Main Menu

chick fe le

Started by jb110195, April 29, 2011, 11:52:44 AM

A.Member

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 29, 2011, 09:10:43 PM
Asking for a discount is in very poor taste...
As is eating at most fast food places.  :P

I'm not sure which is worse: that someone is excited to eat there or that they want a CAP discount there.   Quite frankly, most members could use a lot fewer meals at places such as this...and yes, I'll throw myself in that group.  It's certainly nothing worth promoting.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 29, 2011, 10:47:01 PM
On a similar tack, what do you guys think about asking for military/government rates at hotels when you are traveling for CAP?

My wing negotiated a government rate with a local hotel for a professional development weekend at $74.00 / night.  I called separately and booked a room at $49.00 / night. 

Government rate, AARP, Corporate Discounts, etc aren't always your best bet.  Remember that the companies still need to make money, "discount" or not.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SARDOC

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 29, 2011, 09:10:43 PM
Asking for a discount is in very poor taste. If one is offered, say thank you and move on.

Absolutely Agree.   It's their business, they charge me whatever is the fair price...if it's discounted for whatever reason including being in uniform.  It's their Business...just say thank you.

GroundHawg

Being a reservist, I ask pretty much everytime I purchase something if they offer a military discount. Tacky or not, I'll take what I can get in this economy. >:(

Eclipse

Quote from: GroundHawg on May 01, 2011, 02:05:55 AM
Being areservist, I ask pretty much everytime I purchase something if they offer a military discount. Tacky or not, I'll take what I can get in this economy.

Its not tacky to ask for a military discount if you're a reservist, it's deserved.

Now, as to the "tree in an empty forest" argument about a reservist requesting a military discount for CAP activities...let that be between you and your God (also, when discussing this with him, can you ask about him providing more straw?  We're getting a little low down here...)

"That Others May Zoom"

raivo

Quote from: Eclipse on May 01, 2011, 01:38:49 PMIts not tacky to ask for a military discount if you're a reservist, it's deserved.

+1

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

JayT

When I'm at work, in uniform, and the person behind the counter offers me a discount or free stuff all together, I politely say thank you and make sure I tip well. That seems to be the best choice.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

You can be lucky by getting all of those discounts and free stuff.  For us overseas, we get nothing.

We sometimes pay more off base than local nationals. After a CAP meeting we went to a Pizza place off base and in civis (no uniform off base)
We all spoke English and so the Lady gave  us an English menu card. After we ordered, she forgot a German menu card on our table. As I speak and understand German too, I opened it and noticed that the prices were between 50cents and 1 euro cheaper than the English written card.   

I then asked her in German about that and she apologized and explained that her boss told her to do so.  But when we paid, she did the German prices......

All those CAP and military benefits are no big deal for us over here.

Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

SARDOC

Quote from: NHQ-OS-126 Frank on May 02, 2011, 01:43:04 PM
You can be lucky by getting all of those discounts and free stuff.  For us overseas, we get nothing.

We sometimes pay more off base than local nationals. After a CAP meeting we went to a Pizza place off base and in civis (no uniform off base)
We all spoke English and so the Lady gave  us an English menu card. After we ordered, she forgot a German menu card on our table. As I speak and understand German too, I opened it and noticed that the prices were between 50cents and 1 euro cheaper than the English written card.   

I then asked her in German about that and she apologized and explained that her boss told her to do so.  But when we paid, she did the German prices......

All those CAP and military benefits are no big deal for us over here.

That happened to us in Greece too...they would frequently say that we could pay in American Dollars but with the dollar not being as strong as the Euro they would charge us a little more.  Some of the Inexperienced travelers among us thought that was okay...I just went to the ATM and got Euros and paid the posted price.

meganite

Haha, I think that happens in every country... and I've lived in several ;) Same deal, always. Make sure you speak the language, that's all I can say!

ProdigalJim

Quote from: meganite on May 03, 2011, 02:38:50 AM
Haha, I think that happens in every country... and I've lived in several ;) Same deal, always. Make sure you speak the language, that's all I can say!

Too true! My second son hiked alone through Mongolia last year (that's a whole 'nuther story), but he wrote this in his Facebook diary about the trip about knowing the language to keep your wallet from getting cleaned out:

>> Arriving in Ulaanbaatar after a month in the countryside (hudu) was surprisingly satisfying. No longer as intimidated by language, I was much more comfortable walking the streets. Although I looked as I did a few summers ago when I arrived at (my brother) Justin's apartment (Justin: "like the inside of a car"), the reception was very kind at the hotel I found close to the city center. I was very impressed with myself that after two misfires at hotels with an English "hotel" sign asking $90 and $127 for a night (and they did ask for dollars), the hotel with only "zochin budald" was only 12,000 T (or about $10). After cleaning up (showering for the first time in weeks and changing into the clean clothes I had been carrying around for this reason), a man I met on the stairs asked politely, "Excuse me, how did you find this hotel? There is no English sign." The fact had not escaped me :) << 

Atta boy!!!!
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...