Army gives up ACUs...AF next?

Started by Stonewall, June 25, 2012, 03:02:10 PM

Major Carrales

How about no...

Slacks don't usually make good for going into mesquite and huisache brush lands.  Add that to the fact that I don't like or wear polo shirts, and I have a practical and person reason for rejecting the idea.

Fly in that all you want............
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NCRblues

Quote from: Nolan Teel on July 01, 2012, 09:25:20 PM
What about getting rid of the BDUs and going for something more relaxed... say... a polo shirt and maybe a pair of slacks...

No thanks. I like my AF style uniforms. After all, we are the AF Aux. and I would like to keep it that way. Plus my BDUs give a good example for the cadets to follow. Lead by example and lead from the front. I have never heard of "lead in comfy slacks and polo and let your troops iron and polish boots"
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Quote from: Nolan Teel on July 01, 2012, 09:25:20 PM
What about getting rid of the BDUs and going for something more relaxed... say... a polo shirt and maybe a pair of slacks...

Never happen, no one in their right mind would try to do missions dressed like that...

"That Others May Zoom"

Nolan Teel

But the polo shirts and slacks are awesome.... note sarcasm....

I mean... theres no way that members in CAP can screw up wearing that uniform....

see note above about sarcasm

abdsp51

Quote from: Major Carrales on July 01, 2012, 09:28:58 PM
How about no...

Slacks don't usually make good for going into mesquite and huisache brush lands.  Add that to the fact that I don't like or wear polo shirts, and I have a practical and person reason for rejecting the idea.

+1 I don't see kids in the cadet program wanting to ditch their BDUs or blues for a polo and slacks especially if they have to wear that for school. 

Nolan Teel

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 01, 2012, 09:31:38 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on July 01, 2012, 09:28:58 PM
How about no...

+1 I don't see kids in the cadet program wanting to ditch their BDUs or blues for a polo and slacks especially if they have to wear that for school.

+2

Nolan Teel

All joking aside.  We all know CAP has many different options for uniforms. Many members have different view points on when to wear what or what uniforms we should keep.

All I wish is that everyone would try 110% to wear them as properly as possible and not try to squeeze a 285 Frame into a medium AF Uniform.

Bullitt

Either way, an expense way to high for a volunteer organization. I never paid for the crappy things by the way. See one of the posts below for a cost break down.

Quote from: PHall on July 01, 2012, 01:38:39 PM
Quote from: Bullitt on June 27, 2012, 07:01:41 PM
Good for the Army! I am glad one of the branches has finally seen the light in that going "digital" has no function in the field whatsoever. I hope the Air Force follows suit as well. We in CAP have no need or use for the ABU other than to have the perceived "cool factor" of wearing what the AF wears. A set of ABU's can run close to $100 plus boots; a cost I feel is way to high for members.

I don't know where you priced ABU's at, but it's a lot less if you go to clothing sales on base.
Sounds like you got your prices from one of the internet places that overcharge for inferior quality crap.

Bullitt

As you know, CAP is a volunteer organization. I cant justify perspective and present members having to go out and purchase ABU's which can cost up to $100 plus boots just for the sake of looking like the AF. For those of us in colder climates, outerwear is also a big expense. I'm for a uniform that has function and cost effectiveness which the ABU doesn't in my opinion.

Quote from: AngelWings on June 27, 2012, 07:08:27 PM
Good for the Army! I am glad one of the branches has finally seen the light in that going "digital" has no function in the field whatsoever. I hope the Air Force follows suit as well. We in CAP have no need or use for the ABU other than to have the perceived "cool factor" of wearing what the AF wears. A set of ABU's can run close to $100 plus boots; a cost I feel is way to high for members.
Phase in period. And it is not about the cool factor, it is about the fact that the BDU's conceal us in our area of work whereas ABU's help us stick out while we get to keep our Air Force routes. If we wanted to look cool, we would all push to be the ABG-S special operations command style ABU's with the Massif ABS and the modified ABU pants, or multicam.

Bullitt

And lets not forget the added expense of jackets.

Quote from: Bullitt on July 03, 2012, 10:05:20 AM
Either way, an expense way to high for a volunteer organization. I never paid for the crappy things by the way. See one of the posts below for a cost break down.

Quote from: PHall on July 01, 2012, 01:38:39 PM

I don't know where you priced ABU's at, but it's a lot less if you go to clothing sales on base.
Sounds like you got your prices from one of the internet places that overcharge for inferior quality crap.

AngelWings

Quote from: Bullitt on July 03, 2012, 10:14:21 AM
As you know, CAP is a volunteer organization. I cant justify perspective and present members having to go out and purchase ABU's which can cost up to $100 plus boots just for the sake of looking like the AF. For those of us in colder climates, outerwear is also a big expense. I'm for a uniform that has function and cost effectiveness which the ABU doesn't in my opinion.

Quote from: AngelWings on June 27, 2012, 07:08:27 PM
Phase in period. And it is not about the cool factor, it is about the fact that the BDU's conceal us in our area of work whereas ABU's help us stick out while we get to keep our Air Force routes. If we wanted to look cool, we would all push to be the ABG-S special operations command style ABU's with the Massif ABS and the modified ABU pants, or multicam.
Many generations were presented with similar problems, and we all ended up looking like the AF anyways. Why is these such a distinct cry to get us away from the AF due to money? The uniforms will get cheaper in time, and if we ask to wear them, then we may very well be able to find a way of procuring them without spending too much money. If you don't ask, you don't find out.

a2capt

There's a modify post button, you can use it instead of posting three times.

The "$100" argument that keeps being thrown in all this is kinda funny, too. When the ACU's first showed up, and the whole "they are more expensive" thing came with it, I seem to recall the price difference at MCS/AAFES nearby being about $16 more, out the door for the three pieces. One vendor I just looked at was $39.95 per piece, shirt/pants. BDU.com is $59.95, of course, selling Propper. A broad search is showing me prices anywhere from $22.95 (eBay average), $28~ non-auction, and such.

As another thread states, if $16 is gonna bust you..

Looking at Vanguard right now, shirt and pants, $32 each, BDU.com .. $29 each, for ripstop.

Where's all this huge expense? It's practically negligible. Not everyone gets free uniforms from their supply, and even then, once we could start using whatever it is, that wouldn't be an issue either I'm sure. Several places I've been, I've already seen CAP units with stacks of ABU cast offs, of course, we can't use 'em, but if you start telling the Air Force units that, we don't get the BDUs that come in with them because they'll just give the whole thing to someone else.

abdsp51

Sir, how many of these finds are the proper spec for ABUs and not a cheap knock off?  Outside of donations the initial cost to outfit a member not including boots is over a hundred bucks.  Throw ik a good quality boot and it has now doubled and thats not including foul weather gear.  Now times that by however many members family may have and well thats a good chunk of change.

I personally would not mind a switch to ABUs but then again I have sets I can convert if we were to receive them. 

AngelWings

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 03, 2012, 02:52:02 PM
Sir, how many of these finds are the proper spec for ABUs and not a cheap knock off?  Outside of donations the initial cost to outfit a member not including boots is over a hundred bucks.  Throw ik a good quality boot and it has now doubled and thats not including foul weather gear.  Now times that by however many members family may have and well thats a good chunk of change.

I personally would not mind a switch to ABUs but then again I have sets I can convert if we were to receive them.
A search of evilBay comes up with only real military brands, like Propper and DSPC. I don't think they've made rip offs of ABU's just yet.

abdsp51

Quote from: AngelWings on July 03, 2012, 03:09:31 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on July 03, 2012, 02:52:02 PM

A search of evilBay comes up with only real military brands, like Propper and DSPC. I don't think they've made rip offs of ABU's just yet.

I can assure you they have. Since the ABU became official there were companies advertising a summer weight ABU when at the time none existed.  A lighter weight fire resistant one was introduced for select career fields ajd it was only this year that a lightweight rip stop became authorized.  And unless the seller is willing to provide proof its the real deal I would be wary of buying ABUs or any "official" uniform item from Ebay.

a2capt

I was citing "official" stuff, Propper and DSCP/issue finds, and my visuals have all been inside AAFES stores. I remember what I paid for BDU's from March ARB, and when I saw ABU's on sale side by side, the price difference wasn't that great, as I said. $16 bucks between two items. The cover was the same price.

The "cotton" stuff is knock off, as I cited, it was cheaper, but the other isn't. With the exception of BDU.com selling Propper branded items at MSRP of $59.95 each half, that's the most expensive I've ever seen it, and thats similar to buying the DSCP vs. Poly Wool variety of service dress shirt from the exchange, and the only option Vanguard has. You choose to pay more.

BuckeyeDEJ

Seems this whole discussion centers, when it all boils down, not to whether we want to get our hands on the ABU, but rather that we see uncertainty in our supply of the woodland BDU. Looks like we're going to be hashing this one out among the barracks lawyers for some time to come.

Apparently, it's a popular question with "Ask The National Commander" -- so much so, in fact, that Florida Wing's commander put out an e-mail today telling his members to can it on the ABU question, it's been asked so much.

Frankly, considering the boondoggle the Army's work uniform has become, and the notion that maybe we don't need service-specific camouflage patterns, it's easier and less stressful to just say "just go with it" and let it roll however it goes. If cadets can't get their hands on the authorized uniform, we'll then have a problem to address and CAP-USAF will handle it. Either way, we'll wind up with the DRMO hand-me-downs and like it, just as we have for decades.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

bosshawk

Just to throw some gasoline on the fire, saw on Military.Com today that the Army has decided to go to Multicam of some sort.  Got the impression that it hadn't been officially announced, but that the decision had been made.

Now watch the AF chase that one.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

abdsp51

Quote from: bosshawk on July 12, 2012, 05:59:38 AM
Just to throw some gasoline on the fire, saw on Military.Com today that the Army has decided to go to Multicam of some sort.  Got the impression that it hadn't been officially announced, but that the decision had been made.

No the ABU will be around for awhile. 

Garibaldi

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 12, 2012, 06:27:30 AM
Quote from: bosshawk on July 12, 2012, 05:59:38 AM

No the ABU will be around for awhile.

It better...because when/if we get them, I am completely ready to make the transition with no delay. Kinda strange that way.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things