To salute or not to salute?

Started by Extremepredjudice, August 29, 2011, 01:41:16 AM

Extremepredjudice

Well, that IS the question..

I was on an air force base this weekend for colour guard academy, and we were debating, what defines outside?

There were covered hallways that were almost inside, someone *ahem*guards*ahem* was claiming it was indoors, and therefor, don't salute and remove covers.

My stance:no door, not inside. Indoors even tells you: in a door, thus you go past a door.
Besides, learn to lead says that you may give a salute whenever you think it is appropriate...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

octavian

I was taught that covered walkways are outdoors and you salute.  If its open on the sides it isn't indoors.

Hawk200

Opinions vary on this. I saw a few variances while AD Air Force. On some bases if the walkway is covered, it usually meant headgear was not required, and as such, a salute wasn't either. But, other bases said headgear was, so salute was, whether walkway was covered or not.

Some areas were designated as "No Hat, No Salute" areas, but they were generally well marked.

At the time I was in, a number of buddies that worked on the flightline stated that they only saluted O-6 and up. Don't know if that changed, or if it was base specific.

Sometimes saluting if the area isn't generally considered a salute area will get you a few strange looks. But most of the time, people will tell you if it isn't. As an old saying goes: "When in Rome..." It's a good rule of thumb.

Major Carrales

What about a covered rail or bus station? 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

lordmonar

It is "OUT DOORS"

If you not indoors you do not salute.....if you are outdoors you do.

For get about covers, roofs, porches, awnings, dining flies, the trippled canopy jungel. 

Outdoors you salute.

No hat, no salute areas are desingated by the base commander.....and they vary from place to place.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DakRadz

Depending on the weather, wear either a goodly amount of sunscreen or a Goretex jacket/poncho. Make sure you are always outside. Salute officers.

Easy.

As my MSgt (Ret) from AFJROTC said, it depends on where and what you are- which is what Hawk said.

Now, if you want a hard-and-fast rule like lordmonar says is the case (which can be, but it seems like too much common sense!)-
Definite rule of thumb that no one can argue with, actually two rules-

When in doubt, salute.

When wearing a cap, salute.

spacecommand

Stroke

It's easy.  If you aren't supposed to salute outside, there will be signs posted designating the area a no hat/no salute area.  Other than that...salute.   
Humble - Credible - Approachable

Extremepredjudice

Another question: You salute officers when they are operating a vehicle(if both are in uniforn)
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

coudano

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on August 30, 2011, 09:08:38 PM
Another question: You salute officers when they are operating a vehicle(if both are in uniforn)

Only if the vehicle is marked as a staff car.
Many unsuspecting noob thrashed by not saluting staff car /heebiejeebies  (mostly because they just didnt recognize it as a staff car, either not paying attention, or not knowing any better...   not out of any sort of intentional disrespect)

I've seen a general sit in his staff car outside the office, and watch people walking by, (fishing for salutes?)  Personally I think that's kind of lame, but you can bet I saluted (or simply avoided that block) (heh).

I also saw some brand new airmen, quickly "educated"
when they saluted a car that went by with a guy inside wearing a flight suit.
they saw the zippersuit and assumed pilot, and thus assumed officer.

yeah it was a loadmaster.
he actually stopped the car, and got out, to bring these airmen up to speed
i was trying not to laugh too hard from about 2 blocks away haha

davidsinn

Quote from: coudano on August 30, 2011, 09:15:53 PM

Five'll get you ten the phrase: "I work for a living," was said during that discussion.  ;)
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

lordmonar

Quote from: davidsinn on August 30, 2011, 10:11:10 PM
Quote from: coudano on August 30, 2011, 09:15:53 PM

Five'll get you ten the phrase: "I work for a living," was said during that discussion.  ;)

If I had seen that.....I would have educated the Loadmaster.

I can't stand that phrase....and I can't stand when people get dressed down for redering honors.   As it has been said before....when in doubt whip it out!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ColonelJack

When I was in Basic at Lackland (back in 75, when dirt was new) I happened to encounter a fellow in quite the uniform -- blue, with all kinds of gold and silver and stuff I didn't recognize at all.  Being the conscientious airman that I was -- and also being positive there was a TI somewhere nearby -- I snapped a salute to the gentleman, who returned it with a smile.  As we passed, I noticed his name plate had Arabic script on it, but underneath was a translation.  He was a second lieutenant in the Saudi Arabian air force.  There was indeed a TI nearby ... and I got the closest thing to an "attaboy" one can get from a TI for saluting the foreign officer.

This thread made me remember that.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Ford73Diesel

Off topic...

I've run into my fair share of foreign military officers at USCG TRACEN Yorktown. They have some sort of training program there for foreign and US officers. Some of them seemed quite uncomfortable returning salutes. Talk about some crazy uniforms (especially when a class was graduating and they were in dress uniforms) Almost every single one thanked us for saluting them.

I am not a big fan of the "I work for a living" saying, especially when used by cadets. As said earlier, the best advice is "When in doubt, whip it out"

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: ColonelJack on August 31, 2011, 03:02:54 AM
When I was in Basic at Lackland (back in 75, when dirt was new) I happened to encounter a fellow in quite the uniform -- blue, with all kinds of gold and silver and stuff I didn't recognize at all.  Being the conscientious airman that I was -- and also being positive there was a TI somewhere nearby -- I snapped a salute to the gentleman, who returned it with a smile.  As we passed, I noticed his name plate had Arabic script on it, but underneath was a translation.  He was a second lieutenant in the Saudi Arabian air force.  There was indeed a TI nearby ... and I got the closest thing to an "attaboy" one can get from a TI for saluting the foreign officer.

This thread made me remember that.

Jack
This reminds me of when I was on Maxwell AFB for COS. The basic gist of what we were told when it came to saluting was "If its shiny or pretty, salute...unless its a fellow cadet then just say hi and continue on your way". I only caught sight of a few AF officers (foreign or domestic) and only ended up saluting maybe once due to proximity.
I have also been taught (I don't know if its right or wrong) to salute any active duty, enlisted or officer. It is kinda the "I work for a living" mentality. The gist of it being that they are actually fighting for my freedom to wear the uniform I do, therefore no matter the rank, as long as they are AD, I, the civilian wearing the uniform, salute. I have only done it a few times with the times that I have saluted an enlisted member, they just saluted back. Also, with today's uniforms it is kinda hard to tell who (as in what rank) is coming at you and by the time you figure it out you are too close to salute or not salute.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

SarDragon

I have never seen a time where cadets were taught to salute AD enlisted. Nor have I ever seen anything mentioned in any reg or leadership manual that suggests such behaviour.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ford73Diesel

Saluting enlisted personnel may not be wrong, but it is definitely not common. I would not encourage any cadet to salute enlisted members as common practice because it will most likely throw them off guard and they will probably be thinking to themselves "Why is this dude saluting me?"

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: Ford73Diesel on August 31, 2011, 04:22:05 AM
Saluting enlisted personnel may not be wrong, but it is definitely not common. I would not encourage any cadet to salute enlisted members as common practice because it will most likely throw them off guard and they will probably be thinking to themselves "Why is this dude saluting me?"
Quote from: SarDragon on August 31, 2011, 04:18:12 AM
I have never seen a time where cadets were taught to salute AD enlisted. Nor have I ever seen anything mentioned in any reg or leadership manual that suggests such behaviour.
I do not remember when or who taught me this or if it was just something that I picked up based off personal beliefs. I do agree that it does throw them off. I do believe I have had an NCO point to his rank and basically shut down the salute (basically didn't salute back). Like I said, I have only had few times in which I have even run into AD enlisted, but I think it is best out of respect to salute them as they are active duty and we are not, based off this teaching. I guess another way to look at it is that they are active duty and therefore outrank us, no matter the rank they actually are.
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

davidsinn

Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on August 31, 2011, 04:43:02 AM
they are active duty and therefore outrank us, no matter the rank they actually are.

That is wrong.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DakRadz

Quote from: davidsinn on August 31, 2011, 04:45:19 AM
Quote from: CAPC/officer125 on August 31, 2011, 04:43:02 AM
they are active duty and therefore outrank us, no matter the rank they actually are.

That is wrong.

Agreeing with Capt Sinn, and respectfully pointing out to C/Lt Col Temaat- this is specifically addressed by the knowledgebase. While I know KB tends to have a sideways view on certain issues, this one is fairly secure and unchallenged. You do not salute those lower in rank just because "their rank is more real than yours"