What uniform do most seniors wear at your squadron meetings?

Started by RiverAux, October 01, 2012, 03:39:09 AM

What uniform do most seniors wear to regular squadron meetings?

Air Force style uniform (BDU/flight suit/service dress)
CAP style uniform (Blue BDU/Blue flight suit/gray pant & white shirt combo
Civilian "golf shirt" "uniform" (gray pants/blue golf shirt)
Blazer

68w20

Quote from: Captain Morgan on October 08, 2012, 11:25:16 PM
Quote from: Captain Morgan on October 07, 2012, 03:58:37 PM

Every year on the evening before Legislative Day in Washington, there is an official briefing which involves CAP members all the way from Wing level up to and including the National Commander.  It is uniform optional, and many are in blue jeans.  It is one of the most important and most productive CAP functions I attend.  How can that be!!??  Maybe some of you should attend next year and admonish them citing 39-1!

I hope you all show up in March to straighten us out!

Please explain how wearing a uniform would inhibit your ability to do what you do.  I ask because I'm legitimately confused as to how it limits the actions which you've previously discussed, and because I don't feel that you've stated so clearly.

AngelWings

Quote from: 68w10 on October 09, 2012, 04:35:12 AM
Quote from: Captain Morgan on October 08, 2012, 11:25:16 PM
Quote from: Captain Morgan on October 07, 2012, 03:58:37 PM

Every year on the evening before Legislative Day in Washington, there is an official briefing which involves CAP members all the way from Wing level up to and including the National Commander.  It is uniform optional, and many are in blue jeans.  It is one of the most important and most productive CAP functions I attend.  How can that be!!??  Maybe some of you should attend next year and admonish them citing 39-1!

I hope you all show up in March to straighten us out!

Please explain how wearing a uniform would inhibit your ability to do what you do.  I ask because I'm legitimately confused as to how it limits the actions which you've previously discussed, and because I don't feel that you've stated so clearly.
I don't dos work in my uni-form. Iz rathur be in my jammies.

41839j

This is very simple and hardly worth six pages of distractions.

Being part of a composite squadron, seniors wear the uniform of the day.  One day a month is blues or white shirts when promotions take place.  That is typically the meeting I attend as it is when pilots have their mandatory safety meeting.

The other three weeks of the month are either BDUs or the blue polo shirts/gray slacks.  I don't normally go to those, but did last night and was actually in civies as I live 40 miles away and did not want to make an extra trip home to get a uniform I forgot that morning.  Nobody had a problem with that.

It is what it is, but hardly worth getting all bent out of shape over.

Eclipse

Quote from: 41839j on October 09, 2012, 03:04:51 PMI don't normally go to those, but did last night and was actually in civies as I live 40 miles away and did not want to make an extra trip home to get a uniform I forgot that morning.  Nobody had a problem with that.

There's a difference between the occasional "I forgot." and those who try to make the argument that wearing a uniform to meetings is somehow burdensome to their super-important, uber-valuable time.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2012, 03:10:25 PM
There's a difference between the occasional "I forgot." and those who try to make the argument that wearing a uniform to meetings is somehow burdensome to their super-important, uber-valuable time.

Quite so, especially when burning 40 miles worth of fuel is involved.

Just speaking for myself and maybe my squadron's attitude in general, the mindset would be "everyone forgets...have a seat and a cup."

For someone repeatedly not wearing a uniform simply because they don't feel like it, that would probably be an issue.

As well, my squadron is a composite squadron, but one with an aircraft (we give a lot of O-rides) and several pilots on the senior side.  I don't think I've ever seen any of our pilots not wear an authorised uniform.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Captain Morgan

I never said wearing a uniform would inhibit anyone's abilities or actions and I can't really explain to you why someone would think that ...
Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
AL3, AOBD, GTM3, IC3, IO, LO, MP, MSO
KY Wing Government Relations Officer
Blue Grass Senior Squadron ES Officer
Lexington, KY

68w20

Quote from: Captain Morgan on October 09, 2012, 10:02:23 PM
I never said wearing a uniform would inhibit anyone's abilities or actions and I can't really explain to you why someone would think that ...

Based on your posts, I got the impression that you are of the opinion that wearing uniforms or participating in meetings with a more strict military element would inhibit your Squadron's ability to do all those things that you listed previously. 

The reason that this attitude is so troubling to members of this forum (or at least to me) is because of the implied elitism demonstrated by your comments. 

There is no good reason to require uniforms for our regular Squadron meetings.

I expect my Cadets to show up properly groomed, wearing the proper uniform in the proper way.  Your members are not, because you don't think that there's a good reason to. 

Their time is precious, and we are thankful for any time they choose to donate to CAP. To suggest they change clothes in their car or a public restroom because they chose to squeeze a Squadron meeting into their busy schedule is absurd.

I expect my Cadets to read appropriate CAP publications, including the regs which state that uniforms are required at the vast majority of CAP functions.  Your members are not expected to abide by those regs, because your time is so much more valuable than mine or theirs. 

Many of these members would not function well in a Cadet or Composite Squadron for various reasons so, no, these hours would not be flown in this case.

I expect my Cadets to recognize that volunteer service is about giving something, not refusing to play by the rules because it's inconvenient.  Your members don't demonstrate this, because you bigger things to worry about. 

BSU Commander

I am now commanding my second Senior Squadron and in both; uniforms were/are mandatory wear during every meeting except the Christmas Party and Summer Cookout.  Why?; because the requirement is clearly indicated in our regulations!  I also mandate Yeager Award test completions because I feel that the extra AE knowledge is valuable (especially to new members) but that is a personal decision/belief.  The requirement to wear uniforms is NOT discretionary. 

"Captain Morgan," please don't be offended by the postings that have appeared here.  All but a very few of the comments are provided by dedicated CAP officers who hope to HELP writers as well as readers - not denigrate those who are unaware of existing regulations.  Like many, I got the impression that you were stating that your members were too important/busy to change into uniforms, when in fact, you believe that wearing uniforms to meetings is "optional."  That, Sir, is not the case therefore the posters were merely trying to help you understand that fact.  Although I've been an active member of CAP for 28 years, I never fail to learn something from those who post on this forum. We all benefit when correction recommendations are accepted with gratitude as well as grace.   

bflynn

Quote from: BSU Commander on October 10, 2012, 06:56:26 PM
The requirement to wear uniforms is NOT discretionary. 

So earlier this year when I skipped a safety standown meeting because I had to deal with an emergency at work and didn't have time to go home to change, I made the right choice?

RiverAux

No, you made the wrong choice in not putting a uniform in your car to take with you to the meeting. 

bflynn

Quote from: RiverAux on October 10, 2012, 11:20:06 PM
No, you made the wrong choice in not putting a uniform in your car to take with you to the meeting.

Not helpful and a bit snide.  This was an unexpected occurrence, I was supposed to have 3 hours before the meeting.  Why would I take a uniform with me?  Or should I expect someone to accidently do a "drop database" in production every day?

I'd like to ask the two time squadron commander which is the correct choice:

1) Attend safety stand down in civies
2) Go home, change and arrive an hour late (probably missing most of it).
3) Skip the meeting because I don't have the mandated uniform available.

SarDragon

Quote from: bflynn on October 11, 2012, 12:07:58 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on October 10, 2012, 11:20:06 PM

Not helpful and a bit snide.  This was an unexpected occurrence, I was supposed to have 3 hours before the meeting.  Why would I take a uniform with me?  Or should I expect someone to accidently do a "drop database" in production every day?

I'd like to ask the two time squadron commander which is the correct choice:

1) Attend safety stand down in civies
2) Go home, change and arrive an hour late (probably missing most of it).
3) Skip the meeting because I don't have the mandated uniform available.

I would choose #1 in almost every instance, with an explanation to the commander. Frequent "explanations" might draw some flak, though.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

RiverAux

There is a big difference between someone that shows up in civvies once in a blue moon and the folks that just don't want to wear uniforms at all. 

Captain Morgan

We had a Squadron meeting tonight.  There was a safety briefing.  We had brief reports from all the department heads.  We discussed the implications of the TFR for the VP debate.  We nailed down details and dates for upcoming meetings with the state police commissioner, the Commanding General of the KY Air National Guard, and a local ES agency.  We went over details of two O-Ride weekends coming up.  We developed a plan for the Squadron to fund our training for the rest of the year if Wing funds do not become available.  We went over the final statistics from the Counterdrug season that just ended.  We welcomed two new members and our Recruiting Officer fingerprinted them and helped them with their paperwork.  I stayed after the meeting to help a member enter his SQTR's in eServices.  It was a very full and productive meeting.  We did not have time to discuss the fact that only two people were wearing uniforms.
Don C. Morgan, Lt Col
AL3, AOBD, GTM3, IC3, IO, LO, MP, MSO
KY Wing Government Relations Officer
Blue Grass Senior Squadron ES Officer
Lexington, KY

RiverAux

Quote from: Captain Morgan on October 11, 2012, 02:44:07 AM
We welcomed two new members and our Recruiting Officer fingerprinted them and helped them with their paperwork. .... We did not have time to discuss the fact that only two people were wearing uniforms.
And the expectations have been set for the next generation of members of your squadron that they may pick and choose what CAP regulations they can follow. 

Eclipse

Why do people believe that being "busy" negates the most basic parts of our program?

We're all busy, we all get to talk to uber-important people, we all plan "ultra-awesome activities" and we seem to find the time to wear a uniform.

If you think it's too much trouble, whatever, you'll reap what you sow, but don't wear it like some kind of badge of honor because
you're much too busy to "bother", or your "ultra-too-awesome" ops tempo writes you a pass.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

We had a Squadron meeting tonight.  There was a safety briefing.  We had brief reports from all the department heads.  We discussed the implications of the TFR for the VP debate.  We nailed down details and dates for upcoming meetings with the state police commissioner, the Commanding General of the KY Air National Guard, and a local ES agency.  We went over details of two O-Ride weekends coming up.  We developed a plan for the Squadron to fund our training for the rest of the year if Wing funds do not become available.  We went over the final statistics from the Counterdrug season that just ended.  We welcomed two new members and our Recruiting Officer fingerprinted them and helped them with their paperwork.  I stayed after the meeting to help a member enter his SQTR's in eServices.  It was a very full and productive meeting.  We did not have time to discuss the fact that only two people were wearing uniforms.
^ My emphasis added.   

B.S.!   
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Critical AOA

What?!  You wasted your time on all those other activities when you could have debated uniforms instead?  You should be banned from CAP Talk.     >:D
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 11, 2012, 03:01:34 PM
What?!  You wasted your time on all those other activities when you could have debated uniforms instead?  You should be banned from CAP Talk.     >:D

You owe me a new monitor from spewing A&W Root Beer all over mine.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

VNY

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on October 11, 2012, 03:01:34 PM
We had a Squadron meeting tonight. We did not have time to discuss the fact that only two people were wearing uniforms.
I wonder why there is so much uniform debate among members who apparently don't wear them anyway.