Main Menu

chick fe le

Started by jb110195, April 29, 2011, 11:52:44 AM

jb110195

ive heard rumors that cap members get a 55% discount at Chick-Fe-Le...is this true?

exFlight Officer

Can't find it anywhere on the CAP Benefits page

mclarke

Quote from: Flight Officer on April 29, 2011, 01:00:09 PM
Can't find it anywhere on the CAP Benefits page.

That does not surprise me. Half of the benefits we get are never listed. Is it maybe "that particular" Chick fe le does it? Anyways, there are tons of benefits CAP gets but does not use because we are never told about them.

jks19714

Military members can get a 10% discount at the STORE OWNER'S discretion according to their website.

Whether CAP is classified as military is probably also at the owner's discretion.

55% is probably in the realm of fantasy (unless you're a member of the store owner's family).
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

exFlight Officer

Quote from: mclarke on April 29, 2011, 01:07:12 PM

That does not surprise me. Half of the benefits we get are never listed. Is it maybe "that particular" Chick fe le does it? Anyways, there are tons of benefits CAP gets but does not use because we are never told about them.

Penny for your thoughts on the other half not listed ? :D

Local establishments in my area offer discounts to Military and Public Service workers,, also at the store owners discretion.

Major Lord

Kragen's auto parts gave me a 10% "military" discount when I purchased a generator in uniform. Better than a sharp stick in one's eye!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

GroundHawg

Skyline offers a 20% for uniformed members :)

Reno

I go to Chic fil A every now and then before meetings and they give me the military discount. haha
Andrew Reno, FO, CAP
Professional Development Officer
120th Composite Squadron, ARWG

mclarke

Quote from: Flight Officer on April 29, 2011, 01:13:41 PM
Quote from: mclarke on April 29, 2011, 01:07:12 PM

Penny for your thoughts on the other half not listed ? :D

Local establishments in my area offer discounts to Military and Public Service workers,, also at the store owners discretion.

-Pentagon Federal
-Oakleys Government site
-Sports Clips
-Movie Theaters (discretion of the manager/owner)
-Amusement Parks (Discretion of manager/owner)

There are tons. A lot of places that offer military discounts will often allow CAP the same courtesy. Just speak with the manager prior and explain who you are, what you represent. Make sure you explain your looking to expand the courtesy to the entire CAP Organization, not just yourself. Selfishness will surely get you shot down.

EMT-83

Asking for a discount is in very poor taste. If one is offered, say thank you and move on.

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 29, 2011, 09:10:43 PM
Asking for a discount is in very poor taste. If one is offered, say thank you and move on.

Second, and I suspect there will e more agreeing.

We are not in the military, and there is a difference between going into a Starbuck's in uniform during a mission and being offered
a free coffee, and walking up to a theater in civvies and asking for a military discount based solely on your CAP affiliation.

Hint: #2 is not cool.

"That Others May Zoom"

mclarke

Quote from: Eclipse on April 29, 2011, 09:26:49 PM

We are not in the military, and there is a difference between going into a Starbuck's in uniform during a mission and being offered
a free coffee, and walking up to a theater in civvies and asking for a military discount based solely on your CAP affiliation.

I will explain. I did not say ask. I said explain to the manager. Many times I have been offered a military discount. Not because I ask, but because when questioned, I talk about Civil Air Patrol. I simply meant that when offered a discount for being military, explain who you are and ensure that this is not a mistake of identity. Ensure they understand that though CAP works with the military, we are NOT the military.

EXAMPLE:

The first time I went to sports clips, I had been asked if I had pans for the evening, the weather, etc... Small talk. I explained I was in the Civil Air Patrol and was getting a hair cut before our meeting to make sure I meant regulations. We started talking about what Civil Air Patrol does, and so forth. When I was done and about to pay, I was offered my haircut at military price (which I do believe is 20% off). I went on to explain that we actually are not military, and of the affiliation with the Air Force.

The verdict in the end is they are willing to extend that invitation to our squadron. I did not explain, but wanted to set straight the record as to not have confusion. Due to being a non-profit, military affiliated organization, they were willing to extend us this courtesy because of our EMS missions.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on April 29, 2011, 09:26:49 PM

Agreed.

On a similar tack, what do you guys think about asking for military/government rates at hotels when you are traveling for CAP?

raivo

+1

I saw a CAP member once upon a time wearing his blues to a "military/retirees eat free" night. Talk about tacky...

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 29, 2011, 10:47:01 PMOn a similar tack, what do you guys think about asking for military/government rates at hotels when you are traveling for CAP?

I have no issue when traveling for CAP, as then I am on government business, however as an FYI, the GSA / military rate is not always the lowest
price.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on April 29, 2011, 11:13:44 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 29, 2011, 10:47:01 PMOn a similar tack, what do you guys think about asking for military/government rates at hotels when you are traveling for CAP?

I have no issue when traveling for CAP, as then I am on government business, however as an FYI, the GSA / military rate is not always the lowest
price.

I've noticed that. I've also noticed that you can often get a price similar to gov/mil rate if you pay in advance.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 29, 2011, 11:15:52 PMI've noticed that. I've also noticed that you can often get a price similar to gov/mil rate if you pay in advance.

Yep, or Priceline, etc.  GSA only guarantees a fixed rate negotiated in advance, not necessarily the lowest.

"That Others May Zoom"

raivo

1) Go on AFWay, see expensive item
2) Go on OfficeDepot.com, see same item sold cheaper
3) Realize you're required to buy the more expensive GSA item through AFWay
4) RAGE

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on April 29, 2011, 11:18:06 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 29, 2011, 11:15:52 PMI've noticed that. I've also noticed that you can often get a price similar to gov/mil rate if you pay in advance.

Yep, or Priceline, etc.  GSA only guarantees a fixed rate negotiated in advance, not necessarily the lowest.

Very Rarely have I found the Government rates to be cheaper...they are usually cheaper when the hotel raises their rate for some other big event or Holiday weekend.  I found it better to just become a Choice Rewards member and get discounts/points as well as the occasional free upgrade.

DBlair

Quote from: raivo on April 29, 2011, 11:12:43 PM

+1

I saw a CAP member once upon a time wearing his blues to a "military/retirees eat free" night. Talk about tacky...

This is along the same line as the Cadets and SMs I've heard about who opt to wear CAP blues when flying (not for CAP purposes) in order to get the free checked/overweight baggage courtesy offered to the military.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander