Improve running

Started by ElectricPenguin, January 26, 2011, 04:34:56 AM

ElectricPenguin

I got a 11 munutes on mile run a few hours ago at PT. First off, I'm 14, C/1C... would this be passing? Second, how could I improve???

BGNightfall

There are any number of ways to improve your run times, but the biggest one is to just get off your couch and run in your off time. 

I personally propose practicing both sprint drills (to improve muscular strength in your legs) and endurance drills (to improve your "wind").  And mix it up!  Pace out a circuit wherever you live (a block in town, up and down the road if its more rural, around the field if you have one/want to) and run it with a combo of sprints and jogs for at least 20 minutes a couple times a week.

Finally, if you want to be good at running one mile, practice running a mile and a half or two miles.  You don't want to be dying at the end of your run, you want to have excess energy to burn for that last 200 yards!

Good luck!

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: BGNightfall on January 26, 2011, 04:39:51 AM
There are any number of ways to improve your run times, but the biggest one is to just get off your couch and run in your off time. 

I personally propose practicing both sprint drills (to improve muscular strength in your legs) and endurance drills (to improve your "wind").  And mix it up!  Pace out a circuit wherever you live (a block in town, up and down the road if its more rural, around the field if you have one/want to) and run it with a combo of sprints and jogs for at least 20 minutes a couple times a week.

Finally, if you want to be good at running one mile, practice running a mile and a half or two miles.  You don't want to be dying at the end of your run, you want to have excess energy to burn for that last 200 yards!

Good luck!

Thanks, I will have to do this starting tommorrow afternoon. Today sucked!!! 

coudano

manfredvonrichthofen

Wile in the Army we did last man up runs, I know this isn't able to be done on CAP time, everyone gets into one long line down the side of the road with about a five meter gap in between each other. Then make the last man sprint to the front of the group with everyone else jogging.

Alone you can do pole drills. Pole drills are easy and they can make running a bit more fun and rigorous. Start jogging from one pole to the next pole, when you get to the second pole sprint through the next pole and start jogging at the next pole, then repeat until you are done, I usually do this for about an hour and a half. These two drills helped me get the best running time in my Company. They help.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 26, 2011, 05:20:00 AM
Wile in the Army we did last man up runs, I know this isn't able to be done on CAP time, everyone gets into one long line down the side of the road with about a five meter gap in between each other. Then make the last man sprint to the front of the group with everyone else jogging.

Alone you can do pole drills. Pole drills are easy and they can make running a bit more fun and rigorous. Start jogging from one pole to the next pole, when you get to the second pole sprint through the next pole and start jogging at the next pole, then repeat until you are done, I usually do this for about an hour and a half. These two drills helped me get the best running time in my Company. They help.

I'm familiar with man up runs, why aren't we allowed to do them on CAP time?

GTCommando

^ I was about to ask the same thing. Cite please?
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

manfredvonrichthofen

It's not that your not allowed to do them on CAP time, it's that you really don't have the time to do them. Some units don't have the capability to do PT training AND PT testing. I don't think that there is any reason that these drills would be banned in CAP. Plus that kind of running takes a good bit of time to get everyone to get a good run in. By all means, if you have the time and facilities, do these drills, they will help.

EDIT: Be sure to stretch and warm up really good, or you run the risk of pulling a muscle doing sprints. Even the shuttle run can cause some muscular problems if you aren't loose and warmed up enough.

SarDragon

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on January 26, 2011, 04:34:56 AM
I got a 11 munutes on mile run a few hours ago at PT. First off, I'm 14, C/1C... would this be passing? Second, how could I improve???

Th answer you seek is in CAPP 52-18.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 26, 2011, 05:29:52 AM
Some units don't have the capability to do PT training AND PT testing.

Those units are violating the regs and need to re-prioritize their time.
Quote from: capr 52-16 1-2.c.2Commanders  should schedule time for cadet fitness training; simply administering the fitness tests described below is not sufficient

jeders

What we've begun doing is to only do the CPFT every other month. On the in between months we do some form of physical training or conditioning. Also, when we do the CPFT, we follow it with group physical activities.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Flying Pig

Quote from: coudano on January 26, 2011, 06:10:30 AM

Those units are violating the regs and need to re-prioritize their time.
Quote from: capr 52-16 1-2.c.2Commanders  should schedule time for cadet fitness training; simply administering the fitness tests described below is not sufficient
[/quot

Before we start bashing commanders, note the reg says "should".  Its not a requirement. Its a suggestion. "will". or "shall" would be used otherwise. I agree units should but often with limited time and multiple requirements involved with CP and only so many seniors to go around, cadets need to PT on their own. If you think one night per month playing volleyball is going to do anything to get a cadet into shap, your mistaken.

ElectricPenguin

I personally think every meeting other then blues night, should have some kind of running, or something. Just to get you ready for the night.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on January 26, 2011, 03:53:54 PM
I personally think every meeting other then blues night, should have some kind of running, or something. Just to get you ready for the night.

Why on earth do you need to run to get ready to take a class? I, for one, don't want to give up any of my ES teaching time so cadets can take a jog to prepare to practice triangulation on a map...

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 26, 2011, 03:57:00 PM

Why on earth do you need to run to get ready to take a class? I, for one, don't want to give up any of my ES teaching time so cadets can take a jog to prepare to practice triangulation on a map...

Extend the meeting 15 minutes. Not too hard...

GTCommando

^Besides, exercise stimulates the brain, leaving the cadets better prepared to learn what you're trying to teach. 
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates

davidsinn

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on January 26, 2011, 04:33:37 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 26, 2011, 03:57:00 PM

Extend the meeting 15 minutes. Not too hard...

My meetings are already 2.5 hours long. Extending them more is not doable. There is no point in making everyone sweat before sitting in a class. Besides it's nigh impossible to run outside when the wind chill is -10F.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DogCollar

Cadet,
I have done a lot of distance running over the years, and am presently training for a 10k race in April.  Advice I would like to pass onto you:

1.  If you haven't done a lot of running before, DO NOT begin running everyday!!  Your muscles need time to recuperate.  Try every other day for several weeks.  Avoiding injury is the first part of starting any exercise regime.
2.  Run with a partner.  Maybe after a month or two of training on your own, ask someone who might be slightly faster than you to run with you.  Let them pace you and encourage you to up your speed.
3.  Don't always run the same distance.  Challenge yourself by going longer.  On days where you don't have the same amount of time to run, work on your pace.
4.  Make sure you are running in good shoes that are fit to your feet and running gait by someone who knows what they are doing.  Many foot injuries are VERY hard to overcome and can be prevented by having appropriate shoes.  Warning...sometimes shoes can be rather costly.
5.  Do what it takes to make running fun.  Get a partner...go trail running once in awhile...listen to music (however, make sure you can HEAR over the music, especially if you are road running and sharing the road with motor vehicles.

Being a runner can give you more energy, keep you off medications as you age, and give you an outlet for destressing.  It is my hope that you come to enjoy the activity.  If you enjoy it, you will do well in it.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

tsrup

I like this program a lot.

http://www.c25k.com/

You can start out at a later week in the program if you are already at that level, or if you're struggling you can repeat the week.  Its tailorable to your needs.  And its designed for the person who may or may not have been running much before.

It also works with you depending on what your goals are, wether you want to run faster, or if you want to run longer.

The best part about this program is that it sets quantifiable goals for yourself. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: DogCollar on January 26, 2011, 04:59:13 PM
Cadet,
I have done a lot of distance running over the years, and am presently training for a 10k race in April.  Advice I would like to pass onto you:

1.  If you haven't done a lot of running before, DO NOT begin running everyday!!  Your muscles need time to recuperate.  Try every other day for several weeks.  Avoiding injury is the first part of starting any exercise regime.
2.  Run with a partner.  Maybe after a month or two of training on your own, ask someone who might be slightly faster than you to run with you.  Let them pace you and encourage you to up your speed.
3.  Don't always run the same distance.  Challenge yourself by going longer.  On days where you don't have the same amount of time to run, work on your pace.
4.  Make sure you are running in good shoes that are fit to your feet and running gait by someone who knows what they are doing.  Many foot injuries are VERY hard to overcome and can be prevented by having appropriate shoes.  Warning...sometimes shoes can be rather costly.
5.  Do what it takes to make running fun.  Get a partner...go trail running once in awhile...listen to music (however, make sure you can HEAR over the music, especially if you are road running and sharing the road with motor vehicles.

Being a runner can give you more energy, keep you off medications as you age, and give you an outlet for destressing.  It is my hope that you come to enjoy the activity.  If you enjoy it, you will do well in it.

Thank you, I didn't know about the every other day thing.