Main Menu

Specialty Boots

Started by Noble Six, January 04, 2012, 03:47:57 PM

Noble Six

I am looking for the input of the operators and ground combat personnel out there regardless of branch.  All the ground pounders.   Who have worn the Rocky S2V & C4 Trainer boot  AND the Oakley SI Assault & All Weather SI Boot.

There are many reviews out there but none from individual who have used a pair of boots from both companies.  My questions are in your opinion which is more comfortable, breathable.  Are the sizes of the boots true, are they in cold weather (30 degrees F plus) how is the water proofing.  Did you experience any discomfort or pain (pronation or supination or tight shins ).  Could you feel the ground in a good way.  Shock absorption from high jumps, hiking with heavy packs, all out sprinting.  I do a lot of research before I buy a new piece of gear to make sure its the right fit for me.  So any input will be helpful. 
United States Marine Corps Retired
Earhart#13897

abdsp51

The Oakley is a good boot but expensive I did develop a small tear on them however the held up for nearly two years.  I am not impressed with the Rockies at all, the sizes were off for me but spot on with the Oakley.  IMHO the Oakley is the better boot between the two it has a sneaker feel to it and all in all very comfy. I will throw this out there do consider original SWAT, 5.11 or Magnum. 

shoresfinest

i personally have ad a great experience with altama's exo speed 2's

niferous

The Oakley boots are comfortable but will only last about a year if you wear them a lot. They have a bad problem with ripping and tearing, which was already mentioned. I haven't met anyone yet who has not had a pair, that they wear a whole lot, not rip.

The Rocky boots are cheaply made and I wouldn't trust my feet to them.

Although it isn't mentioned I know lots of people (including myself) who wear Corcorans every day and haven't worn out a pair yet. Just some re-soles and that's it. They are pricey but they are made in the USA and high quality. I also have had good luck with Altima boots but they required inserts to be as comfortable as the Corcorans. They did/do last as long though.
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

AngelWings

Oakley is an ok brand, and if you got them, you'd need a pair of matching shades and maybe a matching backpack  8) (I kid, I kid). I have seen a lot of people wear them. Personally, if you have the money to shell out for a new pair a year or two, then I'd say do it. Altama is also a great brand. From all of the reviews I have seen for them, they are extremely comfortable, they absorb shock really well, they are comfortable in the sandbox/A-stan, they are like sneakers (which I guess means they are good for sprinting), and they are lightweight, so no fatigue from them.

One word of great advice: STAY AWAY FROM ROCKY! They are probably the worst brand out there besides Rothco for footwear. The sizes are off, they are not too durable, and they barely meet any of the standards you'd expect out of a good boot.

A suggestion: If you want a great pair of winter boots, Belleville is an amazing brand. They feel like sneakers from day one, they look uniformed, and are extremely durable. If you want a great summer boot, go Nike SFB. I have yet to see anyone say they hate them. They have great reviews that surpass all of the boots previously mentioned. They were so popular that when the USAF phase-out of tans boots came, many members of the USAF bombarded Nike to request a sage green version. They come in black, and I want two pairs (and if we get ABU's, three so I have sage green), one tan and one black.

Eclipse

Simply stated, there's a reason most PD and FD departments wear Bates.

"That Others May Zoom"

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2012, 04:12:07 PM

Price >:D
and the fact that most cops and firemen would rather replace boots than have to shine them :o

I have had many pairs of Bates boots and they are good for 2-3 months then in the trash they go. They generally are quite reasonably priced and for the price of a pair of Matterhon's you can buy four pairs of Bates boots.

Spaceman3750

I recently bought a pair of Danners, and they seem to be doing pretty well.

AngelWings

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 16, 2012, 05:58:15 PM
I recently bought a pair of Danners, and they seem to be doing pretty well.
Danners are boss. They are just so expensive!!!

shoresfinest

personally i'll advocate altama's all day

niferous

Agreed. While some Bates are good the vast majority are cheaply made. I'd like to know where you got the data that "most" departments trust them.
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

rustyjeeper

Quote from: niferous on January 16, 2012, 09:38:12 PM

Agreed. While some Bates are good the vast majority are cheaply made. I'd like to know where you got the data that "most" departments trust them.

If you look at the Galls, Quartermaster, Us Cav and similar publications that Firefighters, LEO's and Security personell order from the Bates Boots are always on special ranging from as low as 39.00 to 79.00 for a basic pair of boots. At those price points they would be snapped up and be very commonly seen. I have seen a lot in use and understand the comment about their being prefferred, I also understand the reason why- "CASH IS KING"

Eclipse

Sorry, this simply doesn't sync with reality or my experience. 

Bates products are high-quality, comfortable, and perfect for the majority of CAP needs, mission or otherwise.

"That Others May Zoom"

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2012, 09:59:20 PM

Sorry, this simply doesn't sync with reality or my experience. 

Bates products are high-quality, comfortable, and perfect for the majority of CAP needs, mission or otherwise.

The Bates products would work for CAP. I never said they would'nt. In MY experience they dont hold up long term though. For the amount we use them (not 40 -60 hours a week) they should last a lot longer than they have lasted for me. I prefer Altima & Matterhorn for durability and comfort. It all comes down to what someone can afford and what they find to be comfortable.

Eclipse

Altama TAC boots look and cost about the same as Bates, I haven't worn the former so I can't compare.

I will say that I let Corcoran jump boots tear up my feet for several years during CAP activities because I thought they were Tacti-Kewler  then my Bates' which I wore for everything else, including riding, until I finally realized that CAP wasn't paying for blister pads, etc., and switched to a pair of side-zipped Bates' that were worn-in day 1.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2012, 10:34:12 PM
Altama TAC boots look and cost about the same as Bates, I haven't worn the former so I can't compare.

I will say that I let Corcoran jump boots tear up my feet for several years during CAP activities because I thought they were Tacti-Kewler  then my Bates' which I wore for everything else, including riding, until I finally realized that CAP wasn't paying for blister pads, etc., and switched to a pair of side-zipped Bates' that were worn-in day 1.

Interesting that you mention side-zips. When I was searching for new boots I had a hard time finding anything reasonably-priced that wasn't side zip - I also knew that the only side zips I had seen in use were ones that were broken. Have you had a positive experience with yours?

Eclipse

Very positive - I wouldn't wear anything else.

The Cororan's I wore (and still have) were side zips, and the Bates I wear today are as well - water and BBP- proof with Sympatex (flap in the zipper),
and the zipper let's you tie them and then tuck in the laces, etc.

Makes for easy on / off.  The only issue I have is that the body posture needed to put on the right one is awkward for me and my "spine of an 85 year old woman" (quoting my Dr.).  Normal humans should not have an issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

shoresfinest

http://militarygear.com/mens-magnum-8-spider-8-1-urban-sz

here try these they have the durability and they wear well, so i've heard. If you want the zip feature along with the performance as some bates and altamas 

Walkman

I must have lucked out. I bought my very first pair of combat boots for CAP 4.5 years ago online (clearance even) without ever trying them on. I got a pair of Rocky's. They fit awesome and have stood up great over the years, shine up well and I wear them everyday during the winter as my main boot. I love my Rockys. Maybe the quality has gone downhill in recent years?

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Walkman on January 20, 2012, 04:36:04 PM
I must have lucked out. I bought my very first pair of combat boots for CAP 4.5 years ago online (clearance even) without ever trying them on. I got a pair of Rocky's. They fit awesome and have stood up great over the years, shine up well and I wear them everyday during the winter as my main boot. I love my Rockys. Maybe the quality has gone downhill in recent years?

I tried on a pair of Rocky's when I was looking for new boots - to me they are cumbersome and ill-fitting, but I only wore them once for 5 minutes.