Main Menu

Gear of Choice

Started by Silent Panther, March 26, 2012, 12:55:51 PM

Silent Panther

So I know that there are plenty of thread in the forum like this, but I thought I'd ask and get some fresh ideas. I'm getting together my gear for the 24 hr pack, and I noticed how many different "set-ups" there are. What gear do you prefer? A web-belt & canteen, or a backpack & hydration pack? What has worked for you and what hasn't?
Also known as
"OX", "Angel", "GrillBoy", & "Wheels"
There's a story and at least one NCSA behind every one.

FlyTiger77

I prefer a CamelBak or similar over a canteen. I haven't used a canteen in years.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Walkman

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 26, 2012, 02:34:28 PM
I prefer a CamelBak or similar over a canteen. I haven't used a canteen in years.

Agreed.

abdsp51

I carried both during the ftxs and rtcs i attended and even downrange.  Camelback was for me and thebcanteen was in case we went into MOPP I still had water or in the event someone else needed water or for first aid purposes.

resq1192

I use a combination.

I use this pack: http://thepackshack.com/shop/agora.cgi?product=Packs (see the fourth product down) with the additional hydration bladder sleeve.  On the waist belt there are areas for attachment of ALICE/MALICE-capable equipment, where I carry 2 GI canteens w/covers.  The 1/2 moon pockets w/velcro tabs also hold two nalgene water bottles too.  (Can you tell I get REALLY thirsty out in the weeds?)
From "The Searchers": "LET'S GO!"

Silent Panther

Quote from: resq1192 on April 12, 2012, 03:44:45 PM
I use a combination.

I use this pack: http://thepackshack.com/shop/agora.cgi?product=Packs (see the fourth product down) with the additional hydration bladder sleeve.  On the waist belt there are areas for attachment of ALICE/MALICE-capable equipment, where I carry 2 GI canteens w/covers.  The 1/2 moon pockets w/velcro tabs also hold two nalgene water bottles too.  (Can you tell I get REALLY thirsty out in the weeds?)

I usually drain my 2 liter hydration pack about every 2-3 hours, depending on how hot it is outside. That's probably the one downfall of living in the desert. Carrying several more bottles of water probably wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks for the input.
Also known as
"OX", "Angel", "GrillBoy", & "Wheels"
There's a story and at least one NCSA behind every one.

ol'fido

I am going to glom onto this thread. Does anyone know of a metal cup with a folding or detachable handle that will fit onto nalgene water bottles? What I am wanting is something that will work kind of like a canteen/canteen cup combo.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Noble Six

United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

ol'fido

Thanks. Is there a stove stand as well.

ThatOneGuy

I personally use a MOLLE 3 Day Assault Pack from Voodoo Tactical. Had it for about a year and has held up very well. It holds a bunch of gear which is always a good thing  >:D My only beef with it is, it is quite large and a bit heavy, both due to construction and what I put in the pack. It has space for a hydration bladder, which is great. However I recommend to carry a canteen too, because my hydration bladder burst once an hour into an exercise, and I was glad I had my canteens. If I could find a vest that was large enough and also met the requirement for the Class2 orange vests, I would probably go with one of those.

commando1

I dropped ~$30 on http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Air-Swiss-Tactical-Airsoft/dp/B0013CJLRW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335573406&sr=8-1
It fits my frame pretty well and has held up for about 2 years. I'm currently looking for a ~$50 tactical bag that will fit all my gear. I also use a hydration bladder and a canteen.

EDIT: Changed spelling  ;D
Non Timebo Mala

manfredvonrichthofen

To me canteens are a portable bathroom... I know I know... Camel backs can break... That is why I keep a couple bottles of water in my pack. I have a canteen, but it is for a bathroom on the ... Go.

But seriously, don't ever go out soley dependent on a camel back. And never use one for soda or koolaid.

CAP4117

Remind me to never accidentally switch canteens with you!  >:D

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 28, 2012, 01:29:27 AM
But seriously, don't ever go out soley dependent on a camel back. And never use one for soda or koolaid.
I fill my camelback with gatorade for when I know I am going to expend a lot of calories and electrolytes, and then with water to balance out everything. Plus, more bathroom breaks!  >:D

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Littleguy on April 28, 2012, 02:16:35 AM
I fill my camelback with gatorade for when I know I am going to expend a lot of calories and electrolytes, and then with water to balance out everything. Plus, more bathroom breaks!  >:D

Or Gatorade. The sugar will trash the bladder.

manfredvonrichthofen

The reason you don't want to add soda and koolaid is the same reason you don't want to add Gatorade. The sugars will eat at the glue holding it together, yes Gatorade has sugar.

And more bathroom breaks mean more use of the canteen...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 28, 2012, 02:31:38 AM

Tell me you at least mark it with red tape or something... :angel:

Besides, why use a canteen when there's plenty of trees to go around?

AngelWings

The reason you don't want to add soda and koolaid is the same reason you don't want to add Gatorade. The sugars will eat at the glue holding it together, yes Gatorade has sugar.

Didn't know that until now...

ol'fido

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 28, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Tell me you at least mark it with red tape or something... :angel:

Besides, why use a canteen when there's plenty of trees to go around?
Maybe he is saving it for medicinal uses such as jellyfish stings. I have actually heard anecdotal accounts of it being used for such. :o or he's somehow related to Howard Hughes >:D;D