Main Menu

Promotional Items

Started by mclarke, May 18, 2011, 09:25:59 PM

mclarke

Just curious if anyone has experimented with using promotional items (key chains, pens, foam balls) for CAP? I am hoping to get some decent recruiting drives going here, and just thought this would maybe help out. Any thoughts/experiences?

Eclipse

For starters, who pays for them?

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

I use them all the time for our "DDR" activities.  Balsa Airplanes, Keychain Whistles, Pens, etc.  In the last year, I've probably given out 5,000 balsa airplanes to kids and parents, etc.

The DDR promo items are free, you just pay for shipping.

I think I've spend $30 in the last year for about 10K promo items.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

I didn't realize DDR was still giving stuff out, I thought they had disco'ed that.

"That Others May Zoom"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Eclipse on May 18, 2011, 10:03:35 PM
I didn't realize DDR was still giving stuff out, I thought they had disco'ed that.

They are still doing the promotional items, just not t-shirts.  They have a specific catalog and vendor to order from.  Once you get approval for your DDR activity, you're given a code to enter on the vendors site. 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mclarke

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 18, 2011, 09:58:39 PM
I use them all the time for our "DDR" activities.  Balsa Airplanes, Keychain Whistles, Pens, etc.  In the last year, I've probably given out 5,000 balsa airplanes to kids and parents, etc.

Who did you go thru? I have found some promo sites, but I am looking for better pricing.

Eclipse- I am paying out of pocket.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: mclarke on May 18, 2011, 10:12:20 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 18, 2011, 09:58:39 PM

Who did you go thru? I have found some promo sites, but I am looking for better pricing.

Eclipse- I am paying out of pocket.

I talked to the DDR office at NHQ.  They sent a link with all the information.

mclarke

I should get a hold of them. I am looking more towards general recruiting. Like, going into schools, or airshow displays. Something I can hand out with the Squadron info (foam balls, pens, carabiners, etc)... Just simple things. Hopefully they will have more than DDR only items.

spaatzmom

Quote from: mclarke on May 18, 2011, 10:27:01 PM
I should get a hold of them. I am looking more towards general recruiting. Like, going into schools, or airshow displays. Something I can hand out with the Squadron info (foam balls, pens, carabiners, etc)... Just simple things. Hopefully they will have more than DDR only items.

Your wing DDRA or region DDRC is the contact person.  In order to be approved properly there MUST be a DDR activity being presented and the proper after action report generated.  You cannot just order stuff to give away without the DDR tie in.  Given that these items are specifically ordered from the DDR catalog, they are labeled with the DDR logo.

AdAstra

At an information table at a KidsDay community event last Saturday, we passed out about 200 DDR-supplied helicopters. A big hit!

But what's the return on investment? I seriously doubt that more than a dozen prospective members will follow-up. In this case, it didn't cost me anything so I'm not overly concerned.

It's OK to pass out "freebies", but they just make you popular for a moment. What you're really trying to do is find serious, qualified prospects, right? Seriously consider screening to whom you hand out the more pricey things...especially if you or the squadron are paying for them. Make it clear that you are expecting some sort of commitment (visit a meeting, join, etc.) in return.

In the end, I don't think "freebies" accomplish that.
Charles Wiest

jimmydeanno

Quote from: AdAstra on May 19, 2011, 12:05:48 AM
But what's the return on investment?

QuoteI seriously doubt that more than a dozen prospective members will follow-up.

If you can recruit 6% of the people you hand a DDR helicopter to, I bet it's some sort of record.

But the ROI is the people who follow up, the parents that now know that CAP exists, the chance of someone else getting ahold of that item with your name on it.

Freebies are more of a visibility thing anyway.  I'd rather have kids with CAP/DDR freebies in their hand than a kid whose never had an interaction with us.

mclarke

Well, I kind of would like to imcorporate what I use to do as an RA (recruiter assistant) for the Army.

When kids come up, I would like to get a name, number, address, hand out little things (maybe a pen), that way I can ensure a follow up with the cadet AND their parents. I want to get the parents involved to hopefully encourage the cadet as well as make sure they understand who we are and what we do. Then, for those who actually join I would ensure a a water bottle. After they commit to the program 6 months get them a squadron t-shirt.

JC004

I got some promotional items in the past.  Pens seemed to be the most popular and I've done this for other promotional things too.  While promoting my website at a large conference, I handed out pens and people formed lines to collect them.  Couple thousand of them, poof.

4imprint is good.  They price match as well.  I knocked a huge amount off my last couple orders by finding some lower prices elsewhere.  Their prices are actually good to begin with.

Years ago, WIWAC, I set up with NHQ to work with their vendor for promotional things, thus giving us lower prices and no setup fees.   I'm not sure if this could still be arranged as it was many years ago.

Eclipse

Quote from: mclarke on May 18, 2011, 10:12:20 PMEclipse- I am paying out of pocket.

Inappropriate - at a minimum it should be squadron funds.  I cringe whenever I hear people tell me they do things
like this out of their own pocket, because that results in situations which are not sustainable, scale-able, or that live beyond the person
with the benevolent checkbook.

Further, in some case they engender an inappropriate feeling of "ownership" of the squadron or process, which may in turn lead to
an inappropriate level of bad feelings if things change or do not go the respective member's way.  It also allows people do "do things"
without any scrutiny of the finance committee or command staff, which in itself is not appropriate.

If it works as a recruiting tool, the unit should pay for it.

To the original question, a charitable organization giving stuff away with the right hand and asking for money with the left
doesn't usually send the right message.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP Producer

Quote from: Eclipse on May 19, 2011, 12:58:30 AM
Quote from: mclarke on May 18, 2011, 10:12:20 PMEclipse- I am paying out of pocket.

Inappropriate - at a minimum it should be squadron funds.  I cringe whenever I hear people tell me they do things
like this out of their own pocket, because that results in situations which are not sustainable, scale-able, or that live beyond the person

Further, in some case they engender an inappropriate feeling of "ownership" of the squadron or process, which may in turn lead to
an inappropriate level of bad feelings if things change or do not go the respective member's way.  It also allows people do "do things"
without any scrutiny of the finance committee or command staff, which in itself is not appropriate.

To the original question, a charitable organization giving stuff away with the right hand and asking for money with the left

I have seen what Eclipse describes first hand. Bad feelings are always the result. Your intentions are great but save your $$$ and get your unit/wing to pay.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

mclarke

Eh, it is never a problem for me because I am the recruiter and PAO, so anything I by for either task I keep with me, unless I want it to be distributed in anyway.

I have actually bought numerous items for the squadron out of pocket (needed a new light in the hangar for example, but it was a 10.00 lamp for the uniform area)... No big deal... I buy with the mind set I am donating this to the squadron, so I just keep a personal record of what I spend. Tax time comes, a really good family friend is a paralegal and helps me thru it all. No probs.

Once I buy something for the Squadron, it becomes the Squadron. If I leave CAP (which I will never do), or switch squadrons, I will not ask and would not ask for anything back. I feel that as long as I keep that in mind it is never a problem.

mclarke

Quote from: CAP Producer on May 19, 2011, 01:12:36 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 19, 2011, 12:58:30 AM

I have seen what Eclipse describes first hand. Bad feelings are always the result. Your intentions are great but save your $$$ and get your unit/wing to pay.

Eh, I understand where you are coming from, however, I have money that is just laying around. Having looked into it, its tax deductible, plus, helps the squadron out quite a bit. I tend to try and not ask our squadron as we have some current plans that are on-going.

Eclipse

^ Everything is fine until someone loses an eye...

...or is denied a promotion or other job / dec / whatever.

Then it goes from the objective "They denied me my promotion..."  to "They denied me my promotion, do you have any idea how much money I've given these guys?"

"That Others May Zoom"

mclarke

Quote from: Eclipse on May 19, 2011, 01:28:45 AM
^ Everything is fine until someone loses an eye...

...or is denied a promotion or other job / dec / whatever.

Then it goes from the objective "They denied me my promotion..."  to "They denied me my promotion, do you have any idea how much money I've given these guys?"

Actually, I have my 2nd Lt, I really do not care about promoting now. This is as far as I want to go, however, I am still going to do all the other work. I do get where you are coming from though, but even so, its not about what I can get, but what I can give to the organization. The greater good. Besides, I may not be in the state much longer, so I want to contribute as much as possible before I leave.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: AdAstra on May 19, 2011, 12:05:48 AM
At an information table at a KidsDay community event last Saturday, we passed out about 200 DDR-supplied helicopters. A big hit!

But what's the return on investment? I seriously doubt that more than a dozen prospective members will follow-up. In this case, it didn't cost me anything so I'm not overly concerned.

It's OK to pass out "freebies", but they just make you popular for a moment. What you're really trying to do is find serious, qualified prospects, right? Seriously consider screening to whom you hand out the more pricey things...especially if you or the squadron are paying for them. Make it clear that you are expecting some sort of commitment (visit a meeting, join, etc.) in return.

In the end, I don't think "freebies" accomplish that.
Well you've got to remember that CAP is not seen as a main stream youth development organization. :(  There's plenty of other organizations, well know (boy/girl scouts, The Y, etc) that likely have easy access and even more local support than CAP will EVER accomplish --- that's just the way it is with very little chance for change.

Personally, I don't think those freebies really do any good in recruiting.  I think the cadets themselves recruit other cadets and the gimmicks don't retain people (cadets or seniors) if they personally don't buy into the program.
RM