National Board Streaming Video

Started by CAP_truth, March 02, 2012, 01:37:30 PM

CAP_truth

Did anyone see any information about a streaming video of today's national board meeting in Washington
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Eeyore

FW

Looks like it isn't going to happen.  Maybe for the summer board meeting...? ::)

a2capt

No stream, let the conspiracies begin.. what are they hiding now?!!? ;)

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: a2capt on March 02, 2012, 05:42:55 PM
No stream, let the conspiracies begin.. what are they hiding now?!!? ;)
obviously this
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

lordmonar

[darn] it!  ExtremeP!  You owe me a new key board!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: lordmonar on March 02, 2012, 05:51:51 PM
[darn] it!  ExtremeP!  You owe me a new key board!
I have like 50... >:D
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

James Shaw

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Ned

Sorry to be late to the party, but I went next door to check and they are not streaming the meeting to save costs.  I'm not an expert, but it sounds like the hotel was going to charge several grand for bandwidth and we saved another couple of thousand by not transporting the personnel and equipment.

The summer boards will be streamed.

Ned Lee

a2capt

Could save more by ditching the multi year contracts at the swanky digs and use a meeting hall at a base. They have 50 SDs at their disposal, surely some of them could come up with space and billeting. ;)

CAPSGT

a2capt - have you been to the DC metro area?  What you are talking about would be a logistical nightmare if it were even possible.
While there are lots and lots of DoD facilities around here, one of the key components to the winter board meeting is legislative day.  Legislative day involves several hundred members, which means that Metro is the only feasable method of transportation.  Of some major facilities around here:

Andrews does not have easy metro access
Bolling does not have easy metro access
The Pentagon does have easy metro access...do you really think they are going to host the CAP national board for several days?

On top of that, quarters are at a premium.  The large number of DoD facilities & offices around here have no lodging to begin with.  Ones that do still seem to have a large number of personnel living off-base.

So that basically leaves...a hotel as the best option for where to have the meetings.  I don't know if this particular hotel is necessarily the most cost effective one to have the meetings at, but it does have a lot going for it. 

I say good riddence to the web stream anyways...it seems like it failed more than it worked, so why waste the money on it.  If members really want to know what is going on, the meetings are (for the most part) open to the public, field reports could always be posted online, people could ask their board member, or even wait for the meeting minutes to be published.
MICHAEL A. CROCKETT, Lt Col, CAP
Assistant Communications Officer, Wicomico Composite Squadron

MSG Mac

I'm thinking of going down there tomorrow, especially if Vanguard is there to sell stuff.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: Ned on March 02, 2012, 06:40:38 PM
Sorry to be late to the party, but I went next door to check and they are not streaming the meeting to save costs.  I'm not an expert, but it sounds like the hotel was going to charge several grand for bandwidth and we saved another couple of thousand by not transporting the personnel and equipment.

Ned Lee

A decent camera and a Youtube account could solve the issue permanently.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mustang

I find it highly suspicious that the new CAP/CC's first board meeting is not webcast.

At the very least, the proceedings could be taped and posted on YouTube after the fact.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: a2capt on March 02, 2012, 07:04:54 PM
Could save more by ditching the multi year contracts at the swanky digs and use a meeting hall at a base. They have 50 SDs at their disposal, surely some of them could come up with space and billeting. ;)
How many bases have meeting halls that can support something like the National Boards (let's just talk summer for now)?  We'd need a large hall just for the board meeting, plus seating for spectators.  We'd need various other rooms for the other seminars going on during that time, I'd wager 10-20.  Then there is the logistical support for things as small as water for the participants.  Then there is the banquet, going to need someone to provide the food and service for that.  Members these days expect the meeting itself to be streamed (as evidenced by this very thread), so you need the backbone for that.  Now, with all this in mind, how many bases can provide this for their own conferences, let alone an org like CAP?

Billeting is another issue, CAP only gets Priority 2 Space-A privs (AFI 34-246 Table 2.1 Rule 34), most bases I've dealt with won't even talk to you unless it is about 3-7 days out when it comes to reserving a single room, let alone the nightmare they'd have to deal with when reserving a block of rooms, especially when I higher priority group comes in.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

SarDragon

I belong to an organization that has a similar, but larger annual conference (2000+). My local group is currently doing a proposal for the 2016 event. Yes, we have to plan them four years out. You can't usually plan out an event at a military base even 60 days ahead, these days. The CAWG encampment has had several relocations, postponements, or cancellations because of availability issues.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

While not applicable to National Events, most colleges have rooms and class space available during summers and seasonal breaks which could easily handle a Wing or Region Conference at a minimal cost.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RiverAux

The CAP national board is not a big meeting. Probably any town over 50K has multiple hotels with conference centers large enough for it. 

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on March 02, 2012, 10:46:06 PM
Quote from: Ned on March 02, 2012, 06:40:38 PM

Ned Lee

A decent camera and a Youtube account could solve the issue permanently.

It is being videod.  I will ask to have it made available.

Will Youtube allow Multi hour videos or do we need to break it up?

Nothing very exciting today in any event.  We did have a closed session this afternoon where Col Gloyd briefed about the huge challenges CAP USAF is facing with their drawdown.  He had no problem with any of the NB publicly repeating some or all of the discussion.  I would, but I was with the NCAC and missed most of the briefing.

But I'm sitting here with Gen Vasquez and he supports making the the video generally aválable.

a2capt

501(c)(3)'s shouldn't have any problem getting past the 15 minute limit. But in any case, for mortals, here's how to get the limit lifted off your account:

https://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1628029