Growing hair to donate

Started by cadetesman, July 08, 2012, 04:40:51 PM

AngelWings

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 08, 2012, 09:51:14 PM
We understand that, and that it IS a noble goal. However, that is not allowable to male cadets. The regs just do not allow that to happen.
Which sucks that we have to leave him with two options that he is going to sacrifice something for. I\

Eclipse

Not every "noble idea" is a "good idea", or appropriate for everyone.

This should not be viewed as a huge deal.

"That Others May Zoom"

cadetesman

I just read that you can donate regular non long hair to help them offset the costs of turning long hair into wigs, so I think I'll do that! Problem solved!

Eclipse

Quote from: cadetesman on July 08, 2012, 10:12:07 PM
I just read that you can donate regular non long hair to help them offset the costs of turning long hair into wigs, so I think I'll do that! Problem solved!

What do they do with little nubby ends?

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Given the length of time necessary to grow your hair long enough to meet their requirements (it took my brother several months), you need to figure out which has a higher priority - Locks of Love, or your CAP participation. The two activities are what's called mutually exclusive - you pick one or the other, with no overlap. I'm sure you can get a leave of absence from CAP, so no one threatens the dreaded 2b.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

spacecommand

Quote from: AngelWings on July 08, 2012, 09:00:53 PM
Quote from: spacecommand on July 08, 2012, 08:37:20 PM
Nothing to my knowledge says you can't wear the uniform with a broken leg or arm.
The cast can stop some parts, mainly pants, from fitting depending on the severity of the injury and the cast used. I only know this from hearing a parent talk to me about how her kid broke his leg and the cast and pants didn't really work together and hearing her trying to justify it even though it was fine with me.

And none of that has anything to do with grooming standards.  The ICL pertains to grooming standards while wearing AF style and corporate style uniforms, not if a cadet has a broken leg or arm.

a2capt

I just had to look, it says short hair will be sold to help offset the costs.

Sold? For what? To whom? Interesting.. but they don't want loose stuff. (floor sweepings).
(nothing wrong with selling it, but I can't imagine what for .. if they don't want it for that intended use)
http://www.locksoflove.org/
Visions of the "glue factory" come to mind ...

Eclipse

Anything less than 10 inches long is sold, and based on some admittedly older articles, they are not universally loved.

I would certainly not encourage a cadet to take 6 months to a year off of CAP just to produce some hair that would likely get sold or even discarded.

If this cause is important to you, write them a check and call it even.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

My son is a cadet and was in a theater production that required him to grow a beard. He talked it over with the CC and was given permission to attend out of uniform until the play closed. He wore a suit on Blues night. It was only about a month.

Flying Pig

My wifes sister benefited from this organization.  However, if you have a CAP reg haircut, and it ultimately needs to be about 10 inches for them to use you are probably looking at about a year??

Dontate money to them.  Unless you want to put your CAP life on hold during that time.  I cant see you being exempt from wearing a uniform for a year to grow you hair out.   There are many things in life I would enjoy doing, but cant because of the constraints of the things I already do.

We had a Deputy who was allowed to grow a beard to play Jesus in a Christmas play.  So the Dept let him grow it out for about 3 months.  He looked terrible in uniform.  He actually got a lot of complaints from other cops and even citizens for his appearance. 

Pylon

Quote from: AngelWings on July 08, 2012, 10:06:22 PM
Which sucks that we have to leave him with two options that he is going to sacrifice something for. I\

This is life.  You will make choices in life.  Many options will be mutually exclusive.  You might as well prepare for that reality now.  If somebody has told you that you can have everything you want in life with no sacrifice, they lied to your face.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

AngelWings

Quote from: Pylon on July 09, 2012, 03:15:58 PM
Quote from: AngelWings on July 08, 2012, 10:06:22 PM

This is life.  You will make choices in life.  Many options will be mutually exclusive.  You might as well prepare for that reality now.  If somebody has told you that you can have everything you want in life with no sacrifice, they lied to your face.
I know that very well. I just like fighting for every inch and for every time I can make this not the case.

Eclipse

I've said it before, the "life is choice" lesson we teach our cadets might be one of the most important things they get from the
program, and for whatever reason, many cadets never hear this fact until they join CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

I am sure that there are other things that one can do for children with cancer besides donate hair.  I am sure they have other needs that are just as if not more important.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

lordmonar

While all of the knowlegable gentleman all have valid opinions.......NONE OF THEM COUNT!

If you really want to do this.  TALK TO YOUR COMMANDER.  If he supports you, then take it up the chain for some sort of waiver.
Either a hair waiver or a uniform waiver.....which ever.  I would suspect that this is going to have to all the way to the top....but that too is life.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 09, 2012, 06:03:51 PM
While all of the knowlegable gentleman all have valid opinions.......NONE OF THEM COUNT!

If you really want to do this.  TALK TO YOUR COMMANDER.  If he supports you, then take it up the chain for some sort of waiver.
Either a hair waiver or a uniform waiver.....which ever.  I would suspect that this is going to have to all the way to the top....but that too is life.

Seriously?  The national CC should be concerned with waiving grooming for a cadet for this? 

This is not a critical situation or even religious.  If a cadet wants to make the poor choice of stunting their CAP career for something like this, so
be it, but no one should be considering waivers for a hair donation charity.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on July 09, 2012, 05:46:05 PM
I am sure that there are other things that one can do for children with cancer besides donate hair.  I am sure they have other needs that are just as if not more important.

How about a unit trip to the children's oncology wing to play & read with the patients. Give the kids a break from their daily drudgery for a little while. The smiles will last longer than the visit.

Brad

Quote from: cadetesman on July 08, 2012, 04:40:51 PM
As you know, I'm a cadet. And of course, male cadets have to have military style haircuts.

Just felt I should clarify this, but male cadets do not need to have "military style haircuts" per 39-1, they just have to have their hair within the bounds of the grooming standards.

Will have:
Quotea tapered appearance on both sides
and back, both with and without
headgear. A tapered appearance is
one that when viewed from any
angle outlines the individual's hair
so that it conforms to the shape of
the head, curving inward to the
natural termination point. Block
cut permitted with tapered
appearance.

Will not:
be worn in an extreme or fad style
or in such a way that exceeds length
or bulk standards or violates safety
requirements. Will not touch the
ears and only closely cut or shaved
hair on the back of the neck may
touch the collar. Will not exceed 1
1/4 inches in bulk regardless of
length and not exceed 1/4 inch at the
natural termination point. Will not
contain or have any visible foreign
items attached to it.

CAPR 39-1 Table 1-2 Line 4

Also look at the image presented in CAPR 39-1 Attachment 2. Not exactly a "military-style" high-n-tight or a recruit cut, but well within the bounds of grooming guidelines. Much akin to the more "natural" cut that some officers choose to go with on the active side. 1 1/4" is bigger than you think.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 09, 2012, 06:39:04 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 09, 2012, 06:03:51 PM

Seriously?  The national CC should be concerned with waiving grooming for a cadet for this? 

This is not a critical situation or even religious.  If a cadet wants to make the poor choice of stunting their CAP career for something like this, so
be it, but no one should be considering waivers for a hair donation charity.
My point is that you nor I are in his chain of command.
All things are waiverable.   If the cadet feels strongly about this.....then he should pursue it and seek a waiver.  And yes....the National CC should be involved in this is, because I don't think any wing or regional commander will have the gonads to just say "hey that sounds pretty good...here's your hair waiver".   Just because YOU don't think it is a good cause does not mean others don't.

As they say YMMV...and your and my opinion don't count.  Go through your chain of command.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on July 09, 2012, 08:49:47 PM
My point is that you nor I are in his chain of command.
Does that really need to be said at the end of every thread?  If that's not a given, I don't know what else would be.
People come here to either get the specific reg, or a consensus opinion of those with experience.

Quote from: lordmonar on July 09, 2012, 08:49:47 PM
I don't think any wing or regional commander will have the gonads to just say "hey that sounds pretty good...here's your hair waiver".
No one but the Nat CC has the authority to grant one, regardless.

Of all the things that the Nat CC should be directing his attention to, this isn't one of them.  And where does it end? Because once granted,
every other cadet in that unit / CAP who doesn't feel like getting a haircut who hears about this through TwitSpace is going to use this as an excuse.

Further, what if 1/2-way through he decides "enough already"?  Any ramifications?  Because that's going to be a great way to play hippie for a while and
then be able to "catch up".

Pick the scenario and tell me how either is a "good idea".

1) Cadet gets a waiver and then spends 6 months to 1 year having to explain everywhere why he looks like he does.
1a) Cadet does the above and propagates the idea, to the detriment of uniformity and appearance throughout his unit / wing (or more).

2) Cadet takes 6 months to 1 year "off" and probably leaves CAP.

'Cause those are the only options.

"That Others May Zoom"