Main Menu

Promotional Items

Started by mclarke, May 18, 2011, 09:25:59 PM

JC004

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 19, 2011, 03:40:14 AM
Quote from: AdAstra on May 19, 2011, 12:05:48 AM
At an information table at a KidsDay community event last Saturday, we passed out about 200 DDR-supplied helicopters. A big hit!

But what's the return on investment? I seriously doubt that more than a dozen prospective members will follow-up. In this case, it didn't cost me anything so I'm not overly concerned.

It's OK to pass out "freebies", but they just make you popular for a moment. What you're really trying to do is find serious, qualified prospects, right? Seriously consider screening to whom you hand out the more pricey things...especially if you or the squadron are paying for them. Make it clear that you are expecting some sort of commitment (visit a meeting, join, etc.) in return.

In the end, I don't think "freebies" accomplish that.
Well you've got to remember that CAP is not seen as a main stream youth development organization. :(  There's plenty of other organizations, well know (boy/girl scouts, The Y, etc) that likely have easy access and even more local support than CAP will EVER accomplish --- that's just the way it is with very little chance for change.

Personally, I don't think those freebies really do any good in recruiting.  I think the cadets themselves recruit other cadets and the gimmicks don't retain people (cadets or seniors) if they personally don't buy into the program.
RM

A.I.D.A

They have their place.  This is why probably the vast majority of organizations (especially large organizations) actively marketing use them.

But CAP doesn't follow standard marketing practices and that's working great...

Do you really ask for a commitment over a pen?  Who expects retention because you gave someone a pen?  It is all how you work it in to what you are doing.  It is part of a process.

My information tables used multiple techniques to gain attention and take that attention to action.  They worked well.  Giveaway items were included in that.  We got a lot of requests for information and recruited a lot of people.

mclarke

The commitment is not based on the pen. The pen is free, but gives the information for CAP (website, email, phone number, whatever it is)... Its more of a hey, check us out kind of thing...

The commitment is to get them into the meeting, introduce them to the squadron, get them involved. I would give a CAP water bottle or squadron shirt as a incentive... kind of a "I am in CAP, ask me what we do" to further do recruiting...

Think of it in terms of the Army. You get a boonie hat... its not just for your pleasure, it also gets other people to say hey, cool hat, where you get it... they tell you and you call the army up... its a cycle. Indirect recruiting. The pen or key chain is more of a "this is our information", something that is not a formal business card.

caphornbuckle

Quote from: mclarke on May 19, 2011, 10:55:50 AM
The commitment is not based on the pen. The pen is free, but gives the information for CAP (website, email, phone number, whatever it is)... Its more of a hey, check us out kind of thing...

The commitment is to get them into the meeting, introduce them to the squadron, get them involved. I would give a CAP water bottle or squadron shirt as a incentive... kind of a "I am in CAP, ask me what we do" to further do recruiting...

Think of it in terms of the Army. You get a boonie hat... its not just for your pleasure, it also gets other people to say hey, cool hat, where you get it... they tell you and you call the army up... its a cycle. Indirect recruiting. The pen or key chain is more of a "this is our information", something that is not a formal business card.

I have to agree.  I haven't seen anyone walk into a recruiting office and not walk out with some sort of bling.  Heck, I've got a closet full of Army National Guard T-Shirts, hats, mugs, pens, lanyards, etc. from when I worked with a recruiter.  CAP is no different.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: caphornbuckle on May 20, 2011, 10:17:34 AMCAP is no different.

Again, last I checked the military was not a 501c(3)...yet...

"That Others May Zoom"

Skydude61

Quote from: mclarke on May 18, 2011, 09:25:59 PM
Just curious if anyone has experimented with using promotional items (key chains, pens, foam balls) for CAP? I am hoping to get some decent recruiting drives going here, and just thought this would maybe help out. Any thoughts/experiences?

My suggestion is the use of pamphlets.... fairly cheap (especially if you go to kinko's or something like that :clap:) and easy to give out. people take them, and then look at them wether or not they want to, thus getting informed. If you do, make sure it isn't all type, use pictures.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Skydude61 on May 20, 2011, 07:03:50 PM
Just curious if anyone has experimented with using promotional items (key chains, pens, foam balls) for CAP? I am hoping to get some decent recruiting drives going here, and just thought this would maybe help out. Any thoughts/experiences?

My suggestion is the use of pamphlets.... fairly cheap (especially if you go to kinko's or something like that :clap:) and easy to give out. people take them, and then look at them wether or not they want to, thus getting informed. If you do, make sure it isn't all type, use pictures.

Cadet & Senior pamphlets can actually be ordered from NHQ on eServices.

Skydude61

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 20, 2011, 07:11:29 PM
Quote from: Skydude61 on May 20, 2011, 07:03:50 PM

Cadet & Senior pamphlets can actually be ordered from NHQ on eServices.

Very Good Point

caphornbuckle

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2011, 02:55:06 PM
Quote from: caphornbuckle on May 20, 2011, 10:17:34 AMCAP is no different.

Again, last I checked the military was not a 501c(3)...yet...

Actually I was referencing the fact that we do recruiting like the military.  Sometimes with the military.  In that aspect, CAP is no different.  Our nonprofit status has little impact on recruiting except that some of the stuff they pay for in CAP is tax deductable.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

shlebz

at my old squadron every cadet who recieved their Earhart award got a coffee cup.
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: shlebz on August 04, 2011, 05:12:05 PM
at my old squadron every cadet who recieved their Earhart award got a coffee cup.

I believe we gave Squadron challenge coins at C/SSgt.

Eclipse

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 04, 2011, 05:15:34 PM
Quote from: shlebz on August 04, 2011, 05:12:05 PM

I believe we gave Squadron challenge coins at C/SSgt.

Correct - or at least that's how it was last I discussed it.

Cadets at S/Sgt, Seniors at 1st Lt.  Though I don't think that's really a "promotional item" as they recognize fairly significant accomplishment.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I was replying more directly to the necro post about the mugs.

As for promotional items, unlike the USMC, USAF, or the US Army, we don't have a huge recruiting budget, and can't give away hundreds of dollars per recruiting drive to high school kids that will take anything as long as it's free.

DakRadz

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 04, 2011, 08:49:49 PM
I was replying more directly to the necro post about the mugs.

As for promotional items, unlike the USMC, USAF, or the US Army, we don't have a huge recruiting budget, and can't give away hundreds of dollars per recruiting drive to high school kids that will take anything as long as it's free.

Yeah, I still have no idea why I took some of my free crap.

I did hand a shirt back to a USA SSgt and politely tell him I wasn't joining the Army and couldn't justify a shirt. I mean, a pen I'll use, but wearing an Army shirt... Eh.

USAFaux- Oi! You forgot the Coast Guard and Navy!

Майор Хаткевич

Did not. They never visited my High School in the 3 years I was there.

DakRadz

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 04, 2011, 09:30:48 PM
The Navy probably figured their encampment contribution was enough work for a year ;D

USCG... Well, you're land-locked. For all intents and purposes.

Eclipse

Quote from: DakRadz on August 04, 2011, 09:44:30 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 04, 2011, 09:30:48 PM
The Navy probably figured their encampment contribution was enough work for a year ;D

USCG... Well, you're land-locked. For all intents and purposes.

Yes, except for the second largest (by volume) of the Great Lakes, the Mississippi River, and huge natural and man-made bodies all over the place, we don't see much in the way of water...

"That Others May Zoom"

AirDX

Quote from: Eclipse on August 04, 2011, 05:22:53 PM

Cadets at S/Sgt, Seniors at 1st Lt.  Though I don't think that's really a "promotional item" as they recognize fairly significant accomplishment.

Nice idea.  I believe I will attempt to steal it!
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.