Hurricane Isaac

Started by Eclipse, August 27, 2012, 10:37:52 PM

Eclipse

Same track as Katrina - will likely make landfill as a Cat-1 7 years to the day.
(The Waveland, MS city hall was just finished 4 months ago).
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

What's CAP doing?

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

The city of Waveland is about to find out of the contractor cut corners..

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on August 27, 2012, 10:37:52 PMWhat's CAP doing?

Hopefully staying the heck out of the way. 

Garibaldi

Well considering that after it smacks the you-know-what out of Louisiana, it's coming straight for Arkansas, my unit is going on alert Wednesday for possible deployment.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on August 28, 2012, 12:52:14 AM
The city of Waveland is about to find out of the contractor cut corners..

The Eastern eyewall is the "bad" side and it's aimed right at the same place - right where we were in
2005, and exactly the area which would have been the big story had the levees not let go.  There
was far more storm surge and wind destruction in MS then in LA.  They are talking about a 6-9 foot surge this time around (vs 25-30 for "The Big One").

It's pretty scary, and frankly, I can't understand why anyone would continue to build there.
A lot of the coast South of 10 is still empty land, but people have started to return.  They should
take the whole coast South of 10 and turn it into a coastal park, take down any of the permanent homes and only allow camping or other transient housing.

On the positive side, it looks like a big area of the drought-ravaged Midwest will get a good soaking
by the end of the week,

"That Others May Zoom"

denverpilot

Quote from: Eclipse on August 28, 2012, 01:26:28 AM
On the positive side, it looks like a big area of the drought-ravaged Midwest will get a good soaking
by the end of the week,

Don't these storms usually start turning hard to starboard (northeast) after coming into contact with land friction, work their way up the east coast and fizzle out somewhere north of Maine?

SarDragon

Some do, some don't. It depends on the size of the storm, what the jet stream is doing, and what the weather's doing in the path of the storm.

Camille  (1969)hit the Gulf Coast around Nawlins, went north to Tennessee, then headed due east, across Virginia, and out to sea. Missouri, Illinois and Indiana got wet, and Tennessee and Kentucky got 3-5" of rain.

Donna (1960) had the path you described.

Hugo (1989) dissipated well inland, and dissipated in Canada.

Andrew (1992) went well inland, turned around, and never made it back to the ocean.

Connie (1955) barely had any eastward component, making landfall in North Carolina, and ending up in Michigan.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

One in the 2003 era, or close there of, came into the Gulf coast and spewed inland effecting almost directly as far west as Phoenix, and an arc that spread across NM, TX, KS, OK, MO, NE, and moved into Canada.  Of course it wasn't the hurricane system anymore, but decent sized chunks of weather were all over the place for several days in that region. I remember it was circumnavigation central and overnight in Hutchinson, KS, it came down so hard and so much, I went back to the airport in the middle of the night to check on the plane and found it with the door blown open, slamming into the strut, and it had appeared to have lifted and flown on the cable it was attached to, as it and the next aircraft over were no longer sitting inside the "U" shaped PVC chocks that were around the wheels. That door was flush against the airframe when we left.  I can only imagine it lifted and dropped, and pressure popped the door.

Or the gnomes came with the universal Cessna key, opened it, locked it, pulled out the chocks and ran away into the night.

Was the clearest weather and sky across the midwest I ever remember. Nary a bit of haze that is so typical, even when it's windy.

Garibaldi

According to my unit CC ARWG has received its warning order in regards to TS Isaac. I haven't seen anything myself but I thought I'd pass it along to any concerned ARWG unit members who frequent CAPTALK.

Eclipse

NOAA has a site to show all the historical tracks on record: http://csc.noaa.gov/hurricanes/#

(Though the interface is a little wonky).

There was one in the recent few years that swung up through the Gulf and then caused serious flooding in the midwest.
(Can't put my finger on which one, though)

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Heh, 2003. Claudette. It stopped being tracked as a Tropical Depression just short of El Paso, but spit it's guts all over the midwest whilst I was transiting towards Kansas City with a couple of guys from Australia in a 172.

Yes, we had fun. :)

manfredvonrichthofen

Yes, ARWG is looking for personnel for Hurricane Isaac. I have gotten a couple of emails about it from local command.

Garibaldi

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 28, 2012, 08:30:26 PM
Yes, ARWG is looking for personnel for Hurricane Isaac. I have gotten a couple of emails about it from local command.

I'm sure I'll hear more about it tonight at our meeting.

Critical AOA

Well, hopefully all of the rain will be dumped in the Mississippi, Missouri and Ohio River valleys.  The ol' rivers need some replenishing. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 28, 2012, 09:16:53 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on August 28, 2012, 08:30:26 PM

I'm sure I'll hear more about it tonight at our meeting.
it's not actually a call up, it's wing wanting to know what squadrons have who as an asset ifwe are called. Hopefully though everything will go smoothly,  deployment or not.

jhsmith400

We need rain up here in Ohio, but in '69 Camille(sp?) flooded out my hometown in Holmes Co Ohio.

SarDragon

Quote from: jhsmith400 on August 29, 2012, 12:11:19 AM
We need rain up here in Ohio, but in '69 Camille(sp?) flooded out my hometown in Holmes Co Ohio.

Memphis got really wet, too. BTDT.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Looks like the current track puts the center of the storm right over northwest Arkansas by Friday evening and into Missouri by Saturday.

jimmydeanno

Right now, LAWG is on standby.  We've sent notification of available personnel and are waiting to hear word on any tasking.  Our role will most likely start Friday or Saturday, if there is a need.  We aren't expecting anything close to Katrina proportions, so I have my umbrella ready when the rain gets to us tomorrow.  I'm not even expecting to lose power.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

manfredvonrichthofen

The Ind is picking up quite a Nkrumah. Were supposed to start getting rain at about 1500.