I'm cooler".

According to regulation there is no "right" earned that you speak of.  Cadet NCOs and Officers have only earned the right to wear the appropriate grade.  A Cadet Airman basic has just as much right as anyone else to wear a Service Coat.

The only reasonable stipulations I would see for only issuing service coats to NCOs and above would be a squadron with a small supply.  I could see them wanting to wait on issuing out an expensive item to a cadet until they've proven they're going to invest in the program more. 

But if a cadet at said squadron purchased their own I would see no reason to bar them from wearing it provided it fit and was worn properly.

Paramedic
hang-around.

C/2d Lt

I apologize for not being clearer. By no means did I mean to say that a cadet airman does not, within the regulations, have the right to wear it. I was speaking more of the idea of the squadron supplying giving cadets airman receive them before the NCO.  Which as mention, should not be done until supply fits supplement.

Addressing the "right" to wear it uniform. As I can see I chose my wording poorly. A more appropriate term would be that the NCO's have the experience for the next step to service jacket. There are some exceptions.

As to cadets purchasing there own I applaud for there dedication however would rather them not wear it to a weekly meeting where no one ells has it. This is only because there is no uniformity. We are so post to look alike.

As to a squadron have all cadets in service jackets, more power to you that is awesome :clap:. (Send extras our way ;)

abdsp51

Quote from: C/MSgt on November 21, 2012, 04:48:35 AM
I apologize for not being clearer. By no means did I mean to say that a cadet airman does not, within the regulations, have the right to wear it. I was speaking more of the idea of the squadron supplying giving cadets airman receive them before the NCO.  Which as mention, should not be done until supply fits supplement.

Addressing the "right" to wear it uniform. As I can see I chose my wording poorly. A more appropriate term would be that the NCO's have the experience for the next step to service jacket. There are some exceptions.

As to cadets purchasing there own I applaud for there dedication however would rather them not wear it to a weekly meeting where no one ells has it. This is only because there is no uniformity. We are so post to look alike.

As to a squadron have all cadets in service jackets, more power to you that is awesome. (Send extras our way:))

Good point, I just think to have a policy saying only staff or fill in blank can wear them is detrimental.

C/2d Lt

Yes that is understandable. They do look better, but as a member of the color guard, they can be a pain to wear.h ey are hot, itch, thick, and it has to be cleaned at the dry cleaners. But we do look awesome when presenting the colors.

SJFedor

Quote from: C/MSgt on November 21, 2012, 04:48:35 AM

Wasn't aware there was an experience requirement for uniforms (sans flight suits).

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver

C/2d Lt

There is no experience requirement for uniforms, however can we agree that most NCO more general knowledge on the uniform and how to wear it correctly. (Im not talking about 39-1, there are a few errors in it as well)

SARDOC

The only reason I would think to withhold issuing a service jacket based on rank would be because I would hate to issue a jacket to someone who doesn't progress in the program.  I find that cadets who reach the NCO level have a higher retention point and are more likely to return the jacket when they leave the program.   Just a fiscal issue if you unit supplies some of those items.