National Board Streaming Video

Started by CAP_truth, March 02, 2012, 01:37:30 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: Ned on March 03, 2012, 12:48:00 AMWill Youtube allow Multi hour videos or do we need to break it up?

You should be able to with a verified account.  Otherwise something like Google Video or similar could host the file as well.
This might be a good time to explore a Youtube brand channel.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Is ustream a viable option for live streaming? I've viewed a couple of live shows, but the audience was usually no more than a thousand viewers or so.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

It is a shame that we are forced to save money in this way, but it is what it is. I am not reading into this any sort of conspiracy. ( I know, shocking right?)

Quote from: Ned on March 03, 2012, 12:48:00 AM

We did have a closed session this afternoon where Col Gloyd briefed about the huge challenges CAP USAF is facing with their drawdown.  He had no problem with any of the NB publicly repeating some or all of the discussion. 

Again, not saying anything conspiracy wise....but why even waste everyone's time going into "closed session" when it can be talked about and repeated? Kind of defeats the purpose of closed door things, and fuels the already smoldering fires of conspiracy nuts....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

SarDragon

The folks in a closed door session are on their honor not to repeat or discuss the goings on outside the meeting.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on March 03, 2012, 03:31:58 AM
The folks in a closed door session are on their honor not to repeat or discuss the goings on outside the meeting.
And a closed door session might not be to protect the briefing itself, but to allow the recipients to provide candid feedback about the contents thereof.

BuckeyeDEJ

Well, first, why would you go into a closed session? I'm sure the rules governing CAP's national board are different than the open-meeting laws that government bodies are supposed to abide by.

Not to be a barracks lawyer, but I'd assume that any discussion of a drawdown would include a discussion of manpower. Personnel issues generally demand a closed-door session. I'm sure someone else on this forum can speak to the CAP closed-session rules with more authority than I can.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

PHall

Because the stuff they discuss in closed sessions are stuff like pending lawsuits, personel matters and other stuff that needs to be kept private for one reason or another.

RiverAux

Quote from: Ned on March 03, 2012, 12:48:00 AM
[We did have a closed session this afternoon where Col Gloyd briefed about the huge challenges CAP USAF is facing with their drawdown. 
That does seem like a strange thing to save for the closed session. 

Ned

Well, the portion I did hear involved some inevitable changes that will have to be made.  They have identified what they believe to be the essential functions of the SDs and now need to figure out what we can transfer to the remaining folks at CAP USAF, what can be handled by volunteers, and what we can no longer do.

And it did involve discussions of processes that will lead to specific people that we all respect and care for losing their jobs.  It is impoftant to note that no names of specific. SD slots have been identified for reduction, but it is obviously an extremely sensitive personnel issue best taken up initially in closed session.

But the CAP USAF commander leans strongly towards openness and candor, so after the briefing and questions were concluded he indicated that NB members could discuss the issue with their folks.

davidsinn

Quote from: Ned on March 03, 2012, 05:41:33 AM
It is important to note that no names of specific. SD slots have been identified for reduction,

Really? That was not brought up? I know my SD is gone, as is his counterpart in Kentucky, Wisconsin and Michigan. That was announced publicly to the wing about a month back.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on March 03, 2012, 03:04:02 PM
It is important to note that no names of specific. SD slots have been identified for reduction,

Really? That was not brought up? I know my SD is gone, as is his counterpart in Kentucky, Wisconsin and Michigan. That was announced publicly to the wing about a month back.
Those were slots.....now comes the tricky issue of bodies.
SD X in State X may not want to retire yet....so the GS rules over seniority and such kick in.  So wile Slot X in State X is gone....the GS employee in slot X may move to Slot Y in State Y and that employee may find themselves out of a job.

Not saying this is going to happen.....but it may happen.  Hence the reason why they are being careful not to talk about names.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

davidsinn

Quote from: lordmonar on March 03, 2012, 03:09:21 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on March 03, 2012, 03:04:02 PM

Those were slots.....now comes the tricky issue of bodies.
SD X in State X may not want to retire yet....so the GS rules over seniority and such kick in.  So wile Slot X in State X is gone....the GS employee in slot X may move to Slot Y in State Y and that employee may find themselves out of a job.

Not saying this is going to happen.....but it may happen.  Hence the reason why they are being careful not to talk about names.

My SD is gone I do know that.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

RADIOMAN015

Comments in bold black below

Well, the portion I did hear involved some inevitable changes that will have to be made.  They have identified what they believe to be the essential functions of the SDs and now need to figure out what we can transfer to the remaining folks at CAP USAF, what can be handled by volunteers, and what we can no longer do.

For a volunteer in a volunteer organization there's a lot of administrative mumbo jumbo that the volunteer has to jump through that cost the volunteers their hard earned money -- that's an issue also.  To a certain extent there's a degree of distrust exhibited against the volunteers.   Each mission reimbursement (primarily I believe for aircraft fuel) claim having to be reviewed by the state director ??? :(  So how does The State Director making a personal annual visit to your unit with basically a checklist help your unit ???  :-\   Now's the time to look at streamlining EVERYTHING in this organization (which I would also assume will result in additional staff reductions at National HQ and even more utilization of computers and other telecommunications to reduce travel/support costs). 

And it did involve discussions of processes that will lead to specific people that we all respect and care for losing their jobs.  It is impoftant to note that no names of specific. SD slots have been identified for reduction, but it is obviously an extremely sensitive personnel issue best taken up initially in closed session.

I believe the people affected at the SD level have already been notified.  Of course the issue in any RIF is within their commute area, other federal and military agencies are also cutting personnel (example Hanscom AFB cut 357 civilian positions).  I would think that many will jump ship (and one couldn't blame them for doing this) if they get another federal job offer even before the end date of September 2012.   

But the CAP USAF commander leans strongly towards openness and candor, so after the briefing and questions were concluded he indicated that NB members could discuss the issue with their folks.

Well it's no secret that the DOD/ AF are going to have to make some very significant mandatory by law cuts and which at least right now also has a proposal to increase significantly the costs of medical care cost share for all the dedicated active duty family members & retirees and their family members, who have served (continue to serve) their country faithfully, with distinction, and very significant personal sacrifice. >:( :(  Somehow I personally can't get too excited about CAP getting cut.  HOWEVER, hopefully this won't increase the personal costs for volunteers giving their time & talent to the organization, since volunteers will also re evaluate  what they can reasonable spend on their efforts  :( :-\   
RM

badger bob

The reality is that many of the previous duties of state directors have changed over the years. CAP is better about manging CAP finances and federaly funded property. Improvements in WIMRS have made CAP-USAF and 1stAF oversight of CAP missions real time instead of a monthly report from a state director. The CAP-USAF budget for oversight was greater than the CAP budget for mission execution- so somthing had to give. Unfortunately there were many additional duties and contacts with state officials that will have to be picked up by voluteer staff in the future. Those personal contacts by a Air Force state director with a base commander on behalf of a wing will be lost as the positions move to a regional focus.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

BuckeyeDEJ

I can see CAP stepping into new AF support roles, if we play our cards right, as the drawdown ensues. This could be making the best of a bad situation.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.