Deviant flight suit?

Started by ArmyCAP, July 05, 2010, 06:35:20 PM

blackrain

I actually have a "Armor Crewman" nomex suit. Issued in Iraq. A lot of guys in downrange started wearing the Armor Crewman or regular flight suits due to the terrorists putting accelerants (gasoline, propane etc.) in the car bombs to enhance the fireball. Some guys did get burns as result of close encounters.

I personally don't see why either wouldn't be good IMHO.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

Hawk200

Quote from: blackrain on July 06, 2010, 03:22:12 AMI actually have a "Armor Crewman" nomex suit.
That's a tanker suit. The original terminology was "Combat Vehicle Crewman" uniform. The latest item is the "Improved-Combat Vehicle Crewman" (I-CVC) Uniform (or "coverall"). "Armor crewman suit" is just a different term for the same thing.

Quote from: blackrain on July 06, 2010, 03:22:12 AM
The manual says "flight suit", not "whatever is made of Nomex that you can get a hold of and feel like wearing." If you're not wearing an actual flight suit, then you're not wearing an authorized uniform.

Most of the military flight suits out there are of the same few patterns, and there is very little difference between them. They're readily available.

blackrain

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 06, 2010, 03:07:21 PM
Quote from: blackrain on July 06, 2010, 03:22:12 AMI actually have a "Armor Crewman" nomex suit.
That's a tanker suit. The original terminology was "Combat Vehicle Crewman" uniform. The latest item is the "Improved-Combat Vehicle Crewman" (I-CVC) Uniform (or "coverall"). "Armor crewman suit" is just a different term for the same thing.

Quote from: blackrain on July 06, 2010, 03:22:12 AM
The manual says "flight suit", not "whatever is made of Nomex that you can get a hold of and feel like wearing." If you're not wearing an actual flight suit, then you're not wearing an authorized uniform.

Most of the military flight suits out there are of the same few patterns, and there is very little difference between them. They're readily available.

Totally agree on what the reg says.

I was speaking from a purely practical point of view. I actually have the dark blue flightsuit I wear when I fly. Though being able to use the CVC uniform as a backup if needed would be a plus at least for me.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

BillB

Deviants now have their own flight suits?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Hawk200

Quote from: blackrain on July 06, 2010, 04:57:35 PMI was speaking from a purely practical point of view. I actually have the dark blue flightsuit I wear when I fly. Though being able to use the CVC uniform as a backup if needed would be a plus at least for me.
Unfortunately, that's not an option. It would be nice.

I doubt you'd probably ever need a backup. Most functions only last a day or two. Even without showers available, a person can clean up enough to be acceptable with only one flightsuit.

O-Rex

flyboy53

Unless I missed it, 39-1 only reflects a sage green Nomex flight suit...which leads me to suspect that a flight suit from another service, as long as it fits that category, should be o.k., especially since the Air Force has gone through several variations of flight suits to include ones with epauletes and sewn-in creases.

Besides, there are those people, even on AD, who will cut that patch off over the pens.

It harkens back to when I was a member of the Indiana Wing in the 1970s. The wing issued a bunch of OD Army helmets to aircrew because they still had O-1s and I was given a flight suit from the Navy. The pockets were different and from time to time I have seen those flight suits still worn or sitting in some unit's inventory.

As far as the Army two peice,  I've seen those issued as well. My son got two of the shirts as a cadet. I've also continued to see it worn in pieces as flight suit. The shirts actually look like a very light-weight flight jacket...and they're sage green Nomex.

Mustang

Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2010, 07:18:53 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on July 05, 2010, 06:50:50 PM
Meh, it's a non-issue. it gives you a place to put the Aux On/Off patch,

..which are uber lame...

Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

HGjunkie

Quote from: Mustang on July 09, 2010, 09:25:24 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 05, 2010, 07:18:53 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on July 05, 2010, 06:50:50 PM
Meh, it's a non-issue. it gives you a place to put the Aux On/Off patch,

..which are uber lame...

Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment.
Dang...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF