Growing hair to donate

Started by cadetesman, July 08, 2012, 04:40:51 PM

cadetesman

As you know, I'm a cadet. And of course, male cadets have to have military style haircuts.

However, I have been blessed with having extremely thick jet black hair, and I have been thinking of growing it out to donate to a group called locks of love which donates hair to those with cancer.

Any way I could do this and be in CAP?

Thanks

Eclipse

Quote from: cadetesman on July 08, 2012, 04:40:51 PM

No.  Its an admirable idea, but not going to be workable for a male cadet.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Both of my daughters have done that.  :clap:

Great cause but not doable for a male Cadet.

AngelWings

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 08, 2012, 04:53:04 PM
Both of my daughters have done that.  :clap:

Great cause but not doable for a male Cadet.
The question is can you can keep under 1 and 1/4th of an inch in bulk (not length)? As others have said, not doable. 1 and 1/4th of an inch in bulk doesn't leave you the bare minimum to donate hair from what I've seen.

rustyjeeper

Quote from: cadetesman on July 08, 2012, 04:40:51 PM
As you know, I'm a cadet. And of course, male cadets have to have military style haircuts.

However, I have been blessed with having extremely thick jet black hair, and I have been thinking of growing it out to donate to a group called locks of love which donates hair to those with cancer.

Thanks

You could not wae the blues uniform or BDU and do it within regulation.
BUT
I have seen cadets with hair down to their A_ _ in the BBDU and there are no grooming standards for that uniform.
I would assume that a cadet could also wear the aviator combo for a dress uniform although I am not sure if the regs allow that or not (???)

I AM NOT ADVOCATING for long haired hippie-looking cadets; merely suggesting a way in which you might be able to accomplish what you are trying to do. I would approach my DCC and Cadet Commander and discuss the ideas with them BEFORE buying more uniforms!

spacecommand

Cadets, no matter which uniform they wear, must comply with grooming standards.

arajca

Quote from: spacecommand on July 08, 2012, 06:00:17 PM
Cadets, no matter which uniform they wear, must comply with grooming standards.

Correct. Reference CAPM 39-1 ICL, Para 2. l.
Quotel. All cadet members must meet the grooming standards prescribed for AF-style uniforms in Attachment 2 of CAPM 39-1 whenever wearing a CAP uniform, including CAP Distinctive
Uniforms as well as USAF-style uniforms. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the National Commander as necessary to comply with the law.

AngelWings

If it really matters to you, I suggest you ask for a waiver on wearing the uniform for this nobel cause. I reread your question and yes, you can be in CAP with long hair, as long as you get a waiver on wearing you uniform to CAP.

PA Guy

See above.  Yes, you can get a waiver but it can only be issued by the National Commander, local commanders don't have the authority to issue a waiver  for that.  Suggest you look for another project or take an extended leave of absence. 

a2capt

If you're going on a vacation this Summer, let it grow prior to, and if you've got enough lead time, you can grow it right to where it nearly wouldn't pass muster, and keep it going the whole time you're out and if you come back to a PT night you could stretch it for another week. Then you might get several weeks in .. and make the length needed to donate.

That's just one scenario.

spacecommand

Quote from: AngelWings on July 08, 2012, 07:08:44 PM
If it really matters to you, I suggest you ask for a waiver on wearing the uniform for this nobel cause. I reread your question and yes, you can be in CAP with long hair, as long as you get a waiver on wearing you uniform to CAP.

From how I read it, a noble cause might not be enough for a waiver.  It doesn't simply say "at the discretion of the National Commander", the ICL reads:

QuoteExceptions may be made at the discretion of the National Commander as necessary to comply with the law.

I'm no lawyer, but I assume it's specific in this regard to cover CAP incase of any lawsuits pertaining to hairstyles/religious wear/style or any other unforeseen legal rulings etc that could potentially arise.   

ol'fido

I don't think it would be a short term thing either. As I understand it, "Locks of Love" needs a certain length for donations and it ain't short.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AngelWings

Quote from: spacecommand on July 08, 2012, 07:56:07 PM
Quote from: AngelWings on July 08, 2012, 07:08:44 PM

From how I read it, a noble cause might not be enough for a waiver.  It doesn't simply say "at the discretion of the National Commander", the ICL reads:

QuoteExceptions may be made at the discretion of the National Commander as necessary to comply with the law.

I'm no lawyer, but I assume it's specific in this regard to cover CAP incase of any lawsuits pertaining to hairstyles/religious wear/style or any other unforeseen legal rulings etc that could potentially arise.
Ahh, well that stinks. I don't see why in gods name you'd need the National Commander to approve a waiver to just not wear the uniform. What if someones leg is broken but still wants or needs to attend the meeting? Mneh, these regulations make me want to punch a pillow.

spacecommand

Nothing to my knowledge says you can't wear the uniform with a broken leg or arm.

a2capt

That .. isn't why someone wouldn't wear the uniform and need a waiver for it.

abdsp51

Quote from: Tank Commander on July 08, 2012, 05:47:10 PM
I have seen cadets with hair down to their A_ _ in the BBDU and there are no grooming standards for that uniform.
I would assume that a cadet could also wear the aviator combo for a dress uniform although I am not sure if the regs allow that or not (???)

I AM NOT ADVOCATING for long haired hippie-looking cadets; merely suggesting a way in which you might be able to accomplish what you are trying to do. I would approach my DCC and Cadet Commander and discuss the ideas with them BEFORE buying more uniforms!

As those are corporate uniforms the AF style uniform grooming standards do not apply, however they must be neatly groomed and present a positive image.  And the aviator shirt is not authorized for cadets per CAPM39-1 4-2. 

Noble cause yes if you choose to participate then wear the BBDU if authorized by local commander/s, or take a leave of absence. 

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 08, 2012, 08:55:17 PM
As those are corporate uniforms the AF style uniform grooming standards do not apply, however they must be neatly groomed and present a positive image.  And the aviator shirt is not authorized for cadets per CAPM39-1 4-2. 

Note he said cadets. Grooming applies for cadets regardless of uniform worn.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: spacecommand on July 08, 2012, 08:37:20 PM
Nothing to my knowledge says you can't wear the uniform with a broken leg or arm.
The cast can stop some parts, mainly pants, from fitting depending on the severity of the injury and the cast used. I only know this from hearing a parent talk to me about how her kid broke his leg and the cast and pants didn't really work together and hearing her trying to justify it even though it was fine with me.

Quote from: a2capt on July 08, 2012, 08:38:05 PM
That .. isn't why someone wouldn't wear the uniform and need a waiver for it.
All I am saying basically is I like the decent idea that someone wants to do this to help someone out he may never meet and I am trying to help the guy out.

RogueLeader

We understand that, and that it IS a noble goal. However, that is not allowable to male cadets. The regs just do not allow that to happen.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

caphornbuckle

I can see the headlines now:

CIVIL AIR PATROL HATES LOCKS OF LOVE

True or not, this is what could happen when we have nothing eventful going on in the world and the media wants to stir up trouble.

(Wanna really make the AF and BoG mad?  Just put a message about this in a reporter's ear and watch it fly!)  ;)

Seriously though...

If you are truly set on doing this, then I say go for it!  Talk with your unit commander on what you want to do and what your goals are.  Then let them decide if you should put your CAP service to the side for a couple of months or if you can still attend meetings out of uniform.  If you choose to take a few months off then do it. CAP will still be here when you get back!
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP