CSU sweater question

Started by spacecommand, September 21, 2011, 12:10:31 PM

spacecommand

This is just curiosity (since the CSU is being phased out in a few months), but in the most current ICL on the subject it says:

"The National Executive Committee recently approved a proposal to phase out the Corporate Service uniform, including the Corporate service coat, white aviator shirt and AF blue slacks combination, black windbreaker, black overcoat and black police-style sweaters. "

I was just curious, were "black police-style sweaters" authorized to be worn in the first place?  I don't see it appearing in any ICL's, only the windbreaker an black overcoat are mentioned in the ICLs.

The CyBorg is destroyed

The regulation on this is very vague (surprise!).

I have worn a Royal Canadian Navy issue sweater with the CSU and nobody has questioned it...most say it looks pretty good!

It's just a standard black V-neck with Velcro epaulettes.  I got it on the cheap on Evilbay for a fraction of what a new "police" sweater would cost.

In fact, I'm wondering if I get one equally-on-the-cheap of their AF blue sweaters, if it would be acceptable with the USAF-type uniform...the first one I bought at the BX years ago was actually made in Britain...the worst someone can do is say "no," I guess.

Someone at National needs to rule on whether or not the black outergarments can be worn with the G/W, and for cryin' out loud, find a replacement for the horrible Realtor-uniform (blazer) and a suitable headgear!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: CyBorg on September 21, 2011, 05:26:48 PM
Someone at National needs to rule on whether or not the black outergarments can be worn with the G/W, and for cryin' out loud, find a replacement for the horrible Realtor-uniform (blazer) and a suitable headgear!

I don't think the blazer is going away. I'd settle for suitable headgear and at least 1 uniform like outer-garment.

Eclipse

The only verbiage in this regard was that is may not be the Army sweater.  Beyond that, no specification was made.

Quote from: CyBorg on September 21, 2011, 05:26:48 PMSomeone at National needs to rule on whether or not the black outergarments can be worn with the G/W, and for cryin' out loud, find a replacement for the horrible Realtor-uniform (blazer) and a suitable headgear!

That would violate the prohibition regarding mixing military uniform parts and corporate combinations, however, once the CSU hits sundown,
I don't see any reason a PD sweater could not be worn with the G/W's, since the regs allow for any civilian outergarment to be worn (just no grade insignia). 

The Army / Navy jacket, sadly, will need to stay in the closet during CAP activities, which is unfortunate since it would look really sharp with the G/W's

How is it possible that even with a 2-year moratorium on changes, the last rev of 39-1 is dated 2005?

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I doubt the blazer is going away either, mostly because it's cheap - you can go down the local St. Vince, Salvation Army and Goodwill and get one dirt-cheap.

Eclipse: I hadn't forgot the prohibition WRT the black windbreaker/overcoat, but what about authorising grade for the "police-type" sweater, or an airline-type overcoat with the sew-on navy blue grade?

Honestly, I have seen any number of the "police" and airline-type black pullover sweaters, and the cut of them opposed to the Army sweater is almost indistinguishable.

Airline:

Police:

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

^ Works for me - the lack of appropriate, professional-looking outwear has been a flaw of the GW's since day one.

Probably the single biggest difference between a PD sweater and an Army sweater is the area for the leather name patch.  Buy one without that and
I don't see how anyone could make an argument.

"That Others May Zoom"

spacecommand

Maybe I missed it, but the ICLs in regard to the CSU were pretty specific about service jacket, lightweight jacket and overcoat, but no mention of a sweater other then the sweater is being phased out (I'm trying to find out where it was authorized to begin with).

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2008_01_25_CAPM_39_1_FC9519EC7AAB8.pdf  (covers the service jacket, light weight jacket)
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2008_04_01_uniforms_5479B9F312F3E.pdf  (covers the overcoat)

Cannot find anywhere that says a sweater can be worn with the CSU to begin with, in specific I cannot find mention of the "Black police-style sweater" other then it's being phased out.

On the mixing of military uniform parts with corporate parts (outside the CSU), the Air Force Cardigan for one reason or another is an authorized sweater for the G/W.  (CAPM39-1, page 75, note 8 ) and (CAPM39-1, page 84, table 4-3, Line 9)

Eclipse

It's another of those "approved but never published" situations, it's in the minutes somewhere.

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=10018.0  (Note: does not contain a citation, only a discussion)

"That Others May Zoom"