CSU "Tactical" Police sweater

Started by Eclipse, March 03, 2010, 09:33:59 PM

Eclipse

Does anyone have a reasonable definition / source for the black "not the Army" sweater that theoretically can be worn with the CSU?

Being winter and as the CSU has been extended for another year, I'm up for something reasonable and have been asked by several other members about this recently.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I suspect it's like the grey trousers - no one "approved" source.

I have a black V-neck Royal Canadian Navy issue sweater that I'm going to try with the grey epaulettes.  The worst someone can say is "don't wear that again."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on March 03, 2010, 10:20:33 PM
I suspect it's like the grey trousers - no one "approved" source.

I'd just like an idea what was discussed, or maybe a photo of someone wearing one to at least try to justify as substantiation.

I can think of about three different styles - shoulder patches, not shoulder patched, and name tag spot, etc., that could all fall into that category.

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundPounder73

I seem to remember reading a post or two as I dug through the archives about the USCG Wooly Pully....would that be acceptable?

MIKE

No, it's blue... it's the same item as the USAF/CAP Wooly Pully.
Mike Johnston

CAP Producer

I purchased the Navy sweater from Vanguard and all I had to do was remove the velcro for the name badge and I was good to go.

Wearing it since October 2009 and it looks pretty good, especially with the grey shoulder marks.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: CAP Producer on March 04, 2010, 02:41:33 AM
I purchased the Navy sweater from Vanguard and all I had to do was remove the velcro for the name badge and I was good to go.

Wearing it since October 2009 and it looks pretty good, especially with the grey shoulder marks.

One thing that was made clear in the notes from the board meeting was that it was not to be a military garment, thus the question.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

^ I noticed that as well.

I believe that most of these uniform issues should have been worked out before the board meeting.  I would even go so far as to ask CAP-USAF to take lead on directing what they want their Auxiliary to wear and write it. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

That's a very good idea, Spike.

However, given the present state of affairs, the fact is that many commercially-available "wooly-pully" type sweaters, like those available to airline crew and law enforcement, are almost indistinguishable from military issue.

Add in foreign-made military sweaters (like my RCN issue) and there's another grey area about what is/isn't a "military garment."  My RCN sweater has no labels signifying such, and visually it just looks like a black V-neck with epaulettes.  I think the AF's issue sweater is made in Great Britain anyway.

The local Army/Navy has an RAF sweater that is almost identical to ours except it has a sleeve pocket for pen/pencils.

Some worn by law enforcement only have small differences, like a place to put a badge:

http://www.securitywearhouse.com/police-sweater-p/140m.htm

So where do we draw the line on what is a "military" garment and what is a "police tactical" garment?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Eclipse

Randomly searching Google for sweaters isn't going to help much without something definitive from NHQ or someone in the know.

The one you cite doesn't even fit the definition - that's an aircrew sweater.  The Board minutes clearly say "police-style tactical".

"That Others May Zoom"

EMT-83

The way I hear the story, the original motion was to be for an Army style sweater. The motion was changed to police tactical style at the last minute, to avoid arguments. Unless I'm wrong, and I think my source it pretty good, no real thought was given to a specific sweater.

I relate it to the corporate gray pants. Lacking concise guidelines, do your best to comply with the regulation. If anyone questions it, put the burden of proof on them that it's wrong.

Eclipse

That's certainly the way the notes read...

"That Others May Zoom"

andysum15

On the subject of sweaters as a retired RAF member my RAF sweater is the same grey as the grey CAP epaulets. looks great with the grey pants. Would be nice if we could wear it legally.
Maj. Andy Sumner

jimmydeanno

Looking through some police equipment/uniform suppliers, they have "tactical sweaters" but all I have seen have the shoulder patches and a place on the left breast in the same material in the shape of a badge with two eyelets to hold the badge on.  Awkward...

EXAMPLE:

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: andysum15 on March 20, 2010, 03:33:49 AM
On the subject of sweaters as a retired RAF member my RAF sweater is the same grey as the grey CAP epaulets. looks great with the grey pants. Would be nice if we could wear it legally.

Hmmm...

I've seen RCAF sweaters in person (they're the same as what the RAF uses) and I have an RCAF side cap, or as they call it, a "wedge cap."  RCAF uniforms are nearly identical blue-grey to the RAF, and what I've seen has a lot more blue in it than our rank slides.

But you're right - the RAF/RCAF sweaters do look sharp.

And, except for the badge mount on the front, I can't tell the difference in a "tactical police" and a "military" sweater.

My Royal Canadian Navy sweater is almost exactly the same cut, except it's black and doesn't have the badge mount.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Slim

Quote from: jimmydeanno on March 20, 2010, 03:55:37 AM
Looking through some police equipment/uniform suppliers, they have "tactical sweaters" but all I have seen have the shoulder patches and a place on the left breast in the same material in the shape of a badge with two eyelets to hold the badge on.  Awkward...

EXAMPLE:

Every one of these sweaters I've ever bought for work had the badge tab enclosed separately, if they came with one at all.  The theory was that the seamstress/tailor would mark the sweater while you were wearing it so it went on in the right place, along with (department/company) patches.  Once something is machine sewn to those sweaters, it doesn't like to come off.

Find your local cop shop, and look through what they have available.  The sweaters I buy are actually a cotton/wool blend that doesn't shrink up as much as the 100% wool version.  They're also a lot less itchy, but every bit as warm.

Slim

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Slim on March 21, 2010, 06:28:17 AM
Find your local cop shop, and look through what they have available. 

"Cop shop," as in police/ES supply place, or go down to the local police station and ask what they wear and where they get it?  I ask because I learned "cop shop" to be the actual police station.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Slim

Quote from: CyBorg on March 22, 2010, 04:25:14 AM
Quote from: Slim on March 21, 2010, 06:28:17 AM
Find your local cop shop, and look through what they have available. 

"Cop shop," as in police/ES supply place, or go down to the local police station and ask what they wear and where they get it?  I ask because I learned "cop shop" to be the actual police station.

My bad.

Cop shop=Police/Fire/EMS uniform store.  But, in a pinch, you could go to the police station and ask them where they buy their uniforms.

Slim

EMT-83

"Hey officer, where did you buy that sweater? I want to get one so I can look just like you."

I can see it now!