Deviant flight suit?

Started by ArmyCAP, July 05, 2010, 06:35:20 PM

ArmyCAP

I know the uniform publication states the USAF style or type of sage green, nomex flight suit may be worn. I have an Army sage green flight suit, and the only difference I can see is that the USAF version has a velcro flap covering the pen/pencil pocket on the upper left sleeve, while the Army does not, leaving, I suppose, ones's writng implements uncovered.

I have already read a number of posts on flight suits, patches, badges, etc. which make me think at least some folks in CAP are a lot more persnickety about uniform issues than I might expect a civilian auxilary to be. Be that as it may, I am also not one to flaunt any rules, as this is not usually good leadership. So, my sentimental attachments to it aside, would wering my Army flight suit be a real issue or create any problems for me or my chain of command?

Flying Pig

The flap is a non-issue.  I personally cut mine off.  What you want to make sure is that its a flight suit and not a tank crewman suit.   Not insulting your intelligence.....

HGjunkie

Quote from: ArmyCAP on July 05, 2010, 06:35:20 PM
I know the uniform publication states the USAF style or type of sage green, nomex flight suit may be worn. I have an Army sage green flight suit, and the only difference I can see is that the USAF version has a velcro flap covering the pen/pencil pocket on the upper left sleeve, while the Army does not, leaving, I suppose, ones's writng implements uncovered.

I have already read a number of posts on flight suits, patches, badges, etc. which make me think at least some folks in CAP are a lot more persnickety about uniform issues than I might expect a civilian auxilary to be. Be that as it may, I am also not one to flaunt any rules, as this is not usually good leadership. So, my sentimental attachments to it aside, would wering my Army flight suit be a real issue or create any problems for me or my chain of command?
Meh, it's a non-issue. it gives you a place to put moral patches, so that's pretty good. if you want, you could pop over $100 for a flight suit in regs, But if you tell your commander you dont want to do that, it shouldn't be a problem. Heck, your sq. might have a Flight suit surplus if you're lucky.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RiverAux

Looks to me that all it requires is to be green NOMEX and not even necessarily "sage" green (Table 2.4).  So, I think you're good to go.

However, they do get very specific about what types of jackets can be worn with the flight suit. 

Eclipse

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 05, 2010, 06:50:50 PM
Meh, it's a non-issue. it gives you a place to put the Aux On/Off patch,

..which are uber lame...

so that's pretty good. if you want, you could pop over $100 for a flight suit in regs, But if you tell your commander you dont want to do that, it shouldn't be a problem.

So...we simply inform our commanders we don't feel like buying proper uniforms and then just grab the first thing in the closet?

To the OP, it's likely a non-issue as long as the color is correct, but the tank crewman suit could be an issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2010, 07:18:53 PM
..which are uber lame...
Meh, it's a non-issue. it gives you a place to put moral patches, so that's pretty good.
Still lame...
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

HGjunkie

Quote from: Short Field on July 05, 2010, 07:50:07 PM
..which are uber lame...
Meh, it's a non-issue. it gives you a place to put moral patches, so that's pretty good.
Still lame...
To you and Eclipse it might be, but some people think they're cool. besides, who doesn't like the Fun Meter?
http://www.av8rstuff.com/miscfss1.html
I've seen RM pilots wear these patches, and my dad had a hilarious modification to his unit patch when he was an Army Longbow pilot.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RVT

Quote from: ArmyCAP on July 05, 2010, 06:35:20 PM
I know the uniform publication states the USAF style or type of sage green, nomex flight suit may be worn. I have an Army sage green flight suit, and the only difference I can see is that the USAF version has a Velcro flap covering the pen/pencil pocket on the upper left sleeve, while the Army does not, leaving, I suppose, ones writing implements uncovered.

That's a change.  When I was on active duty the army flight suit was two pieces, regular shirt & pants.  We had a recent save here in CA where they picked up an ELT signal while doing O-rides and one of the pilots involved in that is wearing one, so they are still around.  Don't appear anywhere in 39-1 though.

RiverAux

I think a two-piece flight suit would be a stretch.

ArmyCAP

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the tank crewman possibility, but given the, uh, pedigree of this suit, I guess I can't rule that out completely. I'll look online, but how does one tell the difference?

ol'fido

With the exception of the aforementioned "tanker suit", if it's issued by Uncle Sugar and of the one-piece variety it's probably kosher. Many of the flight suits you see have minor variations such as the flap on the sleeve. Mine has the cuff zippers on the leg on the inside of the leg instead of in front. Other than that it looks like every other flight suit I've seen. If it's got a issue # you should be good.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SJFedor

Quote from: ArmyCAP on July 05, 2010, 11:18:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the tank crewman possibility, but given the, uh, pedigree of this suit, I guess I can't rule that out completely. I'll look online, but how does one tell the difference?

Look at the label, you should see something relating to flying. Believe mine says "Coveralls, Flyers, CWU-27/P" or something like it.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SJFedor

Quote from: HGjunkie on July 05, 2010, 09:27:28 PM
Quote from: Short Field on July 05, 2010, 07:50:07 PM
..which are uber lame...
Still lame...
To you and Eclipse it might be, but some people think they're cool. besides, who doesn't like the Fun Meter?
http://www.av8rstuff.com/miscfss1.html
I've seen RM pilots wear these patches, and my dad had a hilarious modification to his unit patch when he was an Army Longbow pilot.

You know, for someone jumping up and down in another thread about unauthorized uniform items, I'm rather surprised to see you arguing for morale patches.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Hawk200

Quote from: ArmyCAP on July 05, 2010, 11:18:00 PM
If it's got a crap flap, it's a tanker suit. There's also usually a panel behind the shoulders that opens up with a pull strap inside. The suits are also olive, not sage.

a2capt

LOL.. crap flap. Okay. Sorry, slow day. First real laugh of it, too.

Never heard it called that.

DakRadz

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 06, 2010, 12:34:27 AM
crap flap

+5

Quote from: a2capt on July 06, 2010, 12:44:58 AM

Agreed on all counts.

O-Rex

If you're gonna do it, do it right, nix the tanker suit.  If you look like a 'quiet professional,' you have an tendency to act like a pro, and maybe, just maybe you'll be treated accordingly.

Two piece green flight suits?  those phased out of the Army in the early 80's, if you have one, keep it locked away, might be worth money to someone.  Two-piece woodland camo ACBDU's? I wouldn't push it.

Morale patches on the little swatch of velcro that remains after you take the pocket flap off: DON'T do it, even if RM does.  A lot of folks just don't get that looking 'salty' in CAP has a tendency to backfire.  I put velcro-backed 3M black reflective tape on mine-low profile, but it does the trick. You barely notice it, but shines like a flashlight when viewed through NVG's.

I actually take the pen-pocket flap and have it made into a lower-leg pen pocket: that was one feature of the McPeak flightsuit that I liked.

If you want to modify flightsuits and gear, do what's comfortable, will help you get found if you are lost, if you know what I mean, but don't do something that is going to draw undue attention.

Hawk200

Quote from: DakRadz on July 06, 2010, 12:46:45 AM
Quote from: Hawk200 on July 06, 2010, 12:34:27 AM
crap flap

+5

Quote from: a2capt on July 06, 2010, 12:44:58 AM

Agreed on all counts.
Never heard of it? The first time I saw one of those suits, I asked a soldier what it was intended for. That's what he told me.

They actually work, and quite well, too. A surplus store had those things for about ten bucks, and I bought a couple for working on the truck. Had to go once, figured I'd test it out. Works as advertised. Why they haven't put those things in flightsuits yet is beyond me.

DakRadz

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 06, 2010, 01:08:57 AM
Never heard of it? The first time I saw one of those suits, I asked a soldier what it was intended for. That's what he told me.

They actually work, and quite well, too. A surplus store had those things for about ten bucks, and I bought a couple for working on the truck. Had to go once, figured I'd test it out. Works as advertised. Why they haven't put those things in flightsuits yet is beyond me.

Sir, I believe everyone's flightsuit is the same (inside the service branch, at least); fighter pilots still have a lot of pull- what fighter jock is going to want a crap flap? Takes away from his arrogance, cause he's mortal now.

>:D >:D ;) ;D ;D

To any and all fighter pilots, I'm kidding. To everyone, please don't take that seriously.

Short Field

SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640